CSET Science Subject Test

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by JDawg, Apr 8, 2005.

1. HilaryP

HilaryP Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

...and since I am on the forum, ugh, did II and III last saturday. I only had 2 months to prepare, and so I had to make decisions about what to focus on, used my intuition; it failed me. The very areas I chose to brush over were the ones used in the CR questions on III. There was one area I even hoped outloud, please, don't let this be a CR question! Several times! I think I managed to squeeze out at least 1 point score on each, maybe even a 2 on one of them. But, I'm still pretty sure I will taking that one over again.

The areas I did focus on were hardly on the test! No matter, I know I will still be teaching them someday!

On a more positive note, I'm confident I did fine on II, so at least that is out of the way.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

There are two different ways to identify subtests: within the subject area (Subtest I, II, III), or within the entire sequence of CSET subtest numbers. In other words, each subject area has its own sequence of subtests, and these may be identified within the subject area as Subtest I etc. But each subtest can also be identified uniquely by a three-digit number.

Cliff's big yellow book is about CSET Multiple Subjects Subtests I, II, and III, which are sequentially 101, 102, and 103. Cliff's won't do you much good for single subject science.

As Hilary has noted, the two general science subtests are 118 and 119. In addition, you'll need single subject Subtest III: 120 is biology, 121 is chemistry, and I don't now recall whether 122 is physics and 123 earth science or the other way around.

3. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Sutest I means reading, language and literature and social study.--- why do I need to take this area test to become a science teacher?
    Subtest II is clear since it has all the science subjects. But, do I take math even?In subtest III, there is no science subject at all. The subjects are physical education, human dev, and visual and performing arts--- how would I choose Biology from them?I am confused again.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

Basudha, the Cliffs book is NOT about the subtests you need to take, as I explained in my post #82. Cliffs is about CSET: Multiple Subjects: the subtests that are taken by people who want to teach in elementary school, who do indeed need to be able to teach young children about reading, writing, history, math, physical education, human development, and the arts, in addition to science.

You want CSET: Single Subjects in science. That is a different test with a different set of subtests, as I outlined above.

Please click on this link to go to the official CSET Web site: http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS12_testselection.asp. (If the link doesn't work directly, please go to http://www.cset.nesinc.com, click on the link at the left side of the page that says "Before You Register", and on the drop-down menu please select "Test Selection".) Look for the link "CSET: Single Subjects." This link will bring up a list of ALL the CSET tests, and if you scroll down the list you'll find the list of CSET Science subtests and of CSET Science (Specialized) subtests.

And, no: if you are testing in single subject science, you do not need to take an examination that's specifically in mathematics, though the science exam does have you do some calculations.

5. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Now I got it. I will take 118 (all), 119 (all) and only 120 since I am from Biology field. Thus, I will get the single subject (science) test done and I will be elligible to teach in Middle and high school 9science)--- am I right?
    Thanks for your consistent help though.

6. luckytesttaker

luckytesttaker Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

More info:

Subtest I (i.e., 118) is focused on geology and physics.

Subtest II (i.e., 119) is focused on ecology, biology (including genetics and evolution), and chemistry; but judging from the test last Sat 7/22, chemistry seems to take a back seat to biology.

Hope that helps.

7. juhi_bm

juhi_bm Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Basudha

You also need to do the teacher certification program to be eligible to teach.

8. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

I have already done my masters in Zoology and bachelors in education from India. I got my evaluation done here.

Thank you for your information though.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2006

You will have proven subject matter competence to teach biology (life science) and general science classes. Note that this does not qualify you to teach physics, earth science (geoscience) or chemistry. You would have to pass the appropriate subtest 3 for each of them if you want to teach them.

10. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

If I do single subject (Biology only), do I take only subtest III-120 please?
    I was trying to waive the CSET test and submitted all my transcripts to Cal state East Bay. The process is weird. They are telling that I have to take Geology, Math, physics--- all the classes which I do not need even if I take the Biology test. The international students face a great problem here.
    Anyways, I droped that hope to waive CSET. It is better to take the test indeed.

