CSET Science Subject Test

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by JDawg, Apr 8, 2005.

1. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Feb 13, 2010

Odd question about the General or Foundation Level CSET in Science for Junior High. I spoke with my advisor at the college and according to him you had to pass both general science courses and a specific area of study to get a science credential. Though he was looking through a 2006-2007 CSET book.
    Has anybody here gotten a job using JUST a General Science I, and II to teach junior high or will I have to go back and pass a level III science course to teach science. Ive heard alot of things, just wondering if anyone has put them into practice.

2. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Feb 13, 2010

RealRorschach This is a new credential being offered by the CCTC. What your advisor is talking about is the full Science Credential. The Foundational Level General Science credential was just approved and offered last year. (Ok, the approval happened quite a while ago, but they just started offering the credential last year.)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 13, 2010

RealRorschach, have a look here: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/notices/coded/2009/0902.pdf

For information about California credentials offered and what it takes to get them, the best resources are the CTC Web site and the credential analysts at either your local school of education or your local county office of education.

4. WallyBee

WallyBee New Member

Mar 11, 2010

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a few months now and it's been very useful. However, after volunteering in some classrooms, I have decided teaching is not for me. I have found another field I'm much more passionate about.
    I have books that I would love to give away for free: The Usborne Science Encyclopedia(2009), Conceptual Physical Science (Hewitt -2nd edition) and Biology (Campbell/Reece - this one said prepared exclusively for U.C. Davis). I would like to give all 3 books away at one time. Please PM me.

TeacherGroupie, please let me know if giving away books is allowed on this forum. I will not take any action until I hear from you first. Thank you!

And thanks to all who continue to teach and pursue teaching.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 11, 2010

If the site owner disapproves, WallyBee, I'd be very, very surprised.

And thanks in advance for your generosity. I cheerfully predict a stampede.

(One is tempted to bang on a triangle, chuckwagon-style, and holler, "Come 'n geeet it!")

6. tess0926

tess0926 New Member

Apr 12, 2010

That's about right I have not passes Social Studies test 1 but passed two and three first time. When I did pass that was it passed. I still cannot pass that dang test 1 getting real frustrating.

i wonder how many people actually pass this test are teachers getting left behind because of this? What if you never pass all those classes down the drain that you took in college for a credential.

7. ScienceFun

ScienceFun New Member

Apr 12, 2010

I am hoping someone will be able to help me out. I've passed all my single subject science tests except for science subtest II. For some reason I am having a difficult time passing this test. I have taken it twice and missed it by 10 points. Does anyone have any suggestions, study material, resources, tutors in California Bay Area... something?

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Apr 12, 2010

ScienceFun I've taken SCI II 4 or 5 times. I'm taking it again in May. It's an evil test. Hopefully someone will have some supercool resource that will help us both pass.

9. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

Apr 12, 2010

ScienceFun and all,
    I found the review course created by UC Irvine extremely helpful. In fact, it is all that I used to prepare for the Science I test -- and I am a social studies teacher! I just got my "PASS" email today.
    Go here: http://ocw.uci.edu/course/course_banner.aspx?id=101
    for review material for the Science II test. It is completely free and organized very well. Be sure to go through all of the Lessons before going on to the next Topic.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2010

Congratulations, LCFMOM!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2010

I just clicked on the link but it said resources cannot be found! I hope it's just a mistype!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

13. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

Apr 13, 2010

14. ScienceFun

ScienceFun New Member

Apr 13, 2010

LCFMOM,
    I actually used UC Irvines course for Subtest I and like you said it was extremely helpful; however, they only recentley put up Subtest II and to be honest there are a lot of problems with it including wrong answers!

15. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Apr 13, 2010

How do I know which are the wrong answers?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2010

What do you mean, Exclaimation Po?

17. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Apr 13, 2010

ScienceFun said the UCI CSET SCIENCE II course has wrong answers. Can I really use this as a study resource if it has wrong answers?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2010

Oh, sorry, my bad.

19. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

Apr 13, 2010

It is a very useful study resource. Each new unit begins with a few questions so that you can test your own knowledge about that topic. I did not see any wrong answers but I did see a few questions where the correct answer included the word "Correct". These are just errors by the programmer and are not important for studying.

UCI provides information that is laid out logically and succinctly. It also gives you links to click for more information. It is not meant to teach you the subject (although I did use it for that) but rather to organize your knowledge, make you aware of any knowledge gaps you have, and give you some places to go for more information. It is a review course, not a science course, if I am making myself clear.

