Curious about Sixth grade

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jan 11, 2015

What does it look like? How many classes? Teacher schedule? What are some pluses and minuses? What's been your experience? Would love to hear your experiences and knowledge. Thank you.

3. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 12, 2015

I have two periods of 6th grade gym. It is a lot different compared to 7th grade.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2015

I have taught every grade level from 6th to 12th and I can say that by-and-far 6th grade is the easiest in regards to management and motivation. Many 6th graders can still be "scared" into behaving, are eager to please and are easier to motivate/keep their interest. Basically, I have to pull less tricks out of my bag when I teach 6th grade. Teaching is never a cake-walk, of course, but teaching 6th grade is the least stressful - for me. This is all only my opinion.

When I taught 6th grade, depending on the year; I sometimes had up to 4 sections and sometimes I taught on a A Day/B Day schedule.

As a social studies teacher, I have never been able to just teach 6th grade; I've always had to teach 6th and 7th grade (along with the Science teacher) but the Math and ELA teachers only taught 6th graders. So this may be something to ask about.

Good luck!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 12, 2015

I don't like sixth grade. They are too immature for me. I've taught every grade from 6-12, and my least favorite is 6th, followed closely by 9th.

Our 6th grade has looked different over the years.

Originally it was self-contained in a K-6 building. Then we moved to a 5/6 center and they switched classes once a day. Now we have a 6-8 school, and they change classes every period.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 12, 2015

I loved 6th grade! I loved 6th, despised 7th, and loved 8th (until 4th quarter-then I was over them).

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 12, 2015

You'll notice that 6th grade will vary from district-to-district.

For the past few decades, middle school has been 6th-8th grade (in my district, that is). Therefore, students switched classes every period.

Beginning next year, we are moving to K-6 and 7-8 sites. All 6th graders will be taught by one teacher instead of switching teachers/classes every period.

I taught 6th grade ELA & Social Studies for one year. Definitely was my least favorite year as a classroom teacher.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 12, 2015

When I taught 6th, I started out as all self-contained. Then we started to treat it as a transition year, where they switched classes for 2 periods a day (well, more if you count PE, Music, and Band). They would go to the other side of the building for language arts.

9. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Jan 12, 2015

I think it depends on your personality as a teacher. I have found that generally I enjoy kids more the older they get. BUT, I have had great 6th grade classes and awful 11th grade classes.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2015

I also prefer older kids - 11th and 12th graders are my favs - but, 6th grade is much easier to manage/deal with in my experience.

If a person is new to teaching MS or secondary, I suggest 6th grade.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 12, 2015

I teach 6th and 7th all day (SPED, mostly.) One period mixed, the others separate....there is definitely a maturity difference. 6th is easier to manage, but I find them goofy. Like eager puppies. Our 6th graders are in a 6-8 building and switch classes like everyone else.

12. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jan 12, 2015

I have taught 1st through 8th and I love 6th grade. They are young and immature-yet old enough to work independently. They are mostly excited about learning. I teach in a middle school so I only teach one subject (Social Studies).

13. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 12, 2015

6th grade is one of my favorites. In an elementary setting, they can be difficult. In a middle school setting, they are great because they are scared of older kids, of getting ready for high school, etc. they are still babies and aren't a hormonal mess, unlike 7th grade.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2015

I teach 6th grade math and it has been a very good year in terms of management and kids eager to learn. This is my 2nd year as a teacher. Last year, I taught 1 advanced 7th grade, 1 advanced 8th grade, and 4 regular 8th grade math. It was a difficult year and that's not even factoring in being a new teacher! Overall, 6th graders are fun and want to please me and they can sometimes be really goofy. And I'm the same way so classes are fun and manageable. :thumb:

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jan 14, 2015

That's very interesting. Hadn't thought about that.

I'm guessing that as far as curriculum-- not too far from fifth grade?

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 14, 2015

I would say in my experience, 6th grade curriculum was mostly a continuation of skills introduced in 5th. The exception for me was social studies-completely different topic. American History in 5th, World in 6th.