Cup of Special-tea: July Edition

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 8, 2009

[​IMG]

Okay ladies - welcome to the informal chat within the special ed forum about whatever we want to talk about. I thought I'd get the ball rolling by letting you all know that I'm about to go on two vacations this month... so I'll be coming and going but I'll still be checking in as often as possible.

First topic of informal discussion (which means this can go wherever and we'll just keep the discussion going all month) is:

What kinds of things do we want to discuss in our new group? Should there be any general rules, do's or dont's, etc.?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2009

Let me give that some thought.

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

I like the idea of discussions with other sped teachers. In my Masters class, we had what was called Job Alike groups. I really enjoyed that because we could discuss many issues and problems we were having. In our small group, we were at many different settings of special ed but had many of the same issues! Good idea.
    Maybe we could start with the questions "Why did you go into Special Education?" I'm not sure if that's been discussed before.

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

I like that question. Another one might be - "How do you plan for the first week and keep your sanity?" or "What do you do on day one?"
    OK so that's two...

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2009

Ok, how about...what do you do to meet the varying needs of all your students?
    Another question...what did you do on your summer vacation? (We can't be all work and no play!)
    I see this forum as a way to interact with each other as SPED teachers, both at work and play.

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

I thought of another one. "How do you build a relationship with the regular ed teachers?" I teach mostly inclusion so having that relationship is so important.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

How about, "how do you deal with challenging parents?"

9. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

BeckySue - I like your summer vaca question. In August we can concentrate on the work based questions!

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

What about if your school is year round? Boooo. Luckily, I'll be starting a new job in July- so I'll have a summer next year!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2009

I'll start then...What did you do on your summer vacation?

I have been to Orlando, Vermont, and Orlando again (in a couple of weeks). Been to the beach to enjoy the Blue Angels show. Catching up on sleeping and reading and talking with adults.

12. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

My summer vacation has been sleeping late and really doing whatever I want. My youngest child is now on her own and my husband goes to work. We really don't take a vacation but will spend some time camping in the next few weeks. I've enjoyed the "layback" time.

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

Sorry teachersk! Didn't mean to rub it in.
    Beckysuek - sounds like a lovely summer so far. Are you from FL?
    As a family, we have traveled up to a ranch in NY and enjoyed swimmng in their indoor and outdoor pools (yeah - we are not much for the horseback riding). We are going to go to an amusement park in PA for a week at some point and then spend a few days in Busch Gardens Williamsburg later this summer. We always try to incorporate day trips into our schedule like the zoo, aquarium, local parks, etc.
    OH and my hubbie managed to break a few bones while we were visiting a water park! LOL
    I don't know about anyone else, but does it seem like you are busier during the summer? It's like everyone knows you are off so they ask for help alot... glad to help out, but mighty tired!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

School has only been done for 2 weeks. I had one week off and now and teaching summer school (will be done July 24th). We won't be taking a vacation this year (haven't done for the past few years), but will have a few nights away when my daughter has out-of-town soccer games. She also would love to go to Danier Lake, so I may surprise her with a day trip there. I'm doing a couple of 3-day professional development sessions in August, so the summer will be pretty busy. I most enjoy the change of pace.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 11, 2009

I've been lazy this summer. I have been doing summer extended year services for a few kids of mine. I've been spending too much time online... LOL.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Kidatheart...I've been in Florida almost 30 years so I consider it home. We took a few transfers with my husband's job over the years to Kentucky and Tennessee, but I always want to come home. Orlando is our home town, my children were all born there and we will be going back. I recently received an inheritance that will allow us to become debt free and retire early, so when my daughter graduates from college, we will move back to orlando. At that time, I plan on leaving the classroom and becoming a sub. There are so many new teachers out there looking for jobs and I kind of feel that, since I will be able to, I need to give them a chance to begin their career.

17. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I have been teaching for 30 years...sp. ed, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and multiage classes. I moved from the BIG city to a rural town two years ago and got a job teaching second grade. Because of budget, I was moved from 2nd to a self-contained K-3 classroom. The district neeed highly qualified sp. ed. teachers and being a rural area, hard to find. I am highly qualified elem., sp. ed., and reading.

