CSET Science Subject Test

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by JDawg, Apr 8, 2005.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2010

Whereabouts in the state are you located, G's Mommy?

2. G's Mommy

G's Mommy Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

I live in North Hollywood, CA

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2010

Hm. I don't know if LAUSD is still offering CSET workshops, but it's possible - would be worth looking into, anyway.

What are you seeing on side 2 of your score report, in the chart of performance indicators?

4. loves2cram

loves2cram Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to thank everyone for offering great suggestions for studying. Thank you!

I will be taking 118 and 119 on the November test date.

I had originally registered for 118, 119, and 122.... but after reviewing the sample questions and domain outines on the CSET website, i decided to withdraw from 122 and take it at a later date... I will be getting a refund =)...

Good luck with your studying!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, loves2cram. I've always been fond of the Central Coast.

Splitting CSET Science up, rather than taking all three subtests in one gulp, can make great sense - and as you doubtless know, the first two subtests alone will get you Foundational-level Science.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2010

loves2cram, good luck on the test! I agree that taking one or two of them will be much less stressful and will definitely be doable!

I did my student teaching in Orcutt. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that area!

7. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

My understanding is that the general science subtests I and II are each weighted 80/20, while the subtest III in your chosen area is 70/30. What about subtest IV if you're going for one of the specialized credentials? Is it 70/30 or 80/20? I am specifically looking to find out about the geoscience subtest IV if it makes any difference.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2010

The specialized credential authorizes the holder to teach ONLY in one particular area of science; my sense is that most schools prefer candidates who can also teach general science courses (for example, general physical science or life science courses intended for students at the ninth grade or below).

It's important to recall, too, that the constructed responses are NOT essays: sentence structure and mechanics and all the other CBEST-essay issues are NOT important.

9. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

Do you know how subtest IV is weighted? I think I found a doc from 2003 wherein the CTC was proposing the passing requirements for the new subtest IV tests (80/20 for all sciences except geoscience, and they listed geoscience at 70/30). But, I can't find out if those standards are what was actually accepted and implemented. Here's the doc: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/commission/agendas/2003-12/december_2003_PERF-1.pdf

And thank you, yes I'm aware of the limitations of the specialized credential. I am actually just attempting to pass the specialized CSET subtests right now so that I can apply to a program at a UC to be credentialed and pick up a master's degree (a 1 year program). I figured passing a specialized set of subtests would be the most feasible in the limited window of time I have to pass and apply to this UC program by December, and I plan to add the general science subtests later (as well as English and possibly Physics as well) before I even apply for a teaching job.

I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait a month for my results haha.. I took it for the first time on Saturday. I only recently decided to take the plunge and go for a teaching credential- that same day I looked at CSET and CBEST for the first time and saw the test dates etc.. from that day I had 12 days to study before the first test date (while working full time) and I think there's actually a chance I may have passed both, though I think it's going to be very close if I did. Earth and planetary science was completely foreign to me (I majored in Anthro) so we'll see.

10. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Oct 14, 2010

Haha awesome, I passed both =X But you better believe that I'm going to immerse myself in the subject and know it like the back of my hand before I step foot in a classroom to teach it! =)

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 14, 2010

Congratulations, Idealist17! I'm thrilled for you but not very surprised.

12. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Oct 17, 2010

Hello all! I foolishly signed up to take 118,119,120 on Nov 6 to make sure the grad schools I'm applying to get my scores early, but I have decided after reading the posts on here to break it up. I instead have decided to just take 120 on Nov 6 and the other ones in January. Yay more time to study! For the 120, I just had some quick questions. What level of detail are they expecting because when it says something like "Explain the role of mitochondria in cellular respiration", do they just want to know that cellular respiration occurs there or do they want me to spit out the entire cellular respiration cycle including glycolysis, citric acid cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation? If anyone has insight into just how in depth they want, because even though they don't specifically ask for the stages of cellular respiration, will they still want it? I don't know. I'm using Biology by Campbell and Reese. Am I glad I didn't sell that book back when I graduated! Any advice would be super!

