CSET Single Subject, Social Science

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Ken, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Meredith

Meredith Rookie

May 10, 2007

I am taking all three subtests in two weeks. I was wondering does anyone have any tips for me. I feel pretty confident on the material, but I am nervous because it is a huge test. Do you suggest doing all the essays at once and then the multiple choice or doing each subtest as a whole?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2007

The test is designed to be finishable in one go... but yes, it is rather a lot to bite off all at once. Make sure you take at least one break during the testing time, please.

Note, please, that CSET Social Science doesn't include any essays in the CBEST-five-paragraph-mechanics-and-structure sense. Call them constructed responses, or free responses, or whatever else, but let's avoid the E-word, shall we?

Test takers differ in exactly what works best for them, but it often makes sense to start by looking at the constructed response prompts, then tackling some or all of the multiple choice questions, then going back to the constructed responses.

Whereabouts are you located, Meredith?

3. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

May 10, 2007

Teacher Groupie, you are saying that we don't need to be as concerned about the structure of the response, but rather to focus on the content right?

Meredith, what was/is your major?

4. Meredith

Meredith Rookie

May 10, 2007

I am in Sacramento and my major was in History.

Thank you Teacher Groupie for pointing that out. It definitely makes a difference to write a free response as opposed to the other.

I realize that it would depend on the person taking the test. I was just wondering what worked for people who had taken it before.

Thanks.

5. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

May 14, 2007

Im taking all 3 tests next week, and im shaking in me boots. Ive been trying to study and what not, and a big thanks to all on the site that have contributed info.

anyone have any tips on how to study the econ portion?

6. Meredith

Meredith Rookie

May 15, 2007

Paperback Writer- I am also taking all three this Saturday. I am very nervous also. I am hoping that all my studying will pay off.

Economics is the subject that I have the least background in. I have been using the Cliffsnotes Economic book and using the CSET guidelines. I don't feel like I know everything about Econ, but I am hoping I know enough. It is not a big section of the test so I am hoping that helps.

Good luck on Saturday!

7. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

May 15, 2007

Thanks Meredith:angel:

I havent yet started reviewing for the econ section, but tomorrow i will be in the nearest Barnes and Nobles and drop a few bills.

Good luck to you too

8. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

May 20, 2007

How does everyone think they did on Saturday? I took subtest I and I'm not really sure. There were some questions I knew without a doubt and plenty that I was stuck between two answers that both seemed possible. I'm concerned about the longer writing response. It was based off of two passages that I had never seen before. I answered as best I could based off of the information I know about the era, but I'm extremely disappointed.

The results can't come fast enough...

9. Bryan22

Bryan22 New Member

May 20, 2007

greenbean6,

I took subtest I & III on Saturday and I feel the same way about subtest I that you do. I had no clue about the longer writing response. I have now taken all three subtests and I think the world history one is the hardest. The gov/econ and the U.S. history subtests are a lot easier. Just my opinion. Good luck on your results.

10. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

May 21, 2007

Thanks Bryan!

That is very comforting to know! Good luck to you too!!

11. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

May 21, 2007

I agree with you folks above!

It was challenging i thought. I took all 3 tests and took the whole freaking 5 hours!!!!! argh... im still trying to recoop. I cant remember too much from the exams, but the writing was jsut how yall mentioned it being. I had to make do with what was avaliable in the text and incorporate some outside info i had in my memory banks.

I had a one response about the romans that should have been a home run, but i began to blank out!! I need to stop thinking about this test, im going nuts. Im one of those folks who are overly anxious about knowing the results :)

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2007

PaperbackWriter, how have you treated yourself kindly about CSET?

13. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

May 21, 2007

TG,

Sort of. I usually have high levels of what i call "post-test anxiety", but i have been managing it pretty well. My brother and mother took me out to dinner after my test, which was nice. Amazing how well a good steak can take your mind off things:angel:

Take care,

PBW

14. Meredith

Meredith Rookie

May 21, 2007

I took all three subtests on Saturday. I thought that 1 and 2 were all right, but I had a lot of trouble with the econ portion. I knew it would be my weakest subject, so it was no surprise. As for the world history test, the longer constructive response was a little hard. I don't know if what I answered is what they wanted. And I did have that question about the Romans that through me for a loop, so who knows. For the most part though I feel relieved that it is over. I am just trying to focus on other things so I don't stress over the results.

