CSET Science and Art study guides?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by joehash, May 31, 2009.

1. joehash

joehash New Member

May 31, 2009

I'm planning on taking the CSET for Science (Biology) and Art, but I have a few questions.

First, I can't seem to find any actual guides for the Science CSET or Art CSET. I've looked in bookstores, online, etc, but can't find anything (I did find ONE, but it gets very poor reviews). It seems like they only make guides for Math, English, Multiple Subjects, and Social Science. What guides, if any, did they people around here use? What do you recommend?

My second question goes along with the first. The reason I'm taking Art and Science (which seem unrelated) is for more job options (obviously). I think ideally I would want to be an art teacher (that is what I studied in College, Animation), but in California they are cutting art programs right and left and one art teacher in my area went as far as saying NOT to try for an art position because after she retired they weren't even replacing her.

I know this is a terrible shame, but in my area (central California) this is the reality. Granted, there's still going to be SOME positions, but not many. That's where Science comes in. My second passion is Biology, and I feel that it would be almost as good as art (if not JUST as good). The only problem is, I only took a year of biology and chemistry in college. Now, I know you don't have to major in biology to pass the CSET and even be employed as a Biology teacher, but what is everyone's experience with this? I have been told that some schools want you to have taken a certain number of units (or major in the subject) in order to employ you. Is this true or is it a myth?

I feel that by taking the CSET in Art AND Biology, I would have a greater chance in landing a position. I could either teach art, or teach biology and teach art classes along with that. Any advice is appreciated! Sorry about that long post...

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2009

There's been quite a bit of discussion of CSET Science; CSET Art is somewhat less discussed but has attracted a number of posts.

Malcolm is an A to Z member who has passed an assortment of CSET Science specialty subtests plus the two general science subtests plus the three CSET Math subtests plus either or both of Business and Industrial & Technology Education. He's given advice for CSET Science on a number of threads here; for the sciences, he likes Schaum's outlines in the sciences plus the compendious and wonderfully illustrated Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia.

I trust you've downloaded the study guides from the CSET Web site. Though brief, they are definitive as to what the subtests can and cannot test - and the price is right.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2009

They only test guides I have seen that I consider worth while are from the Orange Country Department of Education. They have them for general science and biology, but not art. There is a lot of boiler plate in them, but they summarize what you need to know fairly accurately. You will need other resources to cover the necessary detail you will need to know to pass the test. My preferred method is to roll my own prep material by starting with the subtest descriptions and referenced California Content Standards and filling in from other print and on-line resources.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2009

joehash, I like the Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia.

Many years ago, I was also contemplating art as a career, but realized, even way back then, that it will probably not be a good idea. I am also in the central valley and where I am at, we have NO music and art teachers. It's very sad indeed. Good luck. I found that taking classes at the local college is REALLY helping me to prepare for the test (plus, I am working on my geology degree). Perhaps you can try to take some evening classes???

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2009

One could also consider the courseware on line through iTunes U - one signs up and lists a method of payment, because it's iTunes, but my understanding is that iTunes U is free.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 1, 2009

I used the Schaum's Guide for Biology and the Cliff Notes Biology Study Solver for the Biology CSET. I also used a Biology AP EXam. For Art try the ART Teacher's Book of List and an AP History of ART EXam book.

8. joehash

joehash New Member

Jun 2, 2009

Thank you for all the responses! I'm looking into those sources right now.

The only other thing I'm wondering... do schools (principals, superintendents) take into account what your degree is in, or has anyone had experience getting a job in something [seemingly] unrelated to their subject? (ie how I am with a degree in art interested in teaching biology)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2009

I suspect it depends on how saturated the market is - and how good you are at selling the schools on the concept that your background equips you to reach kids who think they're turned off by science.