Thanks a lot!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, fozzywozzy.

The sample answers in the Test Guide for this subtest should give some idea of the depth of response for which the scorers are looking. If you know the cellular respiration cycle in that depth, however, and if you can fit it into the assigned answer space (bear in mind that the writing lines are superimposed on a grid, so the line spacing is wider than you might think), then do please show off a bit.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2010

So far I've taken (and passed :D) both 118 and 119. When I studied for both, I studied as if I had to know and explain thoroughly in depth, each and every question. I wrote out all of my responses to each of the domains that may be covered in the test and usually went above and beyond. Never hurts to study too much than not enough. :)

15. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Oct 17, 2010

That's true to be better prepared by knowing more rather than less. I have this problem though of going too much sometimes on some thing because I think it's going to be important and then be not so good on another subject they want a lot of detail about. I just wanted to see if I could gauge whether or not knowing those cycles in detail. If so, I have a lot of relearning to do on cell bio and I don't like cell bio. But I guess I have to get through it!

16. biobuff

biobuff New Member

Oct 18, 2010

CSET 124

I am appearing for the cset 124. Can anyone please let me know the number of multiple choice and essay types questions in the test. The syllabus seems to be pretty much the same as 120. How can i study differently for this one?
    Thank you

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 18, 2010

The structure of each of the subtests is laid out in the General Information doc for CSET Science. 124 is CSET Science Biology Subtest IV; you'll have 40 multiple choice questions and one constructed response. Subtest IV in biology does indeed call on the material tested for biology in the General Science subtests.

Are you truly planning to teach nothing but biology?

18. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Oct 19, 2010

I was just wondering, in earlier posts someone had written that if it's not on the domains don't worry about it too much for the exam. Does this mean that what is in the parentheses is when it says, (eg 1,2,3) we need to add more to that list or is that list it for exam purposes? I don't know why I'm constantly questioning this, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I wish the Phillies weren't in the playoffs so I could just focus on the test but I want them to win! Priorities, priorities.

Thanks.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 20, 2010

I'm afraid I don't quite follow what you're asking, fozzy.

20. loves2cram

loves2cram Rookie

Oct 22, 2010

Update on studying...

Found great college textbooks in a $1 Book Store..... four text books for $4... cant beat that price. =)

Also using the UCI on-line test prep. link.

I was studying at home, but found myself multi-tasking (laundry, dishes, etc.) now I'm studying at starbucks 4-5 hours per day on weekdays.

About 2 weeks for Nov. 6 test date.... good luck to everyone!

:)

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2010

Sounds good, loves2cram.

22. biobuff

biobuff New Member

Oct 29, 2010

Thank you for the information on CSET 124. Yes at the moment i want to focus only on Biology. I am thinking that while i am doing my credentials from a college i can give CSET 118 and 119 so that by the end of the program i am eilgible to teach general science as well.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 29, 2010

Okay. I've found it's always wise to doublecheck: many people who take these exams have (and in some cases are given) misconceptions about how the Subtests IV work.

24. biobuff

biobuff New Member

Nov 3, 2010

Thank you for the heads up TeacherGroupie. I will definitely check again. I am taking subtest 124 on 6th nov. Hope to clear it.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2010

Good hunting to you, biobuff.

26. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Nov 7, 2010

Oh man, took the 120 today and it was pretty much what I expected except for some tricky questions that could have had 2 answers or there were some I wasn't prepared for by the test guide, but I vaguely remembered from classes I've had before. Yay being a bio major at a liberal arts school. They make you take almost everything! Anyway, I'm wondering, about how many multiple choice questions do you need correct to pass, assuming there may be an essay or two that could have 2s and maybe, hopefully another one has a 3? There were some I guessed on, but many others I knew the answer, or could infer enough. I know I'm not going to rest easy until December, but hopefully this will help me a little until then!

Thanks!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 7, 2010

That's a difficult question to answer, fozzywozzy.

