CSET Social Science Waiver - Puts Me at a Disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by cateacher2020, May 5, 2020.

1. cateacher2020

cateacher2020 New Member

May 5, 2020

Hi all,

Right now I'm finishing out my first year of full-time elementary teaching (and going on to teach a second year in the fall). Simultaneously, I am currently working on adding a Social Studies Single Subject authorization to my credential with the goal of becoming a high school teacher (long backstory). I was a Political Science major in college, and I could apply for a waiver for the CSET Social Science, but I'm worried that puts me at a disadvantage when applying for jobs. To add a Single Subject authorization I don't need to go back and do student teaching again (since I already did that for my Multiple Subject credential...just need to take a methods course which I'm doing right now...). 300 dollars to take the CSET Social Science is a lot of money (and about $100 for a decent book to prep for the test). Should I take the test to put myself in a better position or just apply for a waiver?

Thank you in advance!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 5, 2020

Welcome to our corner of the globe, cateacher2020!

Employers do tend to ask about one's CSETs, even when one can post a perfectly good waiver. I agree that it would be prudent to take the darned subtests and be done with it.

But if you were/are at all a decent test taker, and given your background in poli sci, you probably don't need one of the standard prep books. Spend the money on one or more illustrated and map-heavy overviews of history that (a) you find reasonably engaging now and (b) you have reason to believe may be useful in your classroom after you've forgotten which questions on your version of each subtest got your goat. Quite good historical atlases can be had for under $50 new or less than half that used; find one whose style suits yours, be alert for unexpected connections between the civics (broadly construed, to be sure) that you know and the history that you hadn't realized brought it about, and plan to supplement like mad for free from Wikipedia, which is an ever-present and generally reliable help in the time of test taking. Oh, and don't omit Extra Credit History videos.

4. cateacher2020

cateacher2020 New Member

May 9, 2020

Thank you for your reply! I think I will go that route then (i.e. take the test). I anticipate a lot of budget cuts here in California so I think it will be even harder (than it already is) to get a teaching job here. :/