CSET Science Subject Test

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by JDawg, Apr 8, 2005.

1. bret5645

bret5645 New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Thanks for the help! So quick with the response too!

Okay, I found a list of required coursework and I am missing a few things to get a waiver in geosciences.

I think I will take all three subtests (118,199,122) at the first session and see how I do. I think I am a strong test taker and this gives me a back up test date anyway.

Now, Im starting to study and get a few resources. I have read through most of your prior suggestions and it looks like you guys reccomend these:

Conceptual Physical Science, 2nd Edition, Hewitt
    CA Geology, Harden

Are there any other resources you recommend for the 2 general science subtests and the Geoscience subtest?

For example, what is the best Earth Science book to use? Are the books recommended by the CSET Annotated Resource list useful? One dates from 1985....

Also, I can add another Subtest at anytime right? Like if I want to do Biology later, when I have more time, like after or during my credential program?

2. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

My my primary prep material for subtests 1 and 2 was Usborne's Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia, supplemented by judicious use of the links. If I were doing it again, I would probably get the OCDE materials for those subtests as well.

I think any current California high school Earth Science text should do for subtest 3. I pretty much used Usborne, Harden and the internet.

You can add an authorization to your credential at any time by passing the appropriate CSET. If you do it while in your credential program, it will go on your initial application and credential. To add Biology, you will just have to pass the corresponding subtest 3.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2008

bret5645, if you've got a Borders or B&N handy, you'll find the Usborne Science Encyclopedia in the children's section. Don't be deterred by that. If you'd like an edition that will hold up to classroom use (this being a book your future students could use and enjoy), check your local phone book for someone selling Usborne Books At Home. I can give you a link to a seller, but she's located way south of you.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

5. bret5645

bret5645 New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Teacher Groupie,

I have found several used copies of the Usborne Science Encyclopedia (internet linked) online for sale. Some copies are paper back and pretty cheap. Do you suggest a hard cover so it can stand up for more use in the classroom? Also, before I buy, I was wondering if this book covers microbiology, cells, genetics and DNA, as well as forces and motion? I need the most practice in those areas... Im trying to find a good one stop study guide here.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2008

Yes, bret5645, and you probably want the library edition rather than the regular hardbound. Pricey, but worth it.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2008

8. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I have a quick question... please somebody answer asap.

In this country, BS degree means altogether how many units please? I really need to know asap.

Thank you,
    Basudha

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

The number of units for a BS depends on the school and the major. The minimum is typically 120 semester units (180 quarter units) although I have seen some majors where it was around 132 units.

10. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Thank you, Malcom.

-Basudha

11. Fatalfury64

Fatalfury64 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Wow. This is a bit of a surprise. I think I should study for subtest I and II instead of Geoscience III and IV. Thank you Malcolm.

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

No. Freaking. Way!!!! :clap:

This is AWESOME! If I pass part II then I get a credential! Science here I come!

Well, next school year anyway!

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008

Note that the press release indicates that the CTC has approved the authorization. It doesn't say anything about when the commission staff will be ready to process applications. If you are planning on going this route in the near future, I suggest you contact the CTC to make sure it will work with your time line.

14. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

Well, of course! I'm still hoping that I passed II & III when I took them last! But if I didn't, then I can possibly just concentrate on taking II and put off III till later.

15. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 19, 2008

Dang!! I didn't pass II again! AND my score was way worse than the first time! At least I can just study for this one and not have to worry about a III.

:(

16. Fatalfury64

Fatalfury64 Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

I'm shy 3 units of being full-time status. Although I'm studying for subtest I at the moment, I was wondering if an introductory chemistry class would help prepare for subtest II or would general chemistry be a much better choice?

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2008

That's pretty nice of them! Now I"m looking even more forward to taking those tests!

Fatalfury, I'm taking chemistry right now and I have a feeling that, looking at the domains for the test, that it should help prepare for the second one.