It's next to impossible to write test questions that are of exactly the same level of difficulty, so the test makers fudge things a bit: the algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled scores has factors built in to weight harder questions a little more heavily than easier ones. The idea is to ensure that each barely-passing score (for example) represents the same level of achievement.

It's generally the case on teacher tests that 2/3 of available points is enough to pass.

28. loves2cram

loves2cram Rookie

Nov 8, 2010

I wonder if anyone has any insight as to which science subtest might be a better choice to teach at the high school level.

I had originally decided to do the Earth and Planetary Science, but after looking at available positions on edjoin, it seems that schools want science teachers with multiple sciences.

Should I also do Biology? Chemistry? Physics?

I appreciate any comments/information that might help me decide.

29. sublimefenixx

sublimefenixx New Member

Dec 2, 2010

I just want to say that this forum is AWESOME. Thanks to the veterans for sharing your invaluable information. I have gotten the books I need to study for 118 and 119 for the Jan 8th test date.

Thanks again for all the help!!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

You're welcome, sublimefenixx, and don't be shy about posting your questions and comments.

31. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

I passed my biology 120 exam!!! :D I'm so happy! I over analyze my performance on tests after I take them, but I guess it was for nothing. Now onto taking 118 and 119 which is a bigger challenge because it's been a while since I took the other physical sciences. That's ok though, there's a lot of helpful resources on here!

32. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 6, 2010

Congratulations!!!

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

Well done, fozzywozzy!

34. loves2cram

loves2cram Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

got my score

I passed 118.... yay!

Thank you to everyone for all their advice and encouragement.

=)

Now studying for 119.....

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

Good show, loves2cram!

36. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

I got my score report in the mail today and I have a question about the constructed response performance information score. I have two check marks, 1 k, and my overall constructed response section is ++++. I guess I'm confused about how much check marks are worth compared to a +. Based on what they are saying, are check marks lower than + or higher than ++++? I understand what the k means, but I don't know what it says about how i did on the overall essay. Any explanation would be super!

Thanks.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

The plus marks indicate how many of the possible points you've amassed; my best guess is that + corresponds to 24% or fewer, ++ to 49% or fewer, +++ to 74% or fewer, and ++++ to more than 75% correct. These would be the scaled equivalents of the points assigned by the scorers.

As to the checkmarks or letters, I believe they're assigned after the fact, not so much as scores but as someone's best guess as to why a given constructed responses got the score it got. The checkmarks you got mean that, in someone's view, you didn't leave anything fundamental out in regards to identifying the point of the question (p), in showing off your command of the subject and its terminology (k), in backing up your answer with evidence or good reasoning or in giving further examples that make your point (s), and, in the case of extended responses, doing all of those in greater breadth and depth.

I'm going to guess that, for the constructed response on which you got a k, at least one scorer gave you something lower than the maximum raw number of points - but your scores were still high enough to keep you in four-+ territory.

38. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Dec 22, 2010

Well, it looks like it's that time of year, full of holiday cheer, and holiday stress studying for the CSET!! I'm debating this time about whether or not to skip out on the Gen Science II exam and just focus on the Gen Science I for the time I have left before January. I'm trying to rush to get both of the tests done in January mainly because USC won't consider my application complete until all of my exam scores are in. The other two schools I applied to, University of the Pacific, and Pepperdine don't need the scores to be accepted/deadline is in June. I would love to go to USC, but I think they should take into consideration all of my other exams if I won't have my CSET II done until March. Everytime I ask USC they just say to have the scores sent in as soon as possible, so hopefully April will be ok at this point! I know myself, and I know that with the time remaining, I'll do fine on the CSET I, but I want to get the tests over with. Do most of you who take the CSET general science break it up or take both at one go? Advice would be super!

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2010

Breathe, fozzywozzy.

Are you near enough USC to ask your question in person?

40. fozzywozzy

fozzywozzy Rookie

Dec 22, 2010

Unfortunately TeacherGroupie, I'm in the greater Sacramento area, so it would not be easy to get to LA. I feel like at this point, taking the CSET II later would work much better for me because I need more time to review the Physics portion, and it would let me breathe. I have time to think about it though I suppose.