15. bronte

bronte New Member

May 21, 2007

CSET Social Science Saturday

I passed the US History in Feb. and took I and III on Saturday. I agree with the rest of the folks here, Saturday was tough. I think I did better on the World History, but I too struggled with the first Constructed Response. I had never heard of those people either and I answered it to the best of my knowledge about "Black African Nationalists, Colonialism, Imperialism". The Rome one through me for a loop, I hope I answered it correctly I just never know exactly what they are looking for. In regards to test III, I thought the MC questions were quite challenging. Again, I stuggled with the Constructed Response question 2/3 especially the econ. Furthermore, I didn't have the proper background to answer the CA question correctly. I will keep my hopes up for passing World History. Atleast it's over!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2007

Sounds promising, PaperbackWriter; you'll be well equipped to help your future students manage their pre- and post-anxieties.

17. oceandude4

oceandude4 New Member

May 24, 2007

can someone help me study for cset single subject social sciences

I need someone to assisnt me..Im taking all 3 sections of the cset and need some insight in what I need to read. Is there a book out there that discusses the history,etc that will be covered on exam?? I was hoping to get some insight and I am really nervous about passing this..

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2007

A single book that covered everything in the depth required to get all test takers up to speed in each area would be huge, 'dude, and would probably be overwhelming.

So back up a step.

CSET Social Science covers the following:

Subtest I: World history and geography

Subtest II: US history and geography

Subtest III: Civics, economics, California history

Now in which of these are you strongest?

And is your academic background in one or another of the social sciences, or elsewhere?

19. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

May 24, 2007

dude,

There is plenty of information on this sight. It might help if before you ask for help, if you do a little browsing. ;)

20. Helmenstine

Helmenstine New Member

Jun 14, 2007

CD's?

Would anyone like to swap teaching materials? I have an AP US history text in Word format if anyone is interested.

21. Helmenstine

Helmenstine New Member

Jun 14, 2007

To Dreamtech

Dreamtech, Could you send me the cd's? My email is matt plus this sign in name at hotmail. I've got an AP US history book to trade if you're still looking for material.

22. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I passed subtest I!!! It doesn't tell you how you did on each section...I wish it did.

I just registered to take subtests II & III on July 21st, hopefully I pass those the first time around as well.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

To be precise, greenbean6: the unofficial score report doesn't tell you how you did, but take a look at side 2 of the official score report, when it arrives in the mail.

24. Bryan22

Bryan22 New Member

Jun 18, 2007

Ok, I passed subtests I & III and I am officially done with the cset. Here are the study material that I used. Note that certain stuff will work better with certain people.

U.S. History-
    1) Dummies Guide,
    2) Sparknotes study cards (I picked these up at Barnes and Noble for like 10 bucks.

World History-
    1) Dummies Guide, which I used the first time and did not pass with.
    2) World History: The Human Experience (This is a high school textbook that was extremely helpful.
    3) Students Friend- These worksheets are on the internet. Just go to google and type in studentsfriend.

Econ/Gov/California History/
    1) Econ for Dummies
    2) Gov- Idiot's Guide
    3) Cal. Hist.- Did not study much for at all.

Everybody is different, but I would say that the U.S. History test is by far the easiet. Then Econ/Gov and World History is the hardest in my opinion. Good luck to all of you.

25. roberts3206

roberts3206 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

Congrats Bryan and greenbean!

WOO HOO!

26. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I passed all three on the same day!!!:D

Heres how my routine worked out-

World-

World History for Dummies

US-

US History for Dummies
    http://us.history.wisc.edu/hist102/weblect/default.asp (great site and lecture information) I didnt use it, but if you have time i def recommend it.

