Cset revaluation on construct response. Should I?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Daviid__, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Daviid__

Daviid__ New Member

Jan 14, 2020

I’ve taken the biology portion of the cset 3 times now. I scored 216, 4 points shy of passing.

On the latest try:
    I got +++ on the multiple choice
    And + on the constructed response

But here’s where it gets interesting.

On the constructed responses, there were 3 questions I got 1 checkmark(full credit), 1 S, 1 K/S. I feel like I deserved more than 1 +, at least 2++, especially since I got full credit on one of the 3 questions.

Any advice or opinion from an unbiased standpoint?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 14, 2020

No, it is not worthwhile. The vast majority of re-evaluations result in the same score. The probability of you having your score raised 4 points is almost zero. This is a relatively small sample size, but in my 6 years now on AtoZ, I have only ever seen 1-2 individuals have their score raised from 219 to passing. That was probably only a one-point increase, not four.

The *only* time I ever saw someone have their score raised substantially was because the testing agency didn’t score their free response questions for some reason. After the unscored section was scored, the tester passed and with much higher marks.

In conclusion, I don’t think you should as you will be out of money and be almost certain to obtain the same result.

I hope that helps.

vickilyn likes this.
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2020

Checkmark does NOT mean you got "full credit" for a constructed response question: it means, rather, than that answer didn't fall egregiously short in any three or four parameters (purpose, knowledge, support, and breadth-and-depth where appropriate). (There's a decided difference between getting full credit and not falling egregiously short, as takers of CSET English III and IV keep learning. Those subtests are strictly constructed response. Is it possible to come up short on either while still getting checkmarks on all three or four constructed responses? Believe it.)

The checkmark and p, k, s, d designators are supplied after the fact, to help the test taker make sense of the overall numerical score (which is what matters for passing). Plus marks are distributed on a scale from + to to ++++, and my educated guess is that each plus mark corresponds to a quartile of available points. Your + would land you in the first quartile, and it's possible that the people assigning the p, k, s, d, checkmark designators were being generous. But again: what matters is points, not letters or checkmarks.

Your response diagnostics show no p's, which means you're at least adequately getting the point of the question. But you're coming up short in supporting your answer on two out of three (that's s), and in showing that you actually know what you're talking about on the third (that's k).

When you write your constructed responses, whom do you have in mind as audience?

futuremathsprof likes this.