I would like to talk with other teachers who have the same type program to share ideas, questions, and experiences.

For the month of June, I was lazy!! Read, watch tv and movies, play with my niece and nephew, and let the world go by. Last week, I started wowrking in my new classroom. It needs LOTs of organizing and cleaning out!! Spending a few days in San Diego at the Hotel Del Coronado at the end of the month.
    School starts for teachers on Aug. 4th.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Goldie, I have self contained and have certifications in Elem Ed, Sp Ed, ESOL, Gifted. Therefore, I am always given a unique assortment of students. I do like the fact that I keep my children for several years so we get to develop a good rapport.

19. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

Beckysuek - it's so nice that you are able to do that, and that you care enough for the up and coming teachers to open up a classroom for them. kudos to you!

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

I think it's partly selfish on my part as well. My husband wants to retire and travel and I want to go, too!

21. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jul 12, 2009

So far my summer has been spent reading AtoZ lol, sleeping in, enjoying Price is Right which I've been watching since a little girl, but miss when school is in.

Also went on a trip to MS where we shopped til we dropped. I have a few more mini trips planned to LA and Dallas.

22. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 12, 2009

hmm.. I've had about five weeks off and we've been packing, cleaning, amd moving to a new house. I start back to school in a week and a half so I really don't feel like I've had a summer. I'm jealous of you guys!

23. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

rchlkay - are you in a year round school?

24. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 13, 2009

:woot: Goldie, I LOVE the Hotel Del Coronado!! My husband and I went there for our 10th anniversary last October. Even though it was too cold to swim, it was such a neat experience, wow. I'd love to go back. Have you been there before?

By the way gang, I'm back from vacation (San Antonio). I'm glad to see the thread is alive and kicking! You guys came up with a lot of good questions. Someone mentioned just sticking to light summer-type q's for the time being and I thought that was a pretty good idea. It sounds like we're all traveling and resting at the same time - that's GOOD.

How about I start the August thread with a couple of those work-related Q's? But feel free to chat openly about any questions if you have them - - work-related or fun! Anything goes!

25. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

So, I'm returning to this board after a loong break. I taught h.s. last year and wound up needing different supports. But today I got notice that I'm being transferred to elementary spec ed! I'm certified 1-12 cross categorical.

This summer I've been working a 2nd job and been lazy. Spending time with my boyfriend and our two dogs. Next week I go to Chicago to see my aunt who's flying in. Other then that, been lazy.

26. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

Great idea for a thread! We should be able to get to know each other better, too!

I've been very lazy. I had/have so many plans for house things every summer. Never get to all of them. I've been online a lot, spending time with my 2 kids, and dr visits for the upcoming baby. I've tried to avoid thinking about school. When I left, it was up in the air about what I would be doing. 4th with 19 students, or 3rd with 7 students. Seems like the best laid plans always go awry...I just got official word from the P today that the sub from 3rd isn't able to finish her classes, so she's not licensed yet. They don't want to stick a new teacher with 19 kids, so I get to stay in 4th, even though I will be leaving end of October for maternity leave. Oh well, at least I know for sure what I'll be doing & can start some mental planning.

County fair is next week, & I'm a 4H advisor, so fun times. I hope to catch up with some college friends and sorority sisters before school starts.

27. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 15, 2009

Rockys Mom - that's really cool about the elementary assignment. I would love that! Those spots are really hard to get here. I don't know if I could do high school though. Middle school is beginning vocational enough for me! Taking the kids out in the community is not one of my strengths.

karebear76 - congrats on the upcoming baby! Have you been sick a lot?

28. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

Fortunately, I don't get sick when pregnant, other than sniffles. This is quite the surprise, as we were supposed to be done. I have 2 step kids that are teens & then my own two: 5 & 18 months. So, end of October I'll have to keep up with the goings on of a junior, a freshman, a kindergartener, a toddler, & a newborn!! This is now for sure the last, as DH just got fixed last week. He was so against it, but this surprise made him see the light! :D

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

I'm in a workshop for a couple of weeks, then off to Disney again! After that, still a couple of weeks before I have to go back. We have had a looong vacation this summer. It's been great! Our new P made last school year quite memorable so the long vacation has been refreshing.

30. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

KB - that's so awesome that you don't get sick though - wow! I'm jealous and I haven't been preggers for a loooong time. ha

BS - How many times have you been to Disney this summer? Do you live in FL? I love Disney World. Haven't been there for a few years. I love all the extra little hidden touches they put into everything. Next time we go, I want to stay at the Contemporary and just ride the Monorail everywhere. :D

Well gang - - - - speaking of lots of summer vacations (yet another reason this job ROCKS) my troup leave for a week at Myrtle Beach tomorrow. So once again, I'll be MIA for awhile. Keep the discussion going and I'll jump back in when I get back! ;)

31. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

Ok, I must say the appropriate/inappropriate discussion on the Gen Ed thread is getting a little out of hand! And shamefully, I've perpetuated it as well :blush:

In fact, it has so ingrained itself on my mind, that I just charged 2 pairs of pants, a skirt, & a top on jcpenney.com :rolleyes:
    It's not as though I didn't need them, I sold all of my maternity clothes from before, so I need some different things for going back to school. I just hate to think I spent $100 on 2 months of clothes (not to mention the other things I've already bought).

Oh well. Another day, another dollar...

Lots of fun to all those vacationing. My family budget never allows for vacations. Short weekend trips sometimes, but never a true vacation. My last real trip was the wedding/honeymoon trip in Gatlinburg 7 years ago.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

Haven't been here much, with teaching summer school. 6 more days and then I'm FREE!!! (And will have a nice pocket full of money to spend on a new washer and dryer).

To all of you vacationing, have a great time! I was just saying today that our days of family vacations seem to be behind us right now. I'm going to try to book a ski vacation over the Christmas break. I don't ski, but everyone else in my family loves it and I would be perfectly happy sitting in a chalet in front of a fire with a nice thick book and either a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

33. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

Zoom...Orlando is home although right now we live about 6 hours away. Family still live there so we get back as often as possible. And, of course, when we are back we play tourist. In the last year we have been back 6 times. Love it!

34. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

Mrs. C - I'm in the same boat, everyone skis but me. I have my fake cast all ready to go.

35. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

beckysue - LUCKY! Wow. I'll bet you know all the Disney ins and outs by now, huh?

And for those of you who haven't been on a vacation in awhile - - DON'T plan two in one month. Also - seven-day vacations are overrated. We took my son and my three step-daughters to Myrtle Beach for seven days - - it cost a TON of money (ocean-front condo for six) - and the girls spent the majority of the time reading Twilight books and watching Disney in their room. :rolleyes: So needless to say, Myrtle Beach wasn't what I'd hoped it would be. Next time, I wouldn't stay longer than five nights - - and I'd leave all the ungrateful kids at HOME. :D

NOW, WHO'S GETTING A LITTLE NERVOUS AT THE THOUGHT OF LESS THAN A MONTH UNTIL SCHOOL STARTS, HMMM? :dizzy:

36. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

NOW, WHO'S GETTING A LITTLE NERVOUS AT THE THOUGHT OF LESS THAN A MONTH UNTIL SCHOOL STARTS, HMMM?

Yah. I am starting to get pretty nervous but I am also going stir crazy here. I got rearended and hurt my back and neck pretty bad two days after school got out and I'm not allowed to do anything, so its been pretty boring. I am concerned a little with going back to work because its pretty physical being a special ed. teacher.

37. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Oooh, sorry to hear that, wfl. :( Are you gun-shy now whenever you're driving a car? I haven't been rear-ended for 20 years, and I still think I'm going to be hit! When we were doing our roadtrip this summer, I drove my husband nuts, slamming on my passernger seat breaks all the time. lol He was always saying "Will you just CALM DOWN!??"

38. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

Zoom - I am the same way. I got rearended in the mid 90's and I still get nervous!
    Waterfall - hope you are back on your feet real soon and just be careful when you do get back to work! I wear a back brace all the time just so I won't lift or bend the wrong way - it's one of those black ones that construction workers wear, just cut off the suspenders. Little less expensive than the 'medical' ones and my chiro said it's just as good.