Cultures and Societies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by sse2010, Oct 10, 2010.

1. sse2010

sse2010 New Member

Oct 10, 2010

I am a new fifth grade teacher starting a unit on this topic. Any ides or advice out there?

3. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 10, 2010

What culture? What society?

4. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2010

I start my unit by having the students brainstorm what cultures have in common. We then group them into categories (food, shelter, etc.) These are called the Cultural Universals (google it)

Our state frameworks include studey of the Aztec, Inca and Mayan cultures so we then look at those 3. A culminating project I do is called Create-a-Culture. They must pretend they are archaeologists who have "discovered" a previously unfound culture. They have fun doing this.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2010

Maybe you can do a walk-through museum like thing at the end of the unit. The kids can dress up like someone in one of the above-mentioned cultures, some can make food, create posters, put displays up, etc. and have other classes walk-through to learn about the information.

6. kbteach

kbteach Rookie

Oct 27, 2010

We do a power point project investigating their own culture/heritage. THey interview family members and bring in pictures/artifacts. They love it. They also haven't had much experience with power points so adding animation and pictures is fun.