CURIOUS:When does fall semester 05 begin?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kinderkids, Jul 13, 2005.

1. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

New teachers-August 9-11
    All Teachers-August 15-18
    First Day of School-August 22

2. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 20, 2005

In DC..
    New Teachers - Aug 17th
    Veteran Teachers - Aug. 23rd
    Students - Aug. 29th

We got out on June 14th Students and Teachers.

Trease

3. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jul 20, 2005

Done May 31
    I'm a band director so I'm on an extended contract.
    I have band kids starting August 1

4. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

Teachers August 1st
    Students August 8th
    I feel like I just left!!!

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 24, 2005

Teachers - Sept. 1 for inservice
    Students and Teachers - Sept. 7

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2005

Teachers - August 22
    Kids - August 29
    We got out on June 16.

I have always wished I didn't go back until after Labor Day, but now that I've read all of your responses, I don't feel so bad! So many of you start so early!

Who was it that had a scheduling issue, so kids and teachers start the same day??? How horrible! How will you ever get any prep work, unpacking, etc, done??
    Kim

7. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 24, 2005

Districts vary within a few days in Central California...mine:

Teachers: August 15 for three days' inservice
    Students: August 18 (yup, a Thursday)
    New Teachers (me):
    July 26-27, BTSA (beginning teacher support...this is two days of classroom management with positive discipline emphasis!)

August 8-11 (half days) for orientation from payroll to classroom decorating to our newly adopted reading program, etc. I'm pleased to be getting so much good info ahead of time!!

8. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 25, 2005

In Minnesota-Sept. 1st. Teachers in my district start Aug. 23. earlier for new teachers.
    Next year, after labor day-new state law :( Which means we will be going into the middle of June!

9. teach4

teach4 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Teachers: Aug 8th
    Students:20 somthing
    For the school were I teach, my daughter starts the same time I do Aug 8th but that is middle school.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2005

Teachers-We have a summer? Technically we start back Aug. 8 (most of us have only had part of July off)
    Students-August 19th, FRIDAY!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2005

As I looked through this list again, I see many of you started, are starting very soon, or within a couple of weeks. Just wishing everyone a fantastic year! I know I'm glad to have this forum with so many great ideas and shoulders "to lean on" this school year. Wish I would have found it sooner! Thanks Amanda!

12. rojo32

rojo32 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

School starts August 15...its approaching quickly!

13. teach4

teach4 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I agree with kinderkids I to wished I had found this site sooner, I really need a shoulder lean on last year, it was a BAD year up until April and then the problem took care of its self. I'm also asking all of you to pray for this year as they have moved all our assit. teacher around so we will all be working with people we aren't use to, the assit. at our school (very small school) seem to get along but the lady that has been put into my class doesn't seem to like to be in this class, I don't know if its me or the age I teach but she was in this age group as the assit. when I came in as the teacher and she couldn't wait to transfer to a different class and I only work with her about a month in that class room I have worked with her at the school this year will be 3 years and she acted like she liked me and last year she would laugh and cut up with me (we were in different classes, she got the transfer from the year before) but when she was told she had to come into my class this year she was very upset, I hope that I've not done any thing to upset her. It just bothers me that she feels this way and to I've never had any trouble working with any one I'm pretty laid back and that may just be the problem she thinks I need to be more stern with the kids but some of them come from a bad place in life and I don't want them to think of school as a bad place,especially as young as what I teach(pre-K age) so as long as they are following the class room rules and the schools rules I don't interfer to much, I do make them follow the rules but I'm not loud and I don't use time away unless they just will not do as they are ask and this assit. thinks they should be quiet and toe the line and she doesn't like some of the kids and she does not hide it and we don't agree there I feel like they should all be loved, thats not to say that I've "liked" all the children that's come thru my class in the last 20+ years but I've tried my best to not to show it to the child. Please just pray and if any one has any suggestion on how I can make these moves a postive I would really love to hear from you because I want to have a great year and I really want this person to like me and my class.
    Teach4

14. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I feel your pain. I was so fortunate to have a wonderful and cooperative assistant, but I can imagine how uncomfortable you feel. Is it possible to meet with this person 1 on 1 and discuss your teaching philosophy and expections for the students and for her? Perhaps that will help. Good luck to you. :)

15. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 6, 2005

In my town the high school starts August 17th, the elementary school the last week in August to get a few days in before Labor Day. IF I get the job I interviewed for, kids come August 29th.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2005

Teachers: Aug. 29th
    Students: Aug. 3th

I'm curious - what do all of you do who go back a week or two before the students? Meetings, etc? Even though we only "have" to go back a day before students come, in order to be ready we are in a lot more than that - just not getting paid!

17. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Aug 6, 2005

Teachers august 1st
    Students august 4th

18. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Teachers - 8/29
    Students 8/31

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 6, 2005

Missy-We do our 60 hours of continuing education before school starts.

20. teach4

teach4 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Thank you for replying, I thouht about talking with her during some free time during in-service, we have to go all week starting monday aug 8th so i will have some time to get things hopefully worked out.
    teach4

21. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 13, 2005

I'm somewhat curious. Those of you who begin school at the beginning of August do you teach in air conditioned schools? Most districts in my area do not begin until after Labor Day. Schools in my area are not air conditioned, especially those in the cities. Many times in June if the temp. reached into the low 90's the schools would close. Today our temp. is to reach near 100 degrees. I can't imagine being in a classroom with 25 students, on the third floor of a school, with no air conditioning.

22. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 13, 2005

Yes, my school is air conditioned. I used to teach in MD and my school was not air conditioned and I can remember some beastly hot days. I didn't want to do anything and the kids certainly didn't want to learn anything either.

23. MYSTARS

MYSTARS New Member

Aug 13, 2005

Teachers Aug. 29th
    Students Sept. 6th

24. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 13, 2005

We start Aug. 29th.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 13, 2005

Ours have air conditioners. Today it's 105. It should be this way throughout August. It's usually not a problem until the rainy season (I'm outside), or the cold season (when we get ice storms).

26. dee

dee Companion

Aug 13, 2005

We have air conditioner in our school. I can not imagine teaching without it.

27. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 13, 2005

We only have air conditioning in the new wing which houses 2 kindergarten classes, gifted and talented, teacher's room, music room and one resource center, the remainder of the school is brutal! Summer school had only half of the rooms air conditioned but we ended at 12:00 so it was not all that bad!

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2005

I'm lucky...my school is only 10 years old, so we have central air and carpeted classrooms. I am so spoiled!