All of that aside, I have never seen a study guide that did not have a few wrong answers in it. People make mistakes.

20. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I made a study guide for Science Subset Biology III off of the CSET learning domains, but I was not the craziest detailed about it. I mainly used Cliffs Quick Review Biology a biology textbook and alot of the internet.
    If anyone wants to check it over that would be great, or if anyone would like to use it for the upcoming test that would be cool to.
    What is the CSET likely to cover most of all?

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 17, 2010

Any of the topics in the content standards is fair game.

22. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

I just wanted to follow up on the Science II test study material. I used the UC Irvine website and it was great. I am a social studies teacher. The last time I took a science class was in the 1970's. Nevertheless, the UC Irvine site was my primary study guide. I also want to recommend the summer crash course given by Sonoma State University. You can find out about it on the college's education department website. It is a two week intensive review at the end of June to get you ready for the CSET in early July. I spent a nice two weeks in the wine country, had a good time in an upbeat classroom of future science teachers, and I passed the test.

23. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

Hello and thank you!

Hello all,

Firstly, congrats to everyone who has passed their CSET thus far and thank you to everyone who has given insight and suggestions as to studying for and passing the test.

I've been toying with the idea of becoming a high school teacher for some time, and just last week I made the decision to go for a credential & masters program at my local UC. I soon found out that I have no time to lose as there are only 2 test dates available between now and the first application deadline for the program I'm going for, with the first test date only 3 weeks away. I realize they may be somewhat flexible, but I want to maximize my chances of getting in (and I've been told it's highly competitive, so I'm skeptical of any lenience in this department). I'll be going for either the Science: Geosciences or the Geosciences (specialized) depending on the response I get back from the program tomorrow (if no preference is given to either during their admissions process, I will go for the specialized for now as from what I can tell it will be easier to pass, and I will add the two general science subtests later when I have more time).

Anyways! On to my question haha. I just started creating a study guide for myself based on the appropriate SMR's and specific subtest descriptions. I see that in each of these documents, specific Science Content Standards are referenced in each domain (which I have found and downloaded from the CDE website). My question is, do I need to give separate consideration to these referenced content standards, or can I ignore them and simply use the SMR and subtest descriptions as comprehensive outlines of all of the information I will need to know? If I understand right, the SMR's are drawn from the content standards.. so would individual attention to each be redundant? Or is there "novel" information referenced in the content standards themselves that may show up on the CSET, that is NOT mentioned on the SMR's/subtest descriptions (outside of the "Earth Sci: Grade 9-12: 9a-b" etc etc citations)? I guess what I'm asking is.. do the cited content standards actually call for information that is not already stated on the SMR's/subtest descriptions, or do they simply echo them?

I don't have a lot of time to study, so I don't want to be redundant, but I also of course want to create a comprehensive study guide. Thank you in advance for any insight anyone can provide! =)

24. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Ah, one more thing. I know that Malcolm (and I believe TeacherGroupie) suggested that for the geoscience subtest III, any California high school Earth Science text would probably be a sufficient resource. Well, I have Tarbuck's Earth Science (11th ed., 2005) on its way to me in the mail. It doesn't explicitly say that's it's a "California edition" or anything, but I do know that it's on the list of suggested resources for Earth and Planetary science on CSET's website. Does that indicate that it's used in CA high schools? If not, would a different textbook perhaps serve me better? I also have Harden's California Geology incoming (2nd ed., 2003), so if one of the main reasons for Malcolm's and TeacherGroupie's suggestion was to ensure that information on CA geology specifically was included, I suppose that should be covered regardless.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2010

Use the SMRs and subtest descriptions as your primary resource, but do look over the Content Standards, since they spell things out a little more fully (and give a better sense of the grades at which particular subject matter may be covered).

The program you're looking at might attempt to steer you in the direction of the credential that includes general science (that is, requiring Subtests I and II), for the eminently practical reason that your job prospects are likely to be better. I think there are fewer openings for teachers who can teach only geology than there are for teachers who can teach geology and general science.

As for the textbooks, it sounds like you're pretty well covered.

26. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Thank you, understood. I went ahead and inserted each content standard where the citations appear on the SMR/subtest descriptions.

