Current college student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ksrunner, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ksrunner

ksrunner Rookie

Oct 24, 2014

Hi, I'm a male student going into my 2nd year studying early childhood with teacher certification. I'm very excited to become an elementary teacher, but had several questions. I'm worried about the big amount of debt that i'm going to have, I heard there are forgiveness programs to reduce them? Also I have such a passion for kids and teaching, but very paranoid about the looks or judgement I'll get since I'm a male dealing with young children.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 24, 2014

I am a male and do not worry at all about the any looks or judgment.

Honestly, I think it is disgusting that people really think that way about male teachers and I would not want my kids around a parent that is thinking such odd thoughts by openly displaying them.

I think it is irresponsible as a parent to have those concerns and allow thier child in a male teacherrs classroom. If they have concerns they should NEVER allow their child in a male teachers classroom....ever!!!!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

You really can't worry about the looks and judgement. You'll have to just get over it if teaching early childhood is what you want to do.

As far as the debt goes, my best advice is to work as much as you can to pay for college costs upfront, don't rack up any other debt (cars, credit cards), and if you have to take out loans, take out the minimum amount needed. I always took the maximum amount (extra money to spend, yay!), while making payments on a car, and using credit cards. Horrible, horrible, horrible idea. For some reason college kids (including myself at the time) think that they can afford nice apartments, decent cars, and nice clothes. The truth for many, however (including myself) is that you're dirt poor. So live like you're dirt poor. Work 2 jobs, drive a beater, and buy your clothes on clearance. You'll be thanking yourself after graduation.

5. Rox

Rox Cohort

Oct 24, 2014

I was able to have about $3,000 of my Perkins loan forgiven because I became a special education teacher. They have some other qualifications for this as well (military, teacher in a low-income school, etc.), it's worth a try to check it out.

6. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 24, 2014

In the district I sub for, there are a good number of males as to females in the elementary schools, much more than I remember when I was growing up. A regular I sub for is a male kindergarten teacher, actually. I've subbed for many, many male 3rd and 4th grade teachers. I think it's great. The students respect the male teachers very much! Not that they don't respect the women, but...I can just see the love and adoration they have for their teachers. The boy students really enjoy having male instructors (and I think part of this is because we are low-income, and it's many single mothers raising their kids).