CSET test results today

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by BuTeacher, Nov 29, 2010.

1. BuTeacher

BuTeacher New Member

Nov 29, 2010

I passed all three subtests on the first try! :celebrate: I cannot believe it!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 29, 2010

Congratulations!

4. BuTeacher

BuTeacher New Member

Nov 29, 2010

Thank you TeacherGroupie. It was my own little Christmas miracle. I have no idea how I did it! Thankfully its over now. I am tempted to toss all of my study materials out the window or perhaps make a nice little bonfire. hmmmm?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 29, 2010

Um. Nobody ever passed one of these things entirely by luck, BuTeacher, believe me.

For best results, don't forget everything you reviewed, and do think about things you learned (which don't have to be the content areas you studied, necessarily...) that can help you help your future students.

6. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

Good for you. You must be so proud with yourself right now. Of course, I didn't pass Section II again. I missed it by 2 points. I have some rather choice words I would like to say about NES and their constructed response questions, but I will refrain. No matter,my uncle who is an education lawyer, has decided to take on my case pro bono. Since my field of study is special education, there is, :a very gray area", when it coms to this. He seems to indicate he will be able to get me those two points. Normally I would never pursue an avenue like this, but after passing CBEST, CSET I and III and RICA, as well as completing all of my coursework for my Masters of Science, with straight A's and having BCLAD certification, I find it absolutely ludicrous that a measely 2 points will force me to switch my credential to a state that is much less, and I will lose about $15,000 in pay. Again, sorry it has to be this way, but there needs to be different test for teachers that instruct moderate/severe students.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2010

What are you seeing on side 2 of your score reports, ServingOthers? When people miss by just two points, it's usually a fixable thing - and passing the test in January will get you results faster than going through the courts.

8. fairytale

fairytale New Member

Nov 30, 2010

Congrats!!!!! Any suggestions to pass subtest I? I need help.

9. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

I was not 2 points off(that was when I originally took the exam in September). I scored a 219 this time, so I was one point away from passing my examination, and finally being done. I ace the multiple choic and get **** for Math and *** for Science, but fail miserably beyond belief when it comes to the constructed response questions, because I don't know what they will ask. If they just gave me a list of the constructed response questions they would ask on the test, I would be able to formulate a great response. This is my 5th time trying to pass this stupid section, and due to my husbands cancer, I need to start teaching now. My uncle has offically sent NES a letter regarding this matter, and is asking that my score be looked and analyzed again more thoroughly to see if one point can be given. If they still don't agree, then we will be forced to exercise our legal right, and take this matter up with the courts. Considering my uncle is the finest at what he does, it would behoove NES to just comply and give me the 1 point.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2010

Apologies for shortchanging your score, ServingOthers.

Diagnostics are given for the constructed responses individually: either some combination of p, k, and s or the checkmark that indicates that one satisfied the minimum requirements for Purpose (p), Knowledge (k), and Support (s).

Have you been writing essays for your answers, I hope not?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2010

I should add that I've heard of people appealing in circumstances like yours, but I've never heard of one succeeding.

Oh, and if you're getting *** for science multiple choice, there's still room for improvement there.

12. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

There is no doubt I will still be able to teach...just not in California, where I did all of the work. I had an offer on the table to begin teaching in Januaray, but obviously NES will most liklely not cave to these demands. I had a similar situation in college. I had received all A's, in every single class I took at the university, except when it came to Math. I received a D+(again, after getting all A's in EVERY CLASS) and was...that's right...one point away from passing. However, this class was important, because without it I could not transfer to UCLA where I been admitted. I had done much of the same amount of studying as I have done in the past, hired a tutor, went to every study session available, but the same results still happened. I then made an appointment with the Dean at the time, and gave him a letter documenting why I believe I should be given that one point, and how this will only hinder my academic future. I even had my private tutor(who was a credentialed teacher in California at the time), state on record how hard I have worked, and how she understood how hard it was for me. The Dean said, "I cannot in good faith, give you a passing grade. If I did this for you, I would have to do it for everyone." So I began my next semester, not at UCLA(since I couldn't transfer becuase of the D not being transferrable), but to Los Angeles(since alreadyI had made a deposit on an apartment in LA, with the idea that I would be attending UCLA in the Fall). I enrolled in the Fall at a community college, and struggled from the start with the mathematics class, and its tests, I was doing as badly as one could possibly have done about 1 month in. I then decided to look up my old counselor from the first community college I had attened about the situation. I gave him all of the facts, stated my position, and told him how this is actually hindering me, rather than helping me. He agreed with me, and said that he would speak directly to the Dean about my situation. The next next day, I received an e-mail from the Dean of Math stating he would like me to call him on his home phone between 11am and 5pm. I did so immediately, and he then stated, "I have thought long and hard about this situation, and it seems your case is quite a unique one. I have spoken to Dr. Campbell, and I have decided to give you that one point you need. In all my years of doing this, this is the first time I have changed a grade that was of no fault of our own." This decision allowed me to finally transfer to UCLA, and receive my Bachelor of Arts degree(where I received staright A's as well in all of my core classes). Had the Dean not fought for me so strongly back then, I do not believe I would have gone to UCLA, nor do I believe I would be in any position to receive a teaching credential. Sadly, this feels like Deja Vu all over again. Life is just not black and white, and we see this with how we accomodate our students with 504 Plans and IEP's to help meet their weak areas. As a teacher, there needs to be some alternative(i.e.written paper, alternative examination, extra classes) that should be supplemented if one has a difficult time with a specific area. After all, I am obtaining my credential in moderate/ severe disabilities(i.e. students with IQ's below 69). The material that I was judged on, and that excluded me from a very lucrative contract, has absolutely NO baring on the material I will instruct my stuents. In fact, I will never use it again most likely in my life. I was able to do this once, and it changed my life(as I knew it would) once that 1 point was given. I know that my life will change drastically for the better with just this one point. People are subjective by nature, and considering it was9and always is) the constructive response that trips me up, I feel confident with going forward with this matter. I am a very strong advocate for students who are differently abled, have won numerous awards, 4.0 student, graduate student of the year, on and on and on. National Evaluation Systems, picked the wrong person to mess with.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2010

I see.

A good tutor would probably be able to help you find the one point you need, and you'd then be able to carry into your future teaching the experience of having passed a test that had you stymied.

It's obviously your choice how to handle this, however.

14. BuTeacher

BuTeacher New Member

Dec 1, 2010

Thank you Serving others. I am sorry to hear of your frustrations. I hope that you get it resolved quickly. There are so many hoops that we have to jump through, it's too bad that this has to happen to good people!

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 4, 2010

I passed Subtest 1 on my first try. I just need to pass Subtest 2 and I will pass the CSET MS as a whole.

I passed Subtest 3 as well.

I am glad I got Subtest 1 out of the way. I was nervous that I would have to retake it.

I am still celebrating my hard work.:thumb:

16. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Dec 5, 2010

I just found out that if I transfer to Nevada there will be a plethora of more classes in which I will need to complete, plus an equivalency examination. I spoke with my advisor here, "If this point had been given, would I need anything else". She looked at my records and said, "NO. You are done as far as the requirements go for California. You are right there. All I need is that final document stating you passes Section II." I know nobody in NES ever changes anything, since nobody like to admit fault. However, since I got a 219 and a 218 on two occasions, I am hoping one of those scores, might be able to find a point or two added to them. I'm so distraught over this matter. I would be $1000 right now, if I could just get those 4 constructed response questions early and study them.

17. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

Hello ServingOthers I hope that you will find peace through this. I know this test can be really frustrating. I offer you strength and love during this time.

Best wishes to you.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 5, 2010

The thing is, though, ServingOthers, that there are multiple editions of the test: there's absolutely no way to guarantee that the edition on a given test taker's desk on a given test date will be exactly the one that was studied.

19. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Dec 8, 2010

^ I definetely am aware of that. However, even if I had 20 constructed response questions, that I knew were going to be on the exam, that would be much better than going in blind. I would have no problem passing at that point.
    My husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, and I responded by saying, "For NES to give me the point". That is literally ALL I want. That point determines whether I teach or don't. Its a pretty life or death situation.

MrsBMomof4 likes this.
  20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2010

Would you consider retaking the subtest in order to get that point?

21. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Dec 8, 2010

^ I don't think I'm going to have a choice.It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that NES caters to my wish, and grants me the one point, but stranger things have certainly occured for me in the past, and I am hoping that they repeat themselves. I have passed CBEST, RICA, all coursework for the Masters Degree in special education, and Subtests I and III of the CSET. I was speaking to my lawyer today, and he was looking at my scores, and told me that if they took the highest scores from my multiple choice, combined with the highest scores from my constructed response section, that I did indeed pass the exam. Again, if you took the highest scores from each part. My car just blew out its engine after 150,000 miles as well, so I would need to pay for a flight, which would be around $150.00, plus another $70 to retake the examination. Normally I wouldn't, "cry over spilt milk", but one point literally saves me hundreads of dollars from having to go back to California, allows me to finally get a nice mid-level $45,000 a year job, AND finally allows me to start my APPLE grant. Again, its pretty insane when you think of it macrocosmically. I will obviously do whatever I need to do, but trust me, going back and taking an exam for the umpteenth time, is just wasting my time and money. If they I don't pass this, it will be like all of the work I did, will be for nothing. I would be more than happy to take an extra class in lieu of this examination, but that is not an option. This is only way, and that is what is so frustrating, coming from someone who has struggled to no end with math since high school.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2010

I take it that's a "no".

23. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Dec 9, 2010

^ Not necessarily. I might not WANT to go back, but I might HAVE to go back in January, if this situation isn't resolved by then, which I'm betting it won't be. Put yourself in my shoes. You have done all all of the coursework, you have taken all of the tests, you have offers standing on the table, but one point prevents you from teaching. If I transfer to Nevada credential, I have to take other classes, and its a big big mess. If they grant me the one point, I will be given a curteousy placement , and allowed to teach in my own classroom, while doing my stuent teaching. This is what is driving me up the wall. ONE FREAKING POINT!!!!! If I do find out that someone decided to give me that one point, that person is offically going in my will, and I don't mean that as a euphemism.

24. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 9, 2010

ServingOthers I know you are in a predicament. How about finding a tutor or studying with a high school math/science teacher? Learn as much as you can, ask them as many questions as you can to pass that last subtest.

I have high hopes for you.

25. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Dec 16, 2010

I received a call today from NES that they did receive my letter, and they are reviewing the examination(Please God, this is all I want for Christmas)! I cannot tell you how much this one point would mean to my family. I would finally be able to get my Apple grant started, I would be able to teach with no further roadblocks, and I would finally be able to get my life back on track. It has been held up for a long time due to this. Normally one would think, "Its just one point, its no big deal". Trust me, it affects my life more than you know, especially living in another state. I have gone through some servere bouts of depression over this. Since my car blew out its engine, I don't have the means to get a new car. I tried to get an aide job to network with people, but their is only one school district here, and they have a hiring freeze. I explained I had a masters degree, and have finished all of my coursework for my teaching credential. It didn't matter. They said I could sub, but that is very unpredictable, and I get more money from unemployment than I would working as a sub. Not to mention my transportation is not reliable at the moment. However, they are hiring special education teachers out here, and their is a great need for that here, yet I can't tap into that, until California recognizes my competency with the CSET. Its one giant mess, that could easily be fixed, and really help my family more than anone really knows. I'm praying some person finds a point on the constructed response.

26. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

Update

Just received a call a few hours ago from NES reagrding my CSET appeal. They have indicated to me, that I will be receiving my answer via First Class Mail. If they were going to reject me, why would they pay for first class shipping to send me my answer? Why not just give me that news over the phone? Could this be seen as a good sign?