CSET Subtest 3 Earth and Planetary Sciences

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TheCreative, Jun 10, 2009.

1. TheCreative

TheCreative Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

Hi,

I'm look for hints, tips, books, etc for this exam. Specifically things that, if you had to do it again what do you wish you would have studied or something that may have given you an edge with this exam. I'm not asking for specific questions that they asked or anything like that but maybe a book or manual.

I currently have the books from subtest 1 still with me; The Usborne Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia, and The Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science.

Any and all help is appreciated my exam is going to be on the 18th of July.

Thanks

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2009

Those are good books. I haven't taken the test yet, but I've been taking classes at the local junior college, focusing on earth science. I would look at the CSET guide and see what the test will be covering and use that to help you. If I were you, I would also hit the local library and check out some books on geology, geophysics, astronomy, oceanography, etc. Good luck!

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2009

Orange County Department of Education's prep guide for the test might be useful to you. IMHO the best approach would be to roll your own study guide based on the Subtest Description and the referenced California content standards.

The only good resource for the California geology part of the subtest I found was Harden's California Geology. It also covers subjects like volcanism and tectonics in a more general sense. I found a copy at a local library.

If you know what is in a current California adopted Earth Science text, you should pass easily.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2009

You can also Google for online courses in California geology, virtual field trips, and the like - I found lots and lots without very much looking.

6. TheCreative

TheCreative Rookie

Jun 12, 2009

Ok I ordered the Harden California Geology book since I'm going to need it anyway for class when I become a teacher. Any other suggestions on books? Does anyone currently work or at least know what book you are using at your school for Earth Science?

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2009

Current Holt, Pearson or Glencoe Earth Science text will do.

8. TheCreative

TheCreative Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

Thanks Malcolm,

I picked up a teacher's edition of the pearson california earth science. Got it off of abebooks.

Any other hints, tricks, something maybe I should concentrate on?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2009

Take at least one break during testing time, and don't try to make your constructed responses into essays, because they're so not.