CSET Science Subject Test

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by JDawg, Apr 8, 2005.

1. SUE#3

SUE#3 Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

I would like to take subtest III & IV, I did the test but was not succeful. PLease guide me to what to stuy and where to find the information.

Thank you
    sue#3

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 11, 2006

Subtests III and IV of CSET Science? If so, then you're talking about Science (Specialized) - but SUE#3, you haven't said which of the four science areas you're specializing in.

3. laurenmac

laurenmac New Member

Dec 21, 2006

Passed 118, 119 & 120!!

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts, suggestons and insights regarding the CSET science tests. I have not posted before but have been reading all of your posts. I passed 118, 119 and 120 all on the 1st try. I followed the content domains given on the cset website and answered them all one by one. I simply wrote out the answers and reviewed before each test. I didn't have time to do more than that. I took each test separately. I got my BS eons ago
    (1982) and found the CSETs fairly easy considering it had been so long since I was a formal student (other than credentialing classes)
    Now for "fun" I am going to take the earth/planetary science test in Jan. Don't think it could hurt to have this credential too.
    Godd luck to all of you!
    Lauren

4. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Dec 21, 2006

Hi Lauren,

Could you give me the URL please for the content domains please?

Thanks Basudha

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2006

Chances are that lauren is talking about the official Content Specifications documents for CSET General Science and specific sciences and/or about the subtest descriptions document; you'll find all of those here:

http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS_testguide_Sciopener.asp

The subtest description document for each subtest lists the parts of the subject matter requirements that that subtest covers.

6. erinbear927

erinbear927 New Member

Jan 1, 2007

Just discovered this board and it is awsome. I'm kind of fumbling around with little help and have a very silly question and am hoping you all can help. Do I need to take the specialized test for each subject that I want to teach? I have taken 119, 120 and 124. I saved 118 for last, but upon reviewing job openings in my area, it seems like its much easier to get a position if you can teach both bio and chem. Does this mean that I need to take 120 and 125 as well? Or just 120? Again, sorry for the silly question.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2007

For the full science credential, you take 118 and 119, and subtest 3 for whatever sciences you want. That lets you teach those sciences and general science. If you don't care about teaching general science, then you can get a specialized credential that only allows you to teach a specific science. You just take subtests 3 and 4 for the specific science for that.

8. erinbear927

erinbear927 New Member

Jan 2, 2007

Thanks. Thats what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.

9. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

Hi,

I need help! I was about to apply for CA preliminary 5 years teaching credential through CCTC. Then, I came to know about hayward education(county) dept. They are telling me not to apply through the CCTC since they will take several months. Whereas, if I apply through the education dept, I could work while the processing will be on.
    Now, I got lost. What would I do? I went through CAL State HAYWARD, and they told me to apply directly to CCTC. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO--- SOMEBODY GUIDE ME PLEASE.
    What is the difference-- what is the advantage-- what is the disadvantage--- I want to know all. If I could go through county office smoothly, why the State university people didn't tell me that?

I will look forward to hearing from you--- Thank you

-basudha

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2007

The hiring district can request that the county office of education issue a temporary permit that allows you to teach while the CTC is making a decision on your credential application. I don't think it makes any difference whether you apply directly to CTC for your credential or let the county file it with the CTC for you. Either way, the application will go to CTC. And either way, the county can issue you a temporary permit as long as the application has been filed with the CTC. FWIW I would probably go with whatever my employer requests.

11. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

But, if I go through the CTC directly, how the county office will know my status. So basically, I won't be able to work if I apply directly to CTC -- that might be a disadvantage-- isn't it?

What do you want me to do; going through the county office OR CTC?

Thanks.

-Basudha

12. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

Can anybody answer the posted question?

Thank you--- Basudha

13. luckytesttaker

luckytesttaker Rookie

Jan 10, 2007

Here is my answer (based on my experience with the emergency permit process):

Go through your county office of education so you can get something (temporary permit) in hand quickly. The official application paperwork will end at CTC anyway.

Best of luck.

14. enaves

enaves New Member

Jan 11, 2007

CSET Science Test 120

I have taken the Science 120 test twice and have not passed it. My weakest parts are genetics and cell biology. What resources can I use to better prepare for this part of the test. Help!!!!:confused:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2007

16. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

Hi,

I applied for the preliminary teaching credential. Now, can anybody tell me is there any possibility to get hired with preliminary teaching credential in CA?
    If so, what might be the starting salary for a science teacher? Any idea will be appreciated.

