Cubbies With No Hooks - Lame

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Jul 14, 2014.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I have 20 tall cubbies with the square compartment at the top. They have no hooks whatsoever...so what can I do keep the area looking neat? I am trying to avoid buying 3M hooks because they get expensive...I wouldn't count on Dollar Tree Hooks because they wouldn't hold up. Maybe I could get 3M hooks for cheap in bulk, but I don't now where. Any suggestions? I know this is a tricky one.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2014

Can you buy metal hooks from Home Depot and drill them in? Even Walmart sells them. I made a coat rack for my house once.

4. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

5. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I don't think I'm allowed to do that since it belongs to the school district.

6. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

7. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I'm considering just having the kids sit their backpacks on the bottom of the cubbies and put it in our morning procedures to make sure they are neat with no parts of their bags falling out of the cubbies

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I don't have any good ideas really, but is there someone you could ask to know for sure if you can install permanent hooks? I know often changes like that aren't allowed, but putting hooks into cubbies seems really reasonable...

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 14, 2014

Can't hurt to ask if you or the school can put hooks in. The worst they can say is no.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

I would find myself wandering into the maintenance shop, strike up a conversation with one of the guys or gals, and mention that you sure would like to have hooks installed. Brownies wouldn't be a bad thing to bring along.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2014

If you're students are yours all day and don't have lockers then it seems like it would be a fire hazard for you not to have hooks. Where are they supposed to hang their coats and backpacks so they're out of the way safely? I would mention this (nicely) and ask the school about having hooks installed.

12. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

Now that sounds like it could work! I'll probably see how it works the first day with the backpacks in the bottom of the cubbies.

13. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the cubbies in my classroom. There are 20 and I cropped the pic because it was the last day of school and there were kids in there.

14. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 14, 2014

Hooks are a very reasonable request. Your school should do this for you or, at least, allow you to do it. Taking brownies to the janitor is a great idea!!!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2014

From your picture it seems the back of the Cubbies is actually the wall...easy enough to attach hooks into. Definitely go make nice with your maintenance people!

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 15, 2014

If maintenance can't get to putting up hooks (they wouldn't in my district until well after school starts), ask if you can install hooks yourself. Usually if you are making an upgrade to the room at no cost to the school, they will say yes!

17. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

They need to just put lockers in my classroom like almost every other classroom in the district...ugh, idk why my room has cubbies.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

My custodians would happily do this job for any of us - no brownies required (but certainly wouldn't hurt!). Ask your custodial team to take care of this.

ETA: I was wondering how you survived winters without hooks, and then saw you are from Texas... no winter gear required! If my students didn't have hooks there would be winter clothing everywhere.... more chaotic than it already is!

19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

If you can't do hooks, maybe boxes would work to contain stuff, if you could find a box to fit inside? Or, this might be as difficult as hooks, but if you could have a board running across the bottom (like a 2x4 about 10" up from the bottom of the cubbies) it would keep backpacks from falling out.

20. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

I was in a different classroom last year with lockers...and I live in North Texas, it snows here at least twice a year and from Jan. to Feb. it gets very cold for a Texan!