Curious about Mixed-ability grouping

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by studentteacher7, Mar 29, 2006.

1. studentteacher7

studentteacher7 Rookie

Mar 29, 2006

Hi I am a student teacher that is in a kindergarten class one day a week. In my class for guided reading the class is broken up into 4 groups by level. Each group reads a different book according to their level-does a picture walk, each child reads a page, then each child reads the whole book. In a way, I think grouping the students by level is good because they are not doing something that is too easy or too challenging for them. They are working on their level. They are fortunate enough to have 4 teachers to work with each group. On the other hand, if they weren't grouped by level, the students wouldn't know who is it at what level, and they could learn from each other and assist others. I am just curious if anyone using the mixed-ability grouping (where they are not broken into their levels but rather as a whole class) could tell me exactly how do you address all the students needs and abilities if they are working as one group?

3. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Mar 29, 2006

benefit for English Language Learners

I don't usually use mixed ability groupings for Reading/Language Arts. However, your question caused me to remember some of my classes for English Language Learners. Mixed ability groups can be very beneficial in spurring language via a Science, Math, Social Studies activities. In this type of setting, the ELL has an opportunity to pick up language in an authentic conversation AS WELL AS share some of his experience/knowledge of a subject with others.

4. k5teacher

k5teacher Rookie

Apr 1, 2006

I teach kindergarten and I do the guided reading groups. I have 5 of them plus two children that I work with by themselves. It would be very hard to meet all of the children's needs if they were in a whole group because the children would probably end up acting like they do in shared reading. The children who do not have as many reading skills as others tend to sit back and let the other children take the lead. It would just be very hard to get them involved and teach them the reading skills that they need to learn. That's just what I think.

5. geegee

geegee Companion

Apr 1, 2006

mixed ability grouping

hi ,where i teach, we use the guided reading method,i have a class of 34 students with just me to work with them!!!!while reading i usually walk around to see if all have their fingers on the right sentence and particularly the right word.i get them to number each sentence of the lesson and call out the number so that those who haven't being paying attention know exactly where they are.it is very difficult in the beginning but by and by they get the hang of it.
    i ask the parents to help me when the reader goes home for the weekend.after the entire lesson is done which takes over two weeks normally i ask each child to read random sentences to see if they can read and give a feedback to the parents ;)

6. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Apr 1, 2006

I pair my children up to read. Most of the time I chose their partner, sometimes pairing a high/low or two same level together. Every once in a while I let them chose the partner they wish to work with (this is when I'm in a really good mood and their playing around doesn't bother me :D ) My assistant and I go around the room and listen to them read to each other, encouraging them to help each other when necessary but not to "read" for the other student.

7. geegee

geegee Companion

Apr 1, 2006

thats an idea i cld try using next yr ...but wont it be noisy...our management is very particular abt too much noise from the classroom!!

8. studentteacher7

studentteacher7 Rookie

Apr 4, 2006

Thank you for your feedback!

9. geegee

geegee Companion

Apr 5, 2006

you're welcome.