18. Fatalfury64

Fatalfury64 Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Fatalfury, I'm taking chemistry right now and I have a feeling that, looking at the domains for the test, that it should help prepare for the second one.[/QUOTE]

Are you taking intro or general Peach? I know general chemistry covers thermodynamics, stoichemistry, and maybe a little bio and cell chemistry.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2008

Hmmm, I don't really know what it's considered to be, all I know is when I compared the classes objectives to the domain, it looked to match up with what will be covered pretty well. Of course, each college is a bit different too. I would check the college catalog course descriptions and see what it says.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

Intro chemistry is typically aimed towards majors other than chemistry. General chemistry is typically aimed towards chemistry majors. If that is the case at your school, IMHO intro chemistry should be fine. My experience with CSET science tells me that the science tests are at the level of high school science and don't require the knowledge of a major in the subject. But check the curriculum against the CSET subject matter requirements in any case.

21. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

TENTATIVE NEW SCIENCE CREDENTIAL

In case some may not be aware, in early October, the CCTC will be voting on implementing a new general science credential. This credential will primarily be for middle school. Passage of the General Science sections I and II are all that's needed, as opposed to the additional specialty section III.

Being that I prefer MS to HS, this is right up my alley. When I first took (all 3 sections) the CSETscience, I passed the first section, but missed the second by 5 points. I missed the third by 10 or 15 points.

I always felt that the test had WAY more than I was going to be teaching my students anyway. Being that I've long term subbed by share of classes, I know all about that.

Look for the upcoming Foundations in General Science credential, similar to what was done for the math credential.

22. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 4, 2008

Well, if the CCTC is going to be voting on it, who do we have to bribe to get it passed? I'm really only interested in MS and would like to have the option to teach science (currently only a core or social studies), so this is perrrrrfect for me.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

24. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2008

LAEddie and Exclamation Po,

It is even better than that. The CTC already bought off on the credential at their last meeting. The process to get us to this point started late last year. All this October's meeting will deal with is approving the wording of the enabling changes to Title V of the CCR.

25. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 4, 2008

Ok. I'm still willing to bribe someone. Not that I have any money. I'll barter a bribe if I have to! Let's just do this already!!!!

26. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

Section I & II STUDY GUIDES, ANYONE?

For those who need a study guide that's somewhat condensed and very illustrated, I highly recommend Essential Science (or its three little brothers: Essential Biology, Physics, and Chemistry). It's helped me a great deal.

Being that I'm taking Section II on 9/13, it's covered quite a bit of the material that will be on the test. Of course, the test can be reworded in a way that could be totally baffling.

Check out Essential Science. It's pocket sized and carries lots of simplified info... although I could use a bit of work on the Laws of Thermodynamics. For some reason, they aren't gelling in my head.

Phi Beta Sigma, y'all!!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

28. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

Had I known what I know now, I would've taken I & II first, and went for section III (biology) later. Having to prepare for so many facets of science, and so much material, it pretty much overwhelmed me.

With this new general science credential in the wings, I'll have no need to worry about section III... not to mention that I prefer MS much more than HS.

Funny, there's stuff on section II that I didn't know then, but it's almost second nature to me now. Provided that I don't get a test with lots of trick questions, I might be able to knock this one out of the ballpark.

29. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS

Thanks, Groupie:

Cool, I'm hoping that the LofTDs won't be on the test. At least, I don't recall any questions regarding them last time. Also, I see no references to them on the CSET preparation site, which details which areas to get ready for.

For some reason, that's one minor area that simply doesn't gel in my memory banks.

I'm about to head to the library to check out this Usborne book you guys keep talking about. Even though I have Xam's CSET General Science prep book, I like peering through a number of sources. Since you guys seem to recommend Usborne quite a bit, I have to see what's up.

[

30. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

ESSENTIAL SCIENCE

After reading so much here about Usborne's Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia, I went to the Central L.A. library to take a look at it. It turns out that it's a "big brother " of Essential Science, which I found out is also an Usborne book.

