CSET Science Subject Test

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by JDawg, Apr 8, 2005.

1. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

I am planning to take only subtest I on this coming 4th Nov.
    I was wondering about one thing. There is no Chemistry part as such in the general science area---am I right? Mostly it is physics and some Biology, but no chemistry. I just wanted to make sure.
    Subest I: astronomy, Dynamic Processes of the earth, Earth, earth resources, waves, forces and motion, electricity and magnetism---RIGHT?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
    Thanks

-Basudha

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 27, 2006

What the official CSET Web site, http://www.cset.nesinc.com, says is on the test is what's on the test. If the relevant part of the Test Guide doesn't specify chemistry, then you won't see chemistry (which isn't to say that knowing chemistry couldn't come in handy, but that's a different issue).

3. joeykatt

joeykatt Rookie

Sep 28, 2006

Is it feasible to take all 3 subsets in one seating?? Or should they be taken separately?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 28, 2006

If you're good and fast at test taking, you might well be able to pull it off, but if you don't have to do them all at once, it makes perfect sense to spread 'em out and get a little more time in the process.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2006

It is doable. I seems that all the CSET tests are designed in such a way that someone who is well prepared and capable can score a passing grade on all the subtests in one session. Of course, that does not mean they won't have to make strategic decisions like abandoning one of the CR questions on one subtest to make time to do an adequate job on another.

The first two science subtests are very general and very basic. One can easily do them both in one session. I did easily. And IMHO if earth science is the third test, it is quite doable along with them if you are up to speed on everything and used to taking this kind of test. But personally, I wouldn't attempt all three in one sitting for the other sciences, such as physics, unless it was a do or die situation.

6. joeykatt

joeykatt Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

Thanks for the input. The third test I'm taking is the biology one and since I just graduated 3 years ago with a BS in molecular biology and have worked in research in that field since, I think that will actually be the easiest one for me. Its 118 I'm worried about!! I don't know what I'll do yet?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2006

Well, did you take (and get anything out of) college intro courses in sciences other than biology? If so, chances are pretty good you're in better shape than you fear.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2006

Well, almost everything on 118 is covered in Usborne's Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia. What isn't can be found easily on the internet.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2006

If you did molecular biology, joeykatt, you must have picked up some physics and chemistry somewhere along the line. Earth-and-space science shouldn't be that hard to brush up on: catalogue the key terms in the content specifications document, then start rummaging around with Google or Answers.com, and you should learn lots. If you're anywhere near LA or San Diego, there are fine museums (the George C. Page in LA is one, the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla is another) that will carry resources to help you.

10. joeykatt

joeykatt Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

Yes I had to take a year of physics and minored in chemistry, but wasn't really good at it, and basically scraped by. So it is all familiar, except the geology/astronomy which I didn't take. I did get the Hewitt physical science book and downloaded the standards and am studying off of those, hopefully that'll carry me through!

11. luckytesttaker

luckytesttaker Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

For subtest II there is chemistry, though not a whole lot, under "structures and properties of matters".

There is no chemistry in science subtest I.

Best of luck,

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2006

Bear in mind that most teacher tests aren't looking for "good at" nearly so much as they're looking for "good enough at". If you went to a reasonably good school, you're probably fine.

Here are some links for you:

http://www.ology.amnh.org/: this is Ology, and it links to a whole lot of science in a whole lot of ways

http://www.amateurgeologist.com/content/glossary: this is a glossary on geology for amateurs, but it should still be helpful

http://education.usgs.gov/california/grade_4_history_ss.htm: this is a link via grade 4 to the goodies on the USGS Web site

http://astro.unl.edu/: astronomy and other applets for education, plus other goodies, from the University of Nebraska

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2006

For subtests 118 and 119, "good enough at" just means at least barely reasonably conversant with the major topics...

14. joeykatt

joeykatt Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

Hate to beat a dead horse, but is studying the standards, and supplementing anything I don't understand with online materials or with textbooks enough to pass the CSET science. I'm assuming that as long as I know what is outlined in the SMR's I'll be okay, am I correct? I just don't want to be surprised is all.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 3, 2006

If it isn't on the SMR/content specifications, or pretty clearly implied by them, it won't be on the exam.

16. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

118 really isn't that bad. I still have yet to meet someone who hasn't passed it. 119 is a little harder in my opinion, but since you know Bio than you should be okay. good luck

17. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

Hi there! Initially, I plan to take Biology as my concentration but I am having second thoughts now. When I was going through the process of studying for Subtests 1 & 2, I discovered that I am enjoying the topics on earth science better than biology. And I feel that I can teach the former effectively than the latter. Do you think switching to Earth Science is a good move? Is there a good demand for an Earth Science teacher or being a Bio teacher is better?

Any suggestions or recommendations on the best resource book that I can use for Earth Science Exam?

Thank you and I certainly appreciate your honest response.

18. I<3Science

I<3Science Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

Well I hope to be able to teach Earth science myself, but I think there is probably a higher demand for Bio. Bio is pretty much in EVERY high school, but some schools don't even have an Earth science class at all. I should get my CSET scores next week. I am thinking about adding Bio or possibly Physics< but I would much rather teach Earth Science or a full blown astronomy class.

19. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

Thanks for your response. I didn't know that Earth Science is not available in every HS. Being in a new country, I'm not familiar with the HS system here in the US. Hmm, I guess I have to stick to my original plan then since I already have the resources i.e. books.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 12, 2006

You could always add Earth Science later.

21. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

I was going to take the Biology CSET originally as well, but enjoyed the Earth Science subject matter much more when studying for subtests I and II. I had asked my advisor at SJSU if I should just take the Bio test instead because I thought it would be easier to get a job. She said that no one has had a hard time finding a job with Earth Science on their credential. She also said to go with what you are passionate about teaching. I went and took the Earth Science subtest III and passed last May. I got a job teaching Integrated Science I at a high school without a credential. About 30% of Integrated Science I standards are pulled from Earth Science. I say to go with what you would have the most fun teaching.

Unfortunately, it is true that not every district offers Earth Science, but there are some out there that do. From what I hear, the reason Earth Science is not always offered is because there are not many people subject matter qualified to teach it. The only other downside is that Earth Science classes, when offered, are geared toward freshman. Someday that will change, I hope. Sooner or later, Earth Science should be regarded to a standard equal with Bio, Chem, and Physics.

22. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

Oh...and get Tarbuck's Earth Science and Harden's California Geology to prepare for subtest III Earth and Planetary Science if you plan on taking it.

23. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

I AM HAVING PROBLEM PREPARING THE GENERAL SCIENCE PARTII. WHERE WOULD I GET THE RESOURCES PLEASE? I MEANT SCIENTIFIC ETHICS, SCIENCE AND SOCIETY, SCIENCE LITERACY, SAFETY----. EVEN THOUGH IT THE GRADE LEVEL BOOKS ARE MENTIONED THERE, BUT IT IS STILL CONFUSING TO ME. PLEASE HELP---

BASUDHA

24. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

I appreciate your response, Aciervo. Good for you that you had somebody to counsel you when you were in a dilemma. And I'm glad that you're enjoying what you're doing. I think I'm going to pursue Biology, and take Earth Science later (just like what TeacherGroupie suggested).

Thanks for the info about the books...I'll certainly keep it on hand.

25. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Basudha, don't worry about that section of the test outline. Very few questions are based on ethics, safety, etc. The questions that are based on those topics are usually quite easy. At least this was my experience.

26. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Thank you aciervo. You always talk so positively! Your positivity gives me confidense--- (NO exaggeration)

I am taking sub I and II altogether in Jan. Is it ok? I am reading HEWITT conceptual physics. Additionally, I borrowed USBORNE dictionary.

Advise me if you feel some more resources for me. Is Campbell Recee enough for Biology part?Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks---Basudha

27. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Oct 15, 2006

Hi Aciervo! Were those the only two books you used to pass Subtest 3 of Earth Science? I looked through the CSET website and there were 3-4 books listed. If those 2 books you recommended are sufficient then I would try to scout for those.

By the way, have you read my PM? =)

28. juhi_bm

juhi_bm Rookie

Oct 16, 2006

two down.. one more to go

Just got the unofficial scores on internet, I am through CSET paper 119 (science). I will be writing paper 120 on November 4th

29. tazspazz

tazspazz Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

2/3rds of the way done!!!!

Just got my Unofficial test scores and Passed General Science 1 & 2 on the first try!!! I was shaking.. so happy!!! I used the Physical Science book to study for most of the exam. Now onto Biology Subtest III - Didn't make it the first time, just missed, but this time. .I am using the book they suggested! Any tips on the Bio exam would be most helpful. Want to be done with this and get on with my life!!
    Good luck to all!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2006

31. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

Hi tazspazz, did you use Hewitt book for Physical science?
    Give me some more hints. It would be helpful---Thanks.

-Basudha

32. tazspazz

tazspazz Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

Book for G.S.

Yes, that is the book I used, as well as Wikipedia and googling a few other things.

33. joeykatt

joeykatt Rookie

Oct 31, 2006

On the CSET website they give you the number of questions for each subset, ex: 7 questions for Forces & Motion and 1 constructed response. Are those the exact numbers or is that just an example??

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2006

Emphases may vary somewhat from version to version of a subtest, but if the Web site specifically says that Forces and Motion gets seven multiple choice questions and one constructed response, that's a good thing to take seriously.

35. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

Hi SMJ26,

Could you give me the perfect URL to get the questions for science sub I and II from CSET web page please? I got multiple subject, not the single subjest questions there. Please help!

OR any help will be appreciated.

-basudha

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

37. my58vw

my58vw Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

Hello all,

Over the last 3 months I passed Sections 118, 119, and 121 (Chemistry). All my review was through text books and I absolutly flew though 118 and 121, 119 was a bit harder since my areas are not in biological systems (my degrees are in chemistry and biological physics with a minor in mathematics and biology). Know the core material from each section is what will get you to pass.

BTW I did not even attempt the written responses in 119 and I passed the exam - It can be done!

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2006

Better, though, of course, at least to say something for each constructed response...

39. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

I passed Subtests 1 and 2 on my first try. Thanks for all your help. This is really a great site for people who are trying to be teachers like me. Keep it up!

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 5, 2006

Be sure you celebrate, CAnewbie...