Cures for senioritis?

Discussion in 'High School' started by JackTrader, Mar 15, 2010.

1. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 15, 2010

I subbed for a honors history class (aimed for AP tests) that mostly enrolls sophomores, but has a few seniors in it. The sophs are pretty motivated and gung-ho, but the seniors just weren't very motivated and didn't want to do the classwork. One of them pretty much admitted as a 2nd semester senior, after 3 1/2 years of working hard, he wasn't very motivated to put out. I did advise him that if he really let it go - he would 1) risk failing the class, then 2) not get his diploma AND 3) any college that accepted him could pull their acceptance if he did not get the diploma.

I thought that was a poor example to set for the sophomores - not to mention that it interfered with classroom management. I told the regular teacher about it and he was not happy at all - said he would talk to the students' parents.

What are some things/tasks that you do to combat senioritis?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2010

Pretty much the only real cure is graduation.

At this point, they're in, or almost in, their colleges.

The kids who have had good grades have enough wiggle room that they really can afford to slack off-- they have the points to spare. Worse yet, those kids are smart enough to do the math and realize it.

So, yeah, I've always been able to get Seniors to work for me until they finish. But most of that is a respect issue-- they like and respect me enough to do as I ask. And also, when I've taught Seniors, I've worked it so the material I cover in the Spring is the more interesting material-- the really challenging work is already over and done with.

4. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Mar 15, 2010

Final exam = 25% of grade.

Lotta parent phone calls.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2010

I keep mine busy. More frequent tests, smaller projects with shorter timelines.

6. Mr. A

Mr. A Rookie

Mar 17, 2010

You got it.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 17, 2010

I just keep pushing ... I don't buy into their senioritis arguments.

8. Castaway

Castaway Rookie

Mar 17, 2010

Oh yes, senioritis exists.

Graduation is the main cure, it's true, but perhaps a better way to deal with senioritis would be to bust out the really fun hands on stuff right now. Tests and extra work only go so far, and will only make the senioritis worse or more targeted at your class. This is the long stretch were I always appreciated a good hands on unit, or movie tie in.

Leaving all of the heavy work for this time of year is a mistake, and hounding the parents doesn't usually work very well. These kids can taste freedom, and there isnt much that can be done. Keep the lessons fun and interesting, and you'll be good to go.

9. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 19, 2010

Its really bad when you have semester classes. We just started new courses in Feb. Two months and we only covered two chapters in Advanced Algebra. Most are already accepted and have already taken entrance exams, SAT's, ACT's, ASVAB's and HSPA's. This is there fourth year of math and Jersey only requires three to graduate, so grades don't motivate many of them.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2010

I know we did a lot of lil projects. We would read books & compare to movies. We had a big Medevil dinner we all had roles & dressed the part. It was a lot of fun.

Maybe have some people in different careers come talk.

11. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

have them teach!

12. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 10, 2012

I just keep rollin' along. I don't slow down; I don't speed up. I don't listen any "but it's May!" stuff. The kids do like me and wouldn't want to disappoint me: that is part of it, as Alice said. I also have relatively few all-senior classes. We're all electives 10-12.

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 10, 2012

I would love to find a cure. I just keep teaching as usual, but the lack of effort drives me crazy. Just make sure you don't make the work easier because the students want it to be.

Covering interesting material can help quite a bit.

When I was a senior, I remember having a very bad case of senioritis myself!

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 10, 2012

Today was our last day with seniors. Now the rest of my students think it's time to party! I fight it by putting a fun unit at the end of the year. Musicals keep their interest pretty well.

15. KatieShow

KatieShow Rookie

May 24, 2012

Our kids get senioritis when they walk through the doors in August. Good avice up there. Keep the pace, and also try to include little projects rather than one big one. I end the year with a short debate unit, and they really like it. Usually.

16. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Jun 17, 2012

Yes, looneyteachr is ON to something good! That works.

Toward the very final WEEK, LET THEM sign yearbooks and visit a little. I found it to be a great time for me to get a few "teacher tasks" done.

17. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 17, 2012

Even the best of students get senioritis. I wanted NOTHING to do with schoolwork after AP exams were done. I skipped class, stopped reading books in AP Lit, stopped caring about supplementary material in AP Calc, left school early, went to a lesson room and sang/played piano instead of going to class, etc. I brought my allowed number of absences to the wire. It was really, really bad, but like Alice said, I had the points to spare and I knew I had the points to spare. Still finished senior year with a 95, and now look at me: becoming a teacher.

However, the second semester of my senior year, I had two periods of chorus, a lunch period, two periods of study hall, and an independent study period which was AP Music Theory from Sept - May. So after APs, I had SIX "free periods".

Sometimes, when the students are doing fine, it may be better to just let them be instead of poking and prodding and potentially annoying them. It doesn't make them bad students or make them any less committed to school; they're just tired and overworked after a hectic year. That's just my opinion though and I'm sure many will disagree.

18. Keylay

Keylay Rookie

Aug 3, 2012

Its all about personally responsibility. I give my students a choice, and give them all the projects and homework for the rest of the year + 2 or 3 for good measure. Then I tell them, once they finish these they are done for the year. (Seniors don't take final exams at my school) However, if decide to do this, I plug in all 0s into the online grade book for those assignments until they are turned in. Motivation for them to start on it right away. They don't like seeing that F on the progress report.

The seniors that realize this is a good deal will go home and the fastest student will do everything in about a month with a month remaining of the school year. If it was an AP course, all they have to do is practice for the AP exam afterwards. They normally have about a month of cool down time, but I can make the argument that that were able to spend class time at home learning the material they needed to know. They still have to take the exams with everyone else and normally ace them because their assignments were harder than the rest. If it is ap class, they are still doing test prep. However, they are not "learning" anything new. Which was my deal with them. No new content.