As for the books- do you have any inkling as to why a few people, Malcolm included, emphasized that if you're to use an Earth Sci textbook for studying, it should be a California edition? Obviously it's helpful as the content should be alligned with the CSET's, but I got the Tarbuck book from CSET's list of suggested resources instead (which should allign well with the CSET's too, or one would hope!). I'm hoping that was the only reason for the suggestion (and if it was because of CA specific geology, Harden's is incoming so no worries there). I am willing to buy a Glencoe CA edition of an Earth Science book on top of Tarbuck's though, if any of you recommend it.

Does anyone know if Tarbuck's Earth Science is used in California classrooms? How did CSET decide what texts to suggest anyway?

27. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

I have a few study guides about the content standards for the biology and most the geology csets done. Idealist if you want to PM me I can email those to you and maybe you can revise them and send them back to me. My only worry is that they are not detailed enough for me to do a good job on the test.
    I seriously need a California Geology textbook because there is alot of information that is not online. Good luck studying.

28. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

Hey Rorschach, thanks for the offer. I'm taking the geoscience subtest III and IV (and IV is pulled from the geoscience domains covered on the general science subtests I and II). I think I will learn it better if I make my own study guide, but I'd still love to take a look at yours as well. Perhaps instead of revising yours, I could send you mine when it's done? Just let me know, and either way I appreciate it. I'm scared haha.. I really want to pass the Sept. 11th one, but I JUST decided to go for this program so I literally just started studying. We'll see haha. Oh and yes, I bought Harden's California Geology so you may benefit from that section of my guide as well (once I get there... haha).

29. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

You Bet! Two study guides are better than one. PM me and I will send you my study guide. I have been working pretty hard to get it all done and you may be able to use it as a reference.
    Also, I would love to check over yours once you get it done!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2010

And here's A to Z, doing what it does best for people doing their best...

(insert here TeacherGroupie beaming)

31. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

Not so fast TeacherGroupie, perhaps I simply plan to sell Rorschach's guide and refuse to share any of the profit with him... or maybe he'll come back on in a week slamming my guide... "WHAT IS THIS TRASH?", "IT'S SO BAD... I deleted it from my computer, but how do I delete it from my MIND, AAAH". You never know. =P

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2010

Cuuuute, Idealist... though (one eyebrow elegantly raised) not much in keeping with your username, I must say.

33. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2010

:lol: That was funny! I like how your mind works. *shifts eyes*

34. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

Yeah you know, I considered fitting "sarcastic" or "cynical" into my username... CynicalIdealist17? I just didn't think it rolled off the tongue quite the same. =P

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2010

A degree of deviousness is an asset in this line of work, I agree.

It helps with testing, too: "Okay, how ELSE can I figure out the answer to this question...?"

36. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

Idealist I understand your idea for wanting to blackmail me...its just human nature. But its probably a better idea to blackmail someone with a name like "Peachyness" than someone who takes their name after the sadistically violent right wing vigilante Rorschach.
    Either way do you want me study guide or not? I havent recieved a PM and I really want yours...

37. G's Mommy

G's Mommy Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

OMG I'm going out of my mind!!! Can anybody out there help me??? I was a Liberal Studies major and then decided to take over an 8th grade Physical Science class at a charter school and I loved it. So... I finished all my credential classes and passed the cset general science I, but I cannot seem to pass the second one. I'm only having a problem with the Biology part. The funny thing is that I have never and will never teach Biology. I do great on all the parts having to do with the subjects I teach (Physics, Chem. and Astronomy). Does anyone know of a class that I can take to help me pass the test... maybe a crash course???

38. Idealist17

Idealist17 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

Hah, PM sent and advice well taken Rorschach. I didn't know the reference... so hmm, I may be (coincidentally of course!) rethinking my strategy here.

Sorry G's Mommy, I'm not studying for the general science subtests yet (just going for the specialized first) so I can't be of very much help. However, the book Biology by Campbell/Reece has been highly recommended throughout this thread for that portion of subtest 119 if you haven't already been using it.

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2010

G's Mommy, I took the second one in June and passed it. I was also concerned about the biology portion. I am much more into geolgoy and chemistry. I created a website where I posted my thoughts, notes, websites, etc. It might help you. I also watched Khan's academy videos, which REALLY helped.

How did you do on the rest of the 119 test?

40. G's Mommy

G's Mommy Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will look into it. I passed subset I but I took subset II and only did bad on the Bio parts and the written response that had to do with Bio.