Please tell me what test would I take only to get the subject matter done in Biology please? subtest III OR 120---RIGHT?

Where would I go for the credential program other that Cal state Hayward-- do you have any list in California please?

Thanks

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2006

As to the subtests, this thread contains several explanations, but let me try again.

If you want to be able to teach general science with a biology emphasis, you take CSET subtests 118 and 119 (which are general science) and 120 (which is biology).

If you want to teach ONLY biology, you take CSET subtests 120 and 124.

As to approved credential programs, there's a list on the Web site of the California Commission for Teacher Credentialing, http://www.ctc.ca.gov.

12. HilaryP

HilaryP Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Basuda, I think you need to slow down. You having so much difficulty just figuring out which tests to take, I think you are not ready for the classroom. Teacher preparation programs are very big on literacy, in ALL subjects. I think you will get much much more out of your credential program if you take a year and work on your English language skills. You can work as a substitute, the experience will be very valuable.

13. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I won't disagree with you. I am from different country; needless to say,it is usual to take little time to get used to the procedure. I am sure anybody would go through same confusion vice versa.

As you mentioned about English language skill, I have seen a tons of grammatical problems in his/her writing who demands as a prudent person in teaching career.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2006

One of the first things we were told in my credential program is that all teachers are teachers of English, regardless of what subject they teach. That said, I don't think a lack of total fluency in American English will affect your job prospects. Currently, there just are not enough science teachers to go around for districts to be too picky in this respect.

15. luckytesttaker

luckytesttaker Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

My guess is that they would tell everyone the same thing, not just international students. This is why the best way is to take the CSET, because {CSET+ BS or BA in whatever field} qualifies you for subject matter competency without having to take any technical courses.
    Credential courses are separate. Everyone has to take them.

16. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Thank you, Luckytesttaker. You told me exactly that thing what a person (like me) wants to hear from a prudent person like you--an advice; nothing something frustrating. I would remember that for ever.
    I will do that.

17. Riki

Riki Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Hi Basudha,

You have a B. Ed and a Masters from India-- same as I do and you are planning to write the Csets. I think you are eligible to get a preliminary SS credential if your transcripts show you had done student teaching.With that credential you can apply for jobs and you will have five years to take the required coursework to get a professional clear credential. Even you can take your time to go for the Csets.I already have a teaching position with the preliminary for the next school year.I have only passed the CSETs.I don't know yet exactly what else I need to do to clear my credential because it's been 7 months I haven't heard from the CCTC.

Riki.

18. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Thank you Riki.
    But who will give me the information regarding the procedure? I have taken an appoinment to a credential advisor in Cal State Hayward in September. Can she help me? Or should I go directly to the school dist? But now, I am waiting for my work permit.
    I am planning to take CSET (Biology) as soon as possoble.But after it is done, can I take the general science test separately?
    So basically, is it possible to take subtest 120 and 124 first(specialized) and then sutest 118,119 according to my confidence?

Give me some suggestions please.

Thanks a lot.

19. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

That is a possibility. If you take subtests 120 and 124 you will prove subject matter competency for Biology only. That will be enough to get admitted to a California credential program as long as you meet all of the other basic requirements as outlined by your credential program advisor. When you are ready, you can take the 118 and 119 subtests and you will then be subject matter competent for general science as well.
    And Basudha, don't listen to these other posts about not having good enough English to teach in public schools. Your writing is fine. I remember my physics teacher in high school was Vietnamese and he had a thick accent, but we still understood him and were able to grasp the material.

