CSET

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by confused ss, Feb 23, 2010.

1. confused ss

confused ss Rookie

Feb 23, 2010

Does anyone know if there is a way not to take the CSET. I have taken all three test and passed 2 of the 3. I am not going to be able to finish my credentials this semester if I can't find a way around it. Does anyone know if there is something I can do?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2010

Which CSET? If it's multiple subjects, then the answer is no: there's no way to avoid taking it.

If it's single subject, then there's a workaround - but you might not like it, because it involves taking coursework pretty much equivalent to the major.

Where do you seem to be getting stuck?

4. confused ss

confused ss Rookie

Feb 24, 2010

multiple subject

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2010

Which subtest is giving you grief?

By the way, that isn't a basic skills test (like CBEST): rather, it's a subject-matter exam, and you can find LOTS of threads about it in the Multiple Subject Tests subforum. You can navigate there using the Forum Jump tool below or by clicking on the blue Examinations for Teachers link near the top of this page.

6. confused ss

confused ss Rookie

Feb 24, 2010

The History section is the problem. There is just too much info to study.

Do you know the rules about student teaching? Do you know if there is a rule about when the scores need to be in before starting student teaching? Thanks so much for all your help.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2010

Good question, and I'm afraid I don't know the answer.

What have you been doing or using to study history?

8. confused ss

confused ss Rookie

Feb 25, 2010

I have been using the book. I am not very good at history and since there is so much info covered it is hard to learn all of it.

9. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Feb 25, 2010

History was very difficult for me as well. I created a bunch of timelines to help me get the big picture. Maybe that would help you as well. Then, I had a friend just ask me questions all day long for a week...literally..but it worked!

As far as your question, your credential department at school should be able to answer that for you.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2010

Which book, ss? It could be there's a better choice for you than the one you're using.

11. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 25, 2010

When I took the test I used a few different books to get a good understanding and to have enough practice tests to take. Go to a bookstore, Barnes and Noble has a test taking section, take some time and really look at the different options available.

12. confused ss

confused ss Rookie

Feb 25, 2010

I have the cliff notes one. My roommate just got another one and we are going to share. We will see what happens. Thanks for your help

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2010

You might get more mileage out of a good historical atlas or kids' historical encyclopedia.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2010

confused ss, what are you seeing (plus marks, letters, checkmarks) on side 2 of your printed score report?

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 1, 2010

I prefer using the Cliffs Notes version as it is much easier to study from.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 1, 2010

Cliffs doesn't work for everyone, though.

17. Mabel Grex

Mabel Grex Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

Do you guys think the practice test provided by the CSET website is a good indicator, as in, if I did really well on two of the subtests I can relax a bit (and focus on science, where I'm really struggling)?

Any tips on learning about the geology info that's tested? My Kaplan book isn't that helpful...

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2010

The prudent student looks carefully at the sample/practice questions, for sure, though those questions don't exhaust the topics on the Subject Matter Requirements doc.

What do you need to know about geology?

19. Mabel Grex

Mabel Grex Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

I'm really lost on questions about ordering the deposition of various earth layers, and I think I need to beef up on some other stuff - the content specs even say I should know properties of a bunch of minerals! Right after I posted above I discovered a PDF of the science framework, and the middle school section is proving helpful. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the breadth of info I'm supposed to know - I feel like state of Indiana must not care as much about geology and physics as CA does, because I sure didn't have to learn all this is 7th grade! :)

20. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Mar 3, 2010

A quick study tip, whenever I have to remember the order of something I like to make a sentence out of the first letters of each word...just like "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" for the order of operations in math, you could come up with something meaningful to you to order the layers of the earth.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2010

In fact Mabel Grex is talking about stratification.

Rule #1: Sediment is laid down in flat, even layers, other things being equal.

Rule #2. Unless some extraordinary folding and faulting has taken place, older layers are deeper than newer layers.

Rule #3. Once a sedimentary layer has been laid down, it can't grow - though part of it can be eroded away.

Rule #4. For a fault line or erosion to affect a sedimentary layer, the layer has to have existed at the time of the faulting or erosion.

22. Mabel Grex

Mabel Grex Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

Ah, the Information Fairy has struck! Thank you, Teacher Groupie. For some reason the faultlines in the diagram were confusing me, but the way you lay it out makes it quite clear.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 4, 2010

Now I'm a fairy???

It's basic info in geology, and you're welcome.

(For reasons that geology matters in California, look no further than the nearest earthquake.)

24. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 6, 2010

Teachergroupie is right but those rules all have specific names that they may come up within the test. You should prolly familirize yourself with terms such as the Principal of horizonality, the principal of superposition, cross cutting relationships, and you should be familair with the various types of contacts between layers of rock. Most of those terms were coverd by teachergroupie's rules above.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for looking in on this, Geologygirl. The test in question is a little more basic, however.