Thanks.

-basudha

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2007

Questions about credentials, hiring, and starting pay are perhaps properly questions for another subforum - Student and Preservice Teachers, for one.

18. luckytesttaker

luckytesttaker Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

(If I understand you correctly) Of course you can get hired with a preliminary credential. After all, this is the credential that one would get at the completion of a credential program, say at a state university.

(If I am wrong, will someone please say it to clear up the confusion.)

19. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Hi,

I have my preliminary teaching credential in Biology which is expiring on 2012. Additionally, I am clearing the gen science subtests (I,II,III) to get better chance in teaching field. I already passed subtst I and preparing for II.

I have some questions:

1. Since I already have Biology credential, can I take 120 test at the end? If yes, after I pass subtest II, can I apply for gen science teacher with subtest I and II?

2. What do I do after I pass subtest II? Do I inform CCTC after that?

3. Is credential needed once? (I am probably asking stupid question)
    If I clear sub I and II, do I need gen science credential for that? OR If I take CSET Math, what is the credential matter? The same credential will be effective still then?

I will look forward to hearing from you--- Basudha

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2007

Do I understand correctly that you have a Science (Specialized) credential in biology? If you fulfilled the subject area knowledge requirement by passing Subtests III and IV, then presumably you would indeed only need Subtests I and II. If you fulfilled that requirement through coursework, however, the picture's a bit murkier.

21. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I do have credential in Biology. It is a preliminary credential.
    I already passed subtest I and preparing for II. If I pass, can I teach gen science now?

Do I need some other credential to teach gen science area?
    What do I do if I clear both subtest?

-Basudha

22. bermb4

bermb4 New Member

Oct 29, 2007

CSET Science Written Response

i have heard there is a written response question on the CSET about a "teeter-totter" / truck. Does anyone know about this and explain it to me?

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 29, 2007

(a) See the WARNING at the top of the page? We don't discuss specific actual test questions on this forum (and believe me when I tell you that the site owner had very good reasons for posting that warning).

(b) This thread is for CSET Science - that's a single-subject exam, as in an exam for people who intend to teach science in middle school or high school. I think you probably need the Multiple Subject Tests subforum; you can use the Forum Jump tool at the bottom of the page to get there.

24. africa95

africa95 New Member

Feb 26, 2008

HELP!!!

various machines used in physics problems...can you draw a lever and explain how it works...how is the mechanical advantage of the lever calculated?? can you assist me with this?? also what info do you have about 120?

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2008

26. game

game New Member

Mar 15, 2008

I only recently found this thread and from reading through it, i realized i made the mistake of registering to take all 3 subtests in one sitting! So i'm taking 118, 119, and 121. I'm a little scared now, but then again many of the posts have encouraged me a bit, especially the person who said they passed 121 without even attempting a CR!

I have a question though, since i accidentally registered for all 3 subtests, do you think it would be wise to invest all my time for 1 or 2 of the subtests only? Maybe only doing the 3rd one after i feel like i've done the best i could on the first 2? What consequences would i have to deal with for completely bombing one subtest or leaving it incomplete? I will for sure spend most my time on 121 since i studied that the most.

P.S. my CSET is later this afternoon :lol:

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2008

The consequence for completely bombing a subtest or even leaving it blank is having to pay for it again and retake it. That's all. Concentrating on 121 sounds like a fine idea under the circumstances.

28. game

game New Member

Mar 16, 2008

Well I finished all 3 tests within 5 hours. I spent about 2.5 hours on 121(Chem), i made sure to take as much time as necessary for that one. Then i spent about under 1.5 hours on 118, then about 1 hour on 119. Overall i felt pretty good about the multiple choice portions of all of them. And i did all the CR questions decently except for leaving one completely blank on 118 :(. Can't wait for the test scores, i'll be soooooo soooooo happy if i passed all 3 :haha:.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2008

I forgot to welcome you to A to Z, game.

Sounds promising - to the best of my knowledge, constructed response on subtest 118 counts for 20% of total points, so leaving the one blank isn't necessarily a deal-breaker.

30. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 23, 2008

Help... I confuse myself so very easily!

