curious: What's your method for setting up your room?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by paperheart, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

Peachyness, do you at least have the weekend to get some work done in your classroom?

I'm going to have a week, and I was complaining, but not anymore! :unsure:

2. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I always sketch out a potential layout of how I want to set up my classroom before I go in the first time over summer vacation. Naturally, once I get there, I never end up using the layout I had planned to use. :) Anyhow, I arrange the furniture first and then work on putting up my bulletin boards. After that, I work on making sure certain areas of my classroom are ready to go (for example, my workshop way area). Then it's time to lesson plan and start preparing for the start of the year.

3. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I work better under pressure, and I'll have that as I can't get into my new room til late next week and I haven't even seen it yet so I don't have a visual game plan. We start the 15th. I don't know if I have desks or tables, or what. IT's usually like moving into a new house. I rearrange and rearrange til I'm comfortable. Then I usually change it again just before school starts. I'm hoping there's enough wall space for all of my posters.

4. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I'm glad that I came across this thread. I feel the same way that everyone else does. I went into my room today and just stood there looking around thinking "What do I do first?" I am so jealous because so many of the other teachers have their rooms looking beautiful. I had to attend a training out of town so I couldn't work in my room. To top it off, I can't arrange desks because I don't have any yet. I can't do my BB's yet because I have to wait for my white board to be installed. I am going to go tomorrow and unpack my things and put them in the cabinets and whatever else I can figure out to do. I feel so overwhelmed. School starts in 9 days :(

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2007

That's a big negative there. I asked and the earliest we can come in is on a Monday and school starts 2 days later. We also have a staff meeting monday morning and a district wide meeting Tuesday. I plan to get in as early in the morning both days and stay to the late late night. I will close my door and lock it so that no one can come a bug me. Because of this thread, I at least have a good idea of where I need to begin. I plan to first organize the big furniture and student desks. Then, I put up the necessary information on the wall (concept and question board, greeting to my kids, room number and my name on the door. I'm going to wait till the second day to start with the other BBs. I figure those aren't AS important.) Then, I'll unpack all of my TEs, student supplies, and my supplies. Crafts, stuff for holidays, will stay in the boxes until I have time to unpack those. I packed over 40 boxes and numbered the boxes. On a notepad, I wrote the numebers and what the contents were in each box. That way, when I get to a box, all I have to do is look at the number and look at my list to see if it's important or not. I'll put non important boxes off to the side and the others I'll unpack. That way, I won't overwhelm myself with too much stuff to do in just 2 days. I can't believe that we won't get any time to unpack and plan for the new year. It's going to be crazy!

I have constant migraine attacks, nightmares, restless nights, stomache aches...... I can't wait for school to begin so I can actually DO something!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

It'll be crazy but it'll get done! I'm sure you are doing as much as you can at home. I have all my folders and nametags ready. I've pretty much planned my first three weeks, and I'm almost done with my curriculum map. Just trying to get as much done now, so that the short time I have to set up my room can be totally devoted to that! It will all come together Peachyness!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2007

Oh yeah. I figured out my schedule, discipline, rewards, printed posters, worksheets, activities, games, BB ideas, read three teacher books, read up on readers and writers workshop, I organized my whole new library, etc. It just would be nice to get in now and actually put my stuff up on the wall, and see it all come together.

Planning is my next step. I made a rough draft schedule of day one. I want to go through that and make sure it makes sense. Then I will actually plan the first three weeks. It will be tough though as I have pretty much no experience in 5th. I student taught 5th but that was later in the year and under another teacher.

I'm sure it will all come together. I'm just getting very impatient.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I'm trying something new...since I'm moving into a new classroom (it's not even finished yet) after partnering with a Kinder teacher my first two years, I brought EVERYTHING home with me. It's in boxes in the kitchen, living room, garage.... I've been working on things all summer: set up student files, made up new desk files, did two sets of name plates, organized my LitConn file, etc. Whatever I can be doing without the classroom. This is the most I've ever been able to do before the school year starts, so I'm feeling okay. BUT I WANT TO GET INTO MY ROOM! We're doing Back-to-School Night the NIGHT BEFORE school starts, so we really do want to have the rooms looking good!

On another note, I wonder just how many teachers are undiagnosed ADD folks?! I know I hop, skip, and jump around things so much that it takes forever to get one task completely finished! :D

9. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I am moving rooms this year. I saw my room the other day. It is basically the same as my old trailer, except the walls are in much better shape (no ripped paper, no graffiti, no holes, etc), so I don't think I am going to spend a ton of time covering the walls in butcher paper as planned. I will just cover the middle section of each wall. There is also this weird big black box with electronic lights and stuff protruding out of the wall that is sort of a big eye sore, but I'll deal with it and make it look like some high tech science thing. Unfortunately I can't do anything with it yet until they clean the floors (if they get around to doing it!). My plan is to set up the desks, then the walls, then the shelves, filing cabinets, etc.

10. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Well, I was told on the last day that I was switching rooms. So the other teacher and I decided to move everything that day. So we emptied our closets, rooms, and desk.Everything except our file cabinets. We wrote please move to ____. Well, two days later we get an email from the vp that we must move all of the contents out of the file cabinets. So yesterday, which was one of my only free days this summer. I went in and carried the contents of 2 tall filecabinets downstairs and a hall in 95* w/o air. I wanted to start on the room b/c I am going from a really large room to a very small room. Everything we moved on the last day is just stashed into the closet. Problem is the next day that I will be free is only one day during the week before school and then we are doing a mini-vacation. The week we return we have 5 days of meetings 2 full days 3 half days. So, we will be able to work for 1/2 a day three days and probably all weekend.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 28, 2007

Peachyness- That was our school last year. We had to wait and wait because they were still building it. We had two days to move in and unpack, but it was really 1 1/2 days. We started moving in on a Saturday, had open house on Sunday afternoon, and school started on Monday.

12. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I have no idea what my room will look like when I get in it. Not like I left it, that is for sure. I'll start with my desk, at least getting it where it belongs. Then, if I have week after next like I hope, I'll put the desks into groups and start cleaning out the cabinets. After the cabinets are reorganized, I'll unpack the library, and finally rearrange the desks into rows. If I have time to get to the bulletin boards, fine, otherwise they will wait. Same with getting the Sound Spelling Cards back up. I can only do those with someone else in the room as I'm not allowed to get up on the ladder alone. My husband and friends won't let me. :rolleyes:

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks everyone for making me feel sooo much better!!! It seems I'm always the first to start on my room and the last to finish it. I'm also the one everyone else comes to for advise, "Come tell me what you think" ,etc.- this being one of the reason I like this sight, I'm always searching for answers for others as well as myself). I'm not complaing, I don't mind at all, but being a bit of a procrastinator myself, and one that bounces from one task to another when trying to organize and figure things out..... This year is worse because I had to pack everything up, empty the room, paint the room and had new floors layed. I teach PK4 and have A LOT of "stuff"!! I too weed out every year (you'd never know it though), but then I haven't met a PK teacher yet that has an easy time throwing things out, you know, you may need it for an art project some day..... Anyway, I love reading about organizational tips, room design, seeing pictures of classrooms, actually I just love this site and the networking here with others that know exactly where each is coming from (been there, done that, or will). Thanks everyone and have fun with your decorating! Have a great year!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

Teachers at my school don't do their rooms before teacher work week. Someone saw me cutting out laminated things the other day and said, 'Lessons already?' Ummmm, yes. Teachers are supposed to plan in advance. They make me feel like I'm neurotic when they're just lazy. Or something.

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

same here!! And a lot of teachers moved rooms this year (not me) and I STILL don't expect any to come more than a couple days early. I like to set up early but wish I didn't have to look so eager and be bothersome to the janitorial staff to let me in the room and help me move things when it is so out of the ordinary for me to be there.

16. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

That's me too-I've been sitting on the couch the past 2 nights cutting out things I laminated while watching TV! I also asked the secretary yesterday if I could go ahead and get my keys. There's so much going on during that first work week, I try to get as much done as possible as early as I can!

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

In my district, there is no such thing as a teacher work week. We all start drifting in the second week of August to see if our rooms are ready yet. Some people don't come in until one or two days before school starts.

18. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I found out that I was moving from 4th to K a week after school was out. That was a Friday. The next Monday I went to school to start moving and found that the custodians had moved all the K furniture into the room for me. All I had to move was my personal stuff and they helped with that too. I spent 4 days arranging and decorating my room. I had to get rid of some of the furniture because it came from a much larger room. Due to computers and outlets, it was a challenge but I finally found a workable arrangement. After all the furniture was arranged and learning centers set up, I added the decorative stuff. I still have to put up the Alphabet, numbers, and put the rest of my books on the shelves so that gives me something to do during our 2 work days next week.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

You've gotten far, ecsmom. Good for you.

Mrs. R., you mean you won't have the benefit of long-winded speeches to get you 'excited' for the new year? Won't have to do a stupid game to acquaint you with new teachers? Won't have to argue over who gets the laminating machine only to hear how expensive the laminating film is? Won't have to have togetherness lunches to promote harmony among staff? Poor you. You'll only be able to work on your room and your lesson plans. :unsure: (Sigh) :eek:

20. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Of all things, I've been stressing about bb's. :eek: My first year (11-12th grades) I didn't have a clue what to do, what to buy, etc., but this really nice teacher gave me some stuff and helped me get something on the bb. The next year I taught, I only had two very small boards, and one was pretty much not visible to the class. I just slapped something up there. Last year, I had a little more fun with it, but had to keep it generically age appropriate, i.e., I had 7-12 (small school). But, I had a lot of fun with it. Now, I haven't seen my classroom, but I'm hoping there's a nice, big board to work with. I splurged yesterday and bought a Mary Englebreit set I'd been wanting, some borders, and a "welcome" sign. I'm also making a wreath for my door (or someplace :) ) and brainstorming some other ideas. I've been going through my desk boxes of stuff, weeding out junk, etc. There's plenty I can do at home right now til I see my room, but I'm really in a decorating mood right now! I can't wait. :party:

21. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

We have one day of professional development the day before the kids come. We'll have a large whole-district "warm-up" for about an hour or so - we have a new superintendent, so I'm curious to see what it will be like. Then we go back to our individual buildings for meetings. The next day the kids come for a half a day and then we meet in teams for the afternoon. Compared to some of you, I feel pretty lucky!

22. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Pitiful, isn't it?:rolleyes: I wonder what it would be like to not have the back-to-school lecture. I got my new-to-district and first-teacher-day schedules yesterday. Luckily, to buffer the inevitable boring blow, I found out that we get a "gift card" (probably WalMart and that's good) and a "wonderful breakfast." Oh, yeah, and a goodie bag from the local chamber of commerce. Small towns are nice:wub: :wub:

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2007

No method, really. One minute it seems so orderly, and the next moment, it's erratic. :) I even took a photo during an "erratic" moment recently.

24. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Wow, I feel so much better, I have had keys all summer, you can go in whenever you want, my problem is turning it OFF!!! This site doesn't help the insomnia...but it helps the planner organizer in me!

I am moving grades, site, and froma job share, so although Ihave taught 22 years, it feels like the first...both in anxiety and thrill!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.