Gov/Econ/Ca Hist

I took a Ca politics class a while ago and it really helped, there are also websites mentioned on this site (search it)

Econ- I quickly reviewed the night before using the online version of sparknotes. its free. (i do have some background knowledge due to the fact that i am a political science major)

Politics- Lecture notes from various classes. (PM me if you would like to photocopy some of the basic Poli sci 100 stuff)

Good luck to all.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

Congratulations, greenbean6, Bryan22, and PaperbackWriter!

28. Tina

Tina Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

Congnradulations! I just registered fro three this time, last time I took only the I section and didn't pass it. I think because I was studying details (Ancient World!!) and didn't know what to except...
    What is the best advice to can tell me for passing this test. I am finishing my multiple subject credential ( will finish the student teaching by September) and want to get this one too; I woud love to teach history.
    Please help me,
    I got the names of the books and heading to the bookstore to get them. which should I get for the first section?
    Thanks so much
    T.

29. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

just study the books accordingly to what the sections are and you should be fine. Those books concentrate on the big picture, and not so much on the details.

Knock em dead!!

30. Bookish

Bookish New Member

Jun 29, 2007

Study Group

I live in the East Bay of San Francisco taking the Social Science CSET's on July 21st, 2007.
    The prep exam course was cancelled, is there anyone who would like to form a study group?

31. Desmond&Molly

Desmond&Molly New Member

Jul 4, 2007

Hi, I am taking Subsets I and II on July 21. My problem is that I am in Mexico for a study abroad program until July 18. I have the XAM social studies guide and Princeton Review's AP World History with me, but other than that I am out of luck down here. Does anyone have any highly recommended online sources for World and U.S. History. Thanks.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

33. Banker

Banker New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Hi I am taking the CSET US HISTORY & WORLD HISTORY-- What have people who have taken it seen as the essay topics?

Will studying the material on the cset sample test guides cover everything for the exams?

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

Discussing actual test questions is a good way to get into hot water; we don't do that here. I will point out that the subject matter requirements document on the CSET Web site is the source authority as to what's on the test and that the written exercises aren't essays in the CBEST sense.

35. Banker

Banker New Member

Jul 11, 2007

So when writing the "Essay" part, I don't need to worry too much about organization and structure, but answer the question more like a regular short answer, but longer?

thanks!

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

That's about the size of it. In fact, I'd recommend calling 'em constructed responses, or short answers, or focused answers, or free responses, or... basically, anything but essay.

If you're taking all three subtests, you should allow about 12 minutes for the shorter short answers (in Subtest I, that would be one of the history questions and the geography question) and 20 minutes or so for the extended answer. If you're taking fewer than three subtests, feel free to take more thinking time, but don't plan to write more.

37. PinkWithLime

PinkWithLime New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Quick Question

I am suppose to take my CSET this Saturday and have been reading the post everyone has written. Did your e-book help you pass the test? What do you reccomend for me. I have purchased a book call beting the cset but it is multiple subject...will this book still help me out?

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

With single subject social science, it will help you some - Boosalis has some good strategies for handling constructed response questions - but it won't give you everything you need, I'm afraid.

What's your background in social science?

39. PinkWithLime

PinkWithLime New Member

Jul 16, 2007

I graduated with my degree in social science may 2006, and have been in the MAT for a year. I had to do all my lesson plans and activities for all my classes in relations to social science. I am a history buff, but the econ is starting to scare me.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

Econ is less than half of Subtest III, and it's important to note - contrary to Boosalis' assertion - that each CSET subtest is scored holistically: if you collect the requisite number of scaled points you'll pass, whether or not you do all that well in an individual domain.

For econ review, try one of these:

http://www.answers.com/topic/supply-and-demand

http://www.answers.com/topic/economics-a-historical-perspective(I like Answers.com: pick a term you don't know, type it in the search box, and get explanations, not just Web sites...)

http://www.ala.org/ala/booklinksbucket/huffingpuffing.htm

http://www.eduref.org/Virtual/Lessons/Social_Studies/Economics/ECO0011.html (rummage around from here for other lessons)

http://www.federalreserveeducation.org/FRED/

http://www.economicsamerica.org

http://www.powellendowment.org

And there are the Microeconomics and Macroeconomics SparkCharts at your local Barnes & Noble.