Although the Science Encyclopedia may cover a bit more, I found that Essential Science (with its Biology, Chemistry, and Physics sections) to be well illustrated, full of facts, and quite helpful.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

Essential Science is good, yes, and so is Usborne's Dictionary of Science. The advantage that the Science Encyclopedia has is that it does cover earth and space science - and the illustrations are grand. Another good choice is Dorling Kindersley's Online Science Encyclopedia, though I haven't seen copies in bookstores for a while.

32. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2008

The First Law of Thermodynamics is certainly fair game for CSET Science Subtest 2. If you didn't see it on the form of the subtest you took, it doesn't mean it won't be on another.

33. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

ESSENTIAL SCIENCE vs USBORNE'S SCI ENCYCLOPEDIA

True, Essential Science does lack earth and space science. Being that I've already passed subset I, that's a hurdle I don't have to deal with now. However, for subset II, it's almost heaven sent for me. I was lucky to have found it in the local library.

Yipes! I have less than a week to go for the test.

34. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

Oh no, I'm not going by my memory of the last time I took the test, which was almost 2 years ago. I've been checking out the General Science Subject Matter Requirements, which is a PDF from the CSET website.

The GCSMR lists a number of areas that will likely be on the subsets. It lists quite a few areas, but doesn't include the Laws of Thermodynamics. I'd like to hope that it's somewhat accurate.

I've dealt with Laws of Gravity, Laws of Conservation of Energy, and other scientific laws, but this one appears to be the only one that doesn't click well with me.

35. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

If you are not quite familiar with any area, just skip it. Focus on some basic areas. You only need to do about 60% right to pass.

36. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, I'd thought about that, but after missing by five points last time, I don't want any chance of blowing it again. I'd like to see if I can pull a District Intern (or pre-intern) position in the spring. So, I gotta' pass this test on Saturday... or November.

On the bright side, I do know lots more about subtest II domains than I did last time. So, I'm a wee bit more confident than I was 2 years ago.

Uhh... Malcolm, what's your educ-background? Me, I graduated in sociology. Science would've been cool, but I had a weak math background, so I opted for the social sciences. Between my alma mater and LACCD Instructional TV, I have 16 units of science and 5 in health. With 20 units of science, I could've been in the pre-intern program already... on the condition that I pass the CSET within an arranged time period.

So, I gotta' pass this subtest.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2008

Five points: that's promisingly close, LAeddie.

Have you ever tutored anyone in science? In anything else?

38. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

SMR Domain 11 is entitled Heat Tranfer and Thermodynamics. 11.1a says "Know the principle of conservation of energy and apply it to energy transfers." That is all about the First Law of Thermodynamics. To amplify this, check out the referenced California Content Standards for Science--Physics 3a.: "Students know that the work done by a heat engine that is working in a cycle is the difference between the heat flow into the engine at high temperature and the heat flow out at a lower temperature (first law of thermodynamics) and that this is an example of the law of conservation of energy."

One could reasonably risk blowing it off if you are having trouble with it and spending the prepartion time on something more productive. There likely won't be many questions on it. IIRC I had one. And it won't be on one of the CR questions each of which is worth about 10% of your score.

I have an M.S. in Business Administration--Information Science. I worked in the computer industry for many years. My last math or science class was many, many years ago. I prepared on my own using the resources and approach listed in this thread and elsewhere.

39. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

Nah, I've been asked to tutor a few times, but it's usually in math and that's a weak point for me. Math gave me trouble during the CBEST and I had to retest that section. After studying for a couple of months, it ended up being my highest of the three scores.

Being that I'm much more familiar with the material (subtest II) than I was, in '06, I hope to do much better this time.

Phi Beta Sigma, y'all!

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

I asked because many people find they do better when they imagine themselves explaining the question to a colleague or guiding a favorite kid through answering the question.