CSET Social Science Exam Study Materials

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Ms.J9, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Ms.J9

Ms.J9 Rookie

Jan 14, 2016

Hi Friends!

I'm studying for the CSET Social Science exam and there are SO many different study materials out there that I'm feeling overwhelmed. Does anyone who has taken the exam have any materials they could recommend? It would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, Ms.J9.

Experience suggests that materials that work for one test taker don't necessarily work for another - with no slight intended against the materials or the test takers, just that styles and preferences differ.

What's your background in social science, and how are you generally as a test taker? Have you looked at the subject matter requirements doc at www.ctcexams.nesinc.com?

4. Ms.J9

Ms.J9 Rookie

Jan 14, 2016

Thank you so much! I have a BA in Sociology and MA in Human Behavior and I've been a substitute teacher (primarily in social science) for four years. I have gone over the subject matter requirements for the exam and I feel fairly confident in them but I'm concerned I won't have the materials I need to be prepared for the exam

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2016

Sociology and human behavior... History is soooo Maslow's hierarchy across the millennia.

If your local Barnes & Noble stocks the books you're considering, go there, buy one or two good-sized lattes, and leaf through the offerings before you actually lay down money for one: you're looking for the book that comes closest to shoring you up in your areas of perceived need while irritating you the least.

CSET exams are aligned to California content standards, and both the content standards and the Frameworks docs that flesh them out can be downloaded for free from the Web site of the California Department of Education, www.cde.ca.gov.

When you were in college, did you prefer using pre-made study guides or pulling together your own?

6. Ms.J9

Ms.J9 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016

Happy Friday TeacherGroupie! (and all!)

Very nice! I can appreciate that reference! My hope for mankind is that we continue to evolve as a civilization and always remember our humanity and shared unity :)

Thank you for the resources! In college I preferred pre-made study guides.

Thanks,
    Ms. J

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2016

Consider also guides for the various AP history and social science tests. Those cover the content at about the right level of sophistication (high-powered undergrad); they tend to get updated annually, but you don't need the latest by any stretch of the imagination, and you might be able to snag older copies cheaply online or even check out copies from the local library.

8. Ms.J9

Ms.J9 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016

That is extremely helpful! Thanks so much! I just signed up for the test this week! Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend :grinning:

9. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

Feb 8, 2016

I found the Mometrex "CSET secrets" study guide helpful. However, the smartest thing I did and best investment I made was the xamonline.com study guide. I wouldn't have passed without it.

I forgot who the publisher was but a few AP World History study guides helped me as well.

10. Ms.J9

Ms.J9 Rookie

Feb 9, 2016

Thank you bbelton60! That is extremely helpful!