CSET test

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Unregistered, Mar 9, 2004.

1. jcuturrufo

jcuturrufo Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks for your advice and support

It is me Judy, I passed the last two subtest I and II. I was the one who studied for two weeks prior to the exam and passed subtest III on my first try. I had every intentions of taking the two and passing at least once, so you can understand the surprise I felt when I saw my results showing that I had passed both. I can honestly say this was the first time I really felt as though I had seriously overcome my anxiety I had regarding the whole CSET journey. I had every intentions of becoming a teacher four years ago and was taking the classes to get the MSAT (at that time) waived but laws changed and knowing I had to take the CSET I had a true mental block and reading the several topics here on this website I started to really worry, but when I had the option of leaving my employment it was then I decided to take the CSET. The first time was to get a clear view of what was expected. It was overwhelming at first, but after taking it and really looking back I found the questions to be a bit tough but I found myself there were topics I was more comfortable with. I looked at several results from my friends and found that if I could just master the multiple choice the short answers wouldn't stop me from passing. Infact my results for Subtest I and II showed I had 4 stars on multiple choice and only 1 check mark on the short answers. So I thank you for your support and having this website available. Everyone can pass it - trust me - I never thought I would pass it I had every intentions of taking the exam in July infact I just requested a refund. Believe in yourself and trust me you will get through this. Good luck to all!!

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

Well done, jcuturrufo!

What have you learned from all of this that will help you help your future students?

3. mtngirl

mtngirl Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Congrat Judy!

I am taking all 3 sections in Sept. I took the first one and missed it by 2 points. Now I have 2 months to study and hope I will be well prepared to take in in Sept.

Glad you passed,

Stacie

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

mtngirl, coming up just 2 points short is very promising.

What are you seeing on side 2 of your score report?

5. mdatbu98

mdatbu98 New Member

Mar 27, 2008

CSET Social Sciences

Hi,

I'm taking the CSET social sciences test in May. Any study suggestions or tips on the test?

Thanks!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

7. visualone

visualone Guest

Apr 14, 2008

Hello, A-Z! I'm here to ask for any and all advice with CSEt MS subtest II.

A little background:

I just took Subtest II for the third time and got a 216.

I have always been strong in language arts, music, and the like, yet I haven't spent a whole lot of time the past few years on Science and Mathematics. I don't recall ever really cultivating those skills, yet I feel like I am perfectly capable to relearn things now. The one setback I am aware of is the "psych-out" factor--after coming so close to passing so many times, it has now become a source of much anxiety.

Last Spring, I took Subtests I and III with minimal preparation and passed. I now find myself in a sticky situation with Subtest II. The first time I took it, I thought the most difficult part would be the mathematics, so I studied mostly that. I managed to get a 210 on that round, and felt I could pass it the next time with a little more preparation. Frankly, it was a lot more straightforward than I originally anticipated. Admittedly, I am somewhat of a procrastinator and come crunch time I freaked out a little bit. I went in for the second round feeling pretty confident in Math, but when it came down to business, the Science got me. This showed up on my scores: *** in Math, ** in Science. My scaled score was 216.

"OK", I thought, "One more round!". This time I figured it was time to focus on the constructed response questions. I went in with optimism, well-studied, and confident. I now realize the art of a "constructed response" is a weak point I cannot ignore. Anyway, long story short, I got my results back this past week. My scaled score, once again, is 216. This time, I had *** in both Math and Science, so I am thoroughly bewildered. At this point, I can only take comfort in the fact that my scores are in fact improving--though slightly--yet I can't help feeling discouraged at the whole thing. It really is grounds to make me rethink this whole business.

And, it is a business, make no mistake. Does anyone have sound advice for me in this matter? Should I "protest"? This option is irritating, since I would have to spend even MORE money with no guarantee. Besides, I know I AM capable of doing this. At this point, I am feeling incredibly low about my ability to foster learning in others on any level.

Thanks for any and all comments.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, visualone.

216 - soooo close! Tell me a little more from side 2 of your score report. Is your *** in science in multiple choice or in constructed response, or both? What pattern of letters and checkmarks are you seeing for the constructed responses?

What have you been doing to prepare, and whereabouts in the state have you been doing it?

9. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 15, 2008

Hi Visualone

I took the CSET so many times and I finally passed. I learned to take frequent breaks when I felt tired or just wiped out. That seemed to help me, as when I would leave after turning in my test many answers would come to me when walking to my car.

10. teacher2bagain

teacher2bagain New Member

May 4, 2008

Gearing up for Cset

Hi Everyone,
    I am getting ready to study for the cset which I will begin taking in July. I am going to divide this test into three section. So I will take the language and the history test first. I have been reading posts and have seen where many of you are talking about using the scholastic books as a refernce. Can you please explain what those are and where I can find them thanks.
    Oh and just a little background on me. I am a credentialed teacher who also took the waiver program which doesnt meet state requirements now. I have had my credential for five years and just got my clear this last year. I have taught 2 years in private school and 1 year in public school. I was not NCLB compliant and was on a temporary contract so I did not return the next year. I was also blessed at the same time to be pregnant with my first child.
    I love being a stay at home mom but our finances dictate that I start the process of going back to work.
    By the way I was just wondering since many districts in CA wont hire me because I am not NCLB compliant is the Cset the only real plausible way to get compliant now?

Thanks for any advice in advance

teacher2bagain

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 4, 2008

For someone in your situation, CSET isn't just plausible, it's required.

The Scholastic books are probably the ones in the series Everything You Need to Know about _____ Homework. They are likely to be available in or through your local big bookstore or library. They're praised by some people and panned by others; that's pretty much true of any materials for CSET prep. The first 22 pages of the one on English contain some fairly major mistakes, but the rest of the book's okay.

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 4, 2008

Wooohoo congratulations Naomi for passing the CSET Health Science!

How was the test? Was it difficult at all? What book(s) did you use to study for the test?