20. juhi_bm

juhi_bm Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Each subtest can be taken independently. You can take 120 and 124 and then take 118 and 119 later. But with 120 and 124 you would be able to teach only biology and not general science (more general science postions are available).For international students passing CSET is much faster and easier way to get your single subject matter competency verified when compared to transcript evaluation. The credential programs I checked in bay area recommended passing the CSET in comparision to taking a waiver. CSET science is not very tough and can be passed with some preparation.But if you have work authorization in USA getting a preleminary credential like Riki suggested would be a great way to go.

21. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I can handle superficially all the discouraging elements of life, aciervo_Otherwise, life would have been stopped thinking about all the negativity. Still, thank you for your encouragement and showing all the possibilities. I really appreciate these.
    Atfirst, I thought about the general science test. But, I think I need a lot of study for that since I am from Biological field. Eventually, I thought about specialized in Biology which would be easier to start from.
    Juhi bm, I am not sure about preliminary single subject credential yet. Riki adviced me about that. I wonder that where would I apply for that?
    I am not sure even if I am elligible to get that even. I will try though.
    I got the CSET waiver process done from CAL STATE HAYWARD. Still the breadth evaluation is under processing. They want me to do a lot of classes. comparing the total time of those taken classes, taking CSET would be easier for me.

22. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2006

FWIW it seems like subject matter waivers are very rare. Basically the courses you took elsewhere have to sum up to at least the equivalent of the courses required in the local university's CTC approved subject matter program. A good example is waivers for math. You could have a bachelor's degree in math from the most prestigeous university in the world and not get a waiver if you do not have a course in math history. And most math majors don't take such a course.

I will be pursuing a waiver in business. I have both B.S. and M.S. degrees in the subject. My guess is that the university will require a least one additional course for a waiver because degree programs have changed a bit over the years since I got my degrees. If they do, I will probably take the appropriate CSET instead.

Your credential advisor at Hayward should be able tell you what you need to know about credentials. If not, you can contact the CTC directly.

23. Riki

Riki Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

You can go to your county office of education credential department with your transcripts and they will immediately issue your temporary preli credential and send the paper works to the cctc.What I have understand is that cctc then takes the required processing time to either approve or deny the application. If they approve they will let you know what are the steps needed to clear your credential and if your transcripts show enough units of student
    teaching possibly you won't have to go through the credential program again. I came to know about this procedure from Filipino Math teacher who didn't have to do the credential program here.I don't exactly know whether the process works if you don't have
    work permit.So you can utilize the time preparing for the CSET. They are not hard at all and most school districts are particular to comply with NCLB.

24. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

HI! I plan to take CSET science subtests 1 and 2 this coming November. However, I need your expert advise as to what reference materials should I use to pass these tests. Do you think getting Usborne's Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia is enough? Or, should I supplement it with something else? Is Conceptual Physical Science by Paul Hewitt, et al a good buy? I appreciate your response.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2006

The Usborne works if - IF - you use the Internet links in it fairly thoroughly, and if you pay attention to what's on the Subject Matter Requirements/Content Specifications documentation on the CSET Web site. The Hewitt's been praised by others here and would doubtless be a good choice. It's probably available for less as a used book through eBay or www.powells.com.

Do I understand correctly that you're holding off on your specialty area test? In which area were you planning to specialize?

26. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2006

I used Usborne's Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia. Believe or not, for the most part, the first two CSET science subtests are at the level of this book. But IMHO this book by itself it is not enough to ensure that you will pass. It is close, but not close enough. You don't have to follow all the links. Judicious use of appropriate links to expand on certain information is enough. IIRC I used the links mostly to expand on some biology topics. One link I recall using was one with very nice graphics that explain all the organels in both plants and animals. Just make sure that you have covered all the topics listed in the CSET documents and you should be fine.

27. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Thanks for your answers. I am kind of worried because it has been 10 years since I last touched on HS subjects especially Biology.

TeacherGroupie, I plan to take Biology as my specialty area. My plan is to take subtests 1 and 2 in one test date, and subtest 3 for the next test date. Since, I think more preparation is needed for the last subtest.