Ok. I currently have a single subject in Social Science (no CSET, I have a BA in Social Science) and a multiple subject. I've been teaching for 2 years, but can only seem to get a job teaching Language Arts. I'm not enjoying teaching Language Arts. :(

Next best thing to social studies is science, so I'm trying to get a single subject in science.

I took subtest 1 a couple of weeks ago. I'll be signing up for subtest 2 soon. My confusion lies in what to take after that. :huh: If I want to teach science in middle school, can I take any of the subest 3's? If I take, for example, earth science (122), is that all I can teach in high school? Would that keep me from being able to teach life science in middle school?

Also, since I have a multiple subject, and took a science methods class to get it, do I need to do anything else besides take the CSETs to get a single subject science credential?

My goal is trick some school into hiring me as a science teacher, then when there's an opening in social studies, make my move.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2008

If you've already got a single subject credential along with your multiple subject credential, all you need to get the additional subject area endorsement in science, I think, is to pass the requisite CSET (well, and throw some money at the state).

For what you want to do, you want CSET Science I and II plus CSET Science III in your chosen area: that will entitle you to teach all science classes that are in the curriculum for grade 9 and below (which doesn't mean there can't be kids in grades 10 and up in the class) - general science - plus whatever your specialty area is up to grade 12. There's no reason not to follow Malcolm's lead and eventually take more than one Subtest III, too.

32. game

game New Member

Apr 15, 2008

I passed all 3 of my tests! 118, 119, and 121! As I mentioned a few posts back, I blindly registered for all 3 tests in one sitting, so I'm extremely happy that I actually passed them all. I found this forum the night before my CSET so I didn't get to use the resources you guys had suggested, but if anything this thread did give me a lot of confidence going in. Thank you all!

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

Congratulations, game!

34. gponto18

gponto18 Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

Many thanks to Teachergroupie and Malcom, with your help I am pleased to announce that I passed General Science 118! I was honestly floored because I really thought I bombed it!

Anyway, I am on to the remaining General Science CSETs, I plan to use the same study methods you both touted, fortunately though physics was my toughest subject and that is now behind me, YAY!

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2008

Congratulation, gponto!

36. africa95

africa95 New Member

Apr 21, 2008

what were you study methods

hey gponto, congratulations on passing the cset...i just passed it also, but i wanted to know what were the study methods you got from this website? can you please email them to me at africa95@hotmail.com

37. G's Mommy

G's Mommy Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

HELP!!!

:help::eek::(
    I'm in such a jam...
    I did my B.A. in Liberal Studies, so I could teach elementary school. Then, I subbed in a middle school and loved it.
    I decided to just do my credentials in single subject English. I really had a hard time passing the CSET for it.
    I got offered a Science teaching position last year and took it. Mind you... I have no real knowledge of the content standards.
    I fell in love with teaching the subject, but I have to pass the CSET.
    I did all my lesson planning during the summer, so I read up on everything I needed to teach.
    There is soooooo much that I still do not know.
    I was thinking of taking a CSET help class... Maybe?
    Does anyone have any ides that can help?

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2008

Do you mean "no real knowledge of the content standards" as in not knowing what the standards say, or in not knowing what they mean?

You've been teaching science; that goes very far toward prep for the general science subtests I and II. If you fell in love with teaching the subject, that goes even farther.

A very good resource that we've discussed elsewhere is Usborne's Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia. You'll find it in the kids' section of Borders or Barnes & Noble. What makes it useful for a taker of single subject science is the Internet links that are maintained on the Usborne Web site - if you follow up those links and explore the Internet on your own as well, and if you think about how to make sense of the material to your stuck students, you should do fine.

What are you planning to specialize in for Subtest III?

39. G's Mommy

G's Mommy Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

I'll try it... Thank you.
    I was thinking of doing Chemistry for Subtest III.
    If I take that, would it be enough to teach all secondary Science classes or do I have to take the Bio. and Physics as well?

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2008

Passing the Chemistry subtest won't buy you high-school courses in bio, physics, and earth science, but it will buy you chem at all levels, including AP Chem, and general science classes of the middle-school level of sophistication, and it would probably buy you a year or so of grace in which to teach the bio or physics or whatever before you'd have to pass the relevant CSET.

If the goal is to be equipped to teach pretty much anything in science that's offered in middle school, you should be fine.