CSET scoring and studying

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by crazycatlady80, Oct 20, 2016.

  1. crazycatlady80

    crazycatlady80 Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    6

    Oct 20, 2016

    I'm taking the CSET multiple subjects exam. I'm starting off with section 3, because I felt it was the easiest section. So far I've done pretty good. In the first practice test I got a raw store of 24 and needed 26 to pass. My biggest concern are those constructed response questions. One of them in the Cliff Study guide involves reading music! I can't read music at all and, despite studying for it, I'm still confused. If I score badly on one of the constructed response questions, can I still pass if my score on the multiple choice tests were high enough? Also, if I don't do well in one section, can I still pass if I do well on the other three sections, as it is with the CBEST.

    As for a general study strategy, I'm thinking of studying 1-2 hours per day M-F and 8 hours total on Saturday and Sunday. My test days 10/29, 11/13, and 11/28. For this coming week, I will focus on section 3 (10/29), Then for two weeks I will focus on section 1 (11/13) and the math in section 2. Then I will focus on the math and science in section 2 (11/29). I'm planning on using a lot of flash cards based on the information from Cliff Guide and the standards. How does that sound? I really need to pass the first time around, but I'm so busy with going to school full time and working full time. Any suggestions?
     
  2.  
  3. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    Messages:
    29,807
    Likes Received:
    1,171

    Oct 21, 2016

    CBEST does use what's called "compensatory scoring", where a higher-than-fully-passing score on one section can help shore up a slightly-less-than-fully passing score on another, so one can pass math with a scaled score of 37 provided the sum of the scaled points in the other two sections exceeds 86. CSET doesn't: each subtest of any CSET exam is passed with a scaled score of 220, period. Please note, by the way, that that's 220 on a scale that tops out at 300 and begins at 100: draw yourself a number line, and figure out where 220 falls on it.

    Within a subtest, multiple choice questions account for 70% of scaled points and constructed response questions for the remaining 30%. The subtest is scored as a whole, and Subtest III covers human development and PE in addition to the arts: as long as the test taker can make up deficiencies in one kind of task or content somewhere else in the subtest, the test taker will pass.

    Let me add that the raw score for each constructed response is on a scale from 0 to 3: that is, it IS possible to get partial credit.

    To study music, your best bet might be to find a kid's music app for your computer or phone and play with it. You might also find a book of children's music that includes some tunes you know; try to figure out how the pattern of notes going up or down or staying the same corresponds to the pitches being higher or lower or staying the same.

    What are you doing by way of work?
     
  4. crazycatlady80

    crazycatlady80 Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    6

    Oct 21, 2016

    So the total score for the subtest is based on the multiple choice AND written responses, so in other words if you do really good on the multiple choice, your written responses don't have to be outstanding?
     
  5. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    Messages:
    29,807
    Likes Received:
    1,171

    Oct 21, 2016

    And vice versa, and yes.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 227 (members: 5, guests: 195, robots: 27)
test