Am I correct in sayin that the Usborne's Internet-linked enclopedia comes with a book plus a list of web links?

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2006

Many of my students have been away from high school a good many more years than ten! If you took any science in college, that will help too.

As to the Usborne, the Web links appear on each double-page spread of the book (which is well-organized, clear, and vividly visual).

Don't panic, okay?

29. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2006

First two subtests in one session and the third one two months later is what I did, too. If the physics subtest I took is any indication, you'll need some much heavier than Usborne for the biology test. I used Schaum's Outline of Physics for the third subtest. If I were doing biology I used Schaum's biology.

You can check out Usborne's links here.

FWIW I was over 30 years out of high school when I took CSET science.

30. maudite

maudite New Member

Aug 16, 2006

Hello everyone,
    I would like to get a study group started for the CSET subtest II. If you are interested in meeting once, twice, or three times a week please let me know. I have passed subtest I and III, however, I'm having difficulty passing the US history part. I'm located in the LA area.

31. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2006

No history in CSET Science. Perhaps you wanted to post in the multiple subject forum?

32. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

thanks for all your inputs and your words of encouragement.

Can you find Schaum's Biology book in a bookstore?

33. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2006

All the major bookstores around here have it. You can also get it online at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.

34. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I hear Schaum's are good, but I used the Campbell/Reece biology text as recommended on the CSET test guide and it was a great resource for the biology section of subtest II. I am also using it for subtest III biology that I will take either in Nov. or Sept. As far as subtest I goes, I have to recommend the Hewitt book. It covers almost everything on that test. I supplemented that with answers.com and it worked great.
    And CAnewbie don't worry so much about the science CSET. If you study, you will do fine. I didn't know all that much about Science until I started preparing for these exams. Now I have a job at a middle school here in northern Cali as an intern all in less than a year. California needs Science teachers and once you pass these CSETs you won't have a problem getting into a credential program as long as you meet the other requirements as well. Good luck.

35. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2006

Yes, there are many other good resources for preparing for CSET besides the Schaum's Outline series. The important thing is to pick ones that you are comfortable with and that work for you.

36. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

Hi Aciervo,

Could you give some more specific idea about the Hewitt book please? I am not able to find it out. Which one should I take to get prepared for subtest I and II please?

Thanks -- Basudha

37. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

Hi Basudha. The book is Conceptual Physical Science by Paul Hewitt, John Suchocki, and Leslie Hewitt. The book covers Physics, Chemistry, Geology, the Atmosphere, and some Astronomy. There is little math in the book, it is mainly concept based. It will prepare you for general science subtest I and the chemistry section of subtest II. For the biology section of subtest II, I had purchased Starr's Biology...The Unity and Diversity of Life, and Campbell/Reece's Biology. I hardly ever used the Starr book. Campbell's Biology is great and has more than enough info to prepare for subtest II and subtest III Biology(120). I bought all of these books used at amazon.com...and I purchased old editions to save money. I only spent a few dollars per book. I think it was a good deal. I did use the Usborne's Dictionary of Science and thought it was too limited in depth for me to really grasp the Science concepts outlined on the test guides. It may be enough to just pass the subtests I and II, but I really wanted to learn the material, especially since I'm going to be teaching it! I would say that the Usborne book is good if you supplement it with texts. Hope that helps.

38. BASUDHA MUKHERJ

BASUDHA MUKHERJ Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

aciervo, thank you very much for all the information.

-Basudha

39. aciervo

aciervo Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

you are very welcome!

40. CAnewbie

CAnewbie Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Thank you. Now that you suggested it, I plan to purchase the book by Campbell and Reese to supplement Schaum's book.

Are there any websites or books wherein I can get a sample CSET exam to practice on? I just want to have a feel as to what kind of questions/problems to look out for Subtests 1-3. All I am seeing are multiple-subject exams, but none for single-subject.