CSET Section II-

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ServingOthers, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ServingOthers

ServingOthers Rookie

Nov 29, 2010

Sadly I received the same result on the CSET Section II, that I had received previously. However, this time I scored a 219. ONE POINT OFF!!!! After this transpired, I spoke with my uncle who is a very prominent education lawyer in California. I indicated to him all the facts, pertaining to the situation that I am under. How I have completed all of my coursework for my Masters of Science degree, passed the CBEST, RICA and Sections I and III of the CSET with flying colors, but just can't seem to get that one point needed to finish everything.I indicated to him I am trying to teach moderate/ severe special education, and he seemed to indicate to me, that this made for a better case, since the material being tested, has no real bearing on the subject matter of the students I would be teaching. He said that with special education there is a, "lot of gray area", which makes for a much greater case when being presented. Please keep me in prayer with this.

3. fairytale

fairytale New Member

Nov 30, 2010

It is very frustrating. I have been there for section I though :( what I can recommend for section II is to find out where you are failing- for example, check your score details to see what subject matter is making you fail. I would suggest you pair up with a high school algebra teacher- if math is the subject you are weaker and go through the CSET test practice questions with this teacher. That's what I did. I was weak in math. If you are weaker in science then I'd suggest you do the same with a high school teacher. I can go through my notes and get back to you more on this if you'd like. Let me know.

Any suggestions on how to pass section I? I need help.

4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 4, 2010

fairytale when I studied for Subtest 1 I would go through the Cliffs Notes CSET book page by page. I would then check out books from the library on supplemental books. Areas where I needed more review.

Which area in Subtest 1 are you having problems? For me it was the History section. In the beginning of the book the authors would inform the test taker that in the History section, to focus more on how one event would lead to another. Or who would be involved in that particular event, the reason why that event happened, and the outcome. You do not have to worry about the dates when it happened. Just the rationalizations as to why that event happened, who was involved, and the outcome. Take notes as you study. That can help a lot.

The constructed short answer questions asked me about the major world events. Read up on some wars, treaties signed, land purchased, etc. Before you start writing, be sure to include a short outline of the details you will include in your short answer.

For example:

I. Intro
    A. Detail One
    1. Support/Evidence
    B. Detail Two
    1. Support/Evidence
    C. Detaili Three
    1. Support Evidence

II. Body
    A. Detail One
    1. Support/Evidence
    B. Detail Two
    1. Support/Evidence
    C. Detaili Three
    1. Support Evidence

III. Conclusion
    A. Detail One
    1. Support/Evidence
    B. Detail Two
    1. Support/Evidence
    C. Detaili Three
    1. Support Evidence

That's what I did and this helped me very much.

Also, I was asked more about CA History than World or US History. Just like what the authors have mentioned in their book.

Pace yourself. Take some breaks if you need to. Stay positive. I know this can be harder said than done. But you do need to.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2010

It's best not to introduce and conclude, essay style, in one's constructed responses: both time and space for the constructed responses are limited - as in less than 15 minutes, if one is taking all three subtests, and 22 or so lines per constructed response. Bullet lists are fine.