Curiosity Rover!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bison, Aug 6, 2012.

1. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 6, 2012

I was surprised not to see a thread on this already!

Did anyone else stay up to watch the Mars landing? It was suspenseful, exciting, and an absolutely beautiful moment for science and for humans! Just mindblowing! Definitely something to talk to students about. The initial b&w hazcam photos were incredible, so I cannot WAIT for the high-res color photos coming this week.

This has been such an incredible year for science, and I feel so very lucky to witness it. If you couldn't tell, I'm still pretty excited! :lol:

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

I AM SO EXCITED!

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

Totally something worth being excited about, Bison. Great job NASA. I hope to see the day when humans set foot on the 4th planet from the sun.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2012

There was an overnight thread for those of us who watched the JPL's reaction to the actual landing.

6. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Stayed up last night to watch the coverage on the NASA website. Very exciting! Incredible and audacious engineering feat to get the rover on the surface of Mars. The space program once again gives us inspiring news when there is so much wrong going on in the world. I will be sharing this triumph with the students this year.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2012

The first pic from Curiosity...

[​IMG]

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2012

I saw that one this morning and flat-out cackled in the middle of the medical office where I'm working this summer. Scared the office manager until I could get her to my monitor to see it.

Rockhubby stayed up until 4am watching the photos come in from Mars. He's like a little kid watching the news.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

I find it interesting that everyone gets all "rah, rah, go NASA!" when something like this is in the news, yet are all for gutting the budget every other time

Every recent president has trashed NASA. Bush talked up grandiose ideas then failed to fund any of it. Obama gave it the death knell.

This current mission was already funded, but future maintenance is in grave danger, including collaborations with the ESA. The planetary program has new budget cuts of 20-30%.

The worst part is that the cost of restarting or tooling back up is way more than any amount saved.

I suppose one day people figure out that NASA is an important part of American national identity when it is too late. The Russians have never forgotten this. Not to mention how vital NASA's overall mission is to science education and science advancement.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this issue is one of my pet peeves. So many people think that NASA is an expendable luxury; it isn't!

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I agree. This nation has made a colossal blunder in decimating the manned and unmanned space program. NASA's budget was approximately $17.5 billion. This number varied slightly from year to year. This is 0.5 cents per dollar of the federal budget. Really? That is what was bankrupting this country?

Loss of jobs, loss of prestige, loss of inspiration for our students, loss of technological advancements, loss of .......

The list goes on.

I will continue to use the space program as a source of wonderment and inspiration for my students. The astronauts from the Mercury missions through the Space Shuttle will be held up as examples for the students to emulate.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2012

The good news is that the program is coming back. They are hiring new astronauts for the first time since 2005 (my Rockhubby has an application in the pool, so please keep your fingers crossed). The next generation of space transit is being contracted and built, even if it's by private industry. Kids can still dream of going into space. Heck, my husband is 42 and couldn't sleep last night because he was so excited about the possibilities.

If anything, the continued success of Curiosity will pull us out of the rut in which we find ourselves.

12. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

An astronaut applicant! That is great news. Age is no longer a big factor (John Glenn) so at 42 your husband will bring a lot of wisdom with him as an applicant. You will have a lot to talk about with your students!