CSET Results are out- I passed the part III( Biology)!!!!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Poo, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Poo

Poo Guest

Aug 15, 2005

Hi Everyone,

Just saw the result - yes I passed the CSET single subject subtest III ( Life Sciences/Biology) :) - I took this test in July !!! I am so happy...I am done with all the three subtests & the CBEST as well :).

Now the next step is to clear the US Constitution exam.

Thanks Cbickely, Teachergroupie and others for your help & wishes :thanks: !!

Good luck to all.

Poo

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 16, 2005

Bravo, Poo!

4. cbickley

cbickley Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

Excellent! It sure feels good to have that out of the way! Best of luck for the future!

5. wife3kids

wife3kids Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

Congratulations!

Congrats on passing :) I am scheduled to take subtest III in November. Now that you've taken it and passed it, would you mind sharing your thoughts :confused: I'm really nervous and would like to be well prepared so that I pass it the first time. I've taken I (passed) and II (waiting for results). What study materials did you use and which did you feel were the most useful? I'd appreciate all the info you can provide :thanks:

6. Poo

Poo Guest

Sep 23, 2005

best wishes

First of all I want to wish you luck for your result & for the next exam !

I can very well understand your nervousness since I have been there- but trust me, with proper study and thorough understanding of the subject, you can pass the exams.

Since you've already passed the GS I and have written the part II, I can safely assume that you know the syllabus well. I would suggest you to go through the Subject Matter Requirements document on the Web page for CSET Biology...it is very helpful. I made a list of all major topics listed on the website and studied them thoroughly. I remember there was a lot of emphasis on Genetics & Evolution- so prepare them well- study every minute detail, specially topics like Plant engineering, eugenics, Recombinant DNA Technology. Under Evolution, pay extra attention to Hardy Weinberg equilibrium and taxonomy .

I found Reece & Campbell's Biology book very very informative & helpful. I feel it covers everything listed on the CSET website. Besides this I bought Cliff's biology- this comprehensive book is useful for practise tests.

Hope this helps !

Poo

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 23, 2005

Good to hear from you, Poo, and thanks for sharing your hard-won expertise with wife3kids.

If you haven't cleared the US Constitution exam yet, you might want to have a look in the CSET - Multiple Subjects forum: there's a thread on the exam that could help.

In your post you mentioned eugenics. Is that eugenics as in William Shockley and racial bell curves and all that (ick!!), or has the term acquired a more benign meaning in biology while I wasn't looking?

8. Poo

Poo Guest

Sep 23, 2005

Hi Teachergroupie,

Thanks for your help- Yes, I saw the thread and found it quite useful.

Now about Eugenics- as per my knowledge, Eugenics is a social philosophy that deals with the improvement of hereditary qualities of a race. The term "eugenics" was first used by Sir Francis Galton in 1883
    and his definition of eugenics was:"the science which deals with all influences that improve the inborn qualities of a race; also
    with those that develop them to the utmost advantage."

In a broader sense, eugenics can be a study of "improving desirable human traits". The idea of selecting and improving human genetic qualities is Eugenic Engineering. It's main aim is to improve the gene pool, create superhumans, conserve society resources, reduce human suffering and health problems.

Hope this helps.

Poo

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 24, 2005

Yup, that sounds like Shockley, all right. If memory serves, he was a Nobel laureate in physics for his work with semiconductors (which helped lead to today's computers) - but then he began braying about some supposed correlation between whiteness and intelligence and imploring Anglo-Saxons to breed pure (and copiously) or else risk the end of Civilization As We Know It. As though Civilization As We Know It were (a) always and unadulteratedly a very good thing and (b) exclusively attributable to the superiority of whites. On which topic, see Jared Diamond's GUNS, GERMS, AND STEEL, in which he attributes the dominance of Western civilization not to whiteness but to pure dumb luck in geography, resources, and domesticable animals.

10. KRISI

KRISI Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

Please help

Hi Poo,
    congratulations on passing all the 3 subsets. I am planning on taking the tests in Jan. Please advise on any books for General Science subsets 1 & 2 and also Biology. What is a good way to study? How much time did you spend on preparing? Is it a good idea to attempt all the 3 subsets in one go or to space it out? I have been preparing for biology for some time.Any advise on books or good website will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Krisi
    QUOTE=Poo]Hi Everyone,

Just saw the result - yes I passed the CSET single subject subtest III ( Life Sciences/Biology) :) - I took this test in July !!! I am so happy...I am done with all the three subtests & the CBEST as well :).

Now the next step is to clear the US Constitution exam.

Thanks Cbickely, Teachergroupie and others for your help & wishes :thanks: !!

Good luck to all.

Poo[/QUOTE]

11. KRISI

KRISI Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

Help

Hi,
    What books did you use for Subset 1? Can you please share your advise with me?

Krisi

12. KRISI

KRISI Rookie

Sep 29, 2005

Hi Poo,
    congratulations on passing all the 3 subsets. I am planning on taking the tests in Jan. Please advise on any books for General Science subsets 1 & 2 and also Biology. What is a good way to study? How much time did you spend on preparing? Is it a good idea to attempt all the 3 subsets in one go or to space it out? I have been preparing for biology for some time.Any advise on books or good website will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Krisi

13. KRISI

KRISI Rookie

Sep 29, 2005

Hi,
    What books did you use for Subset 1? Can you please share your advise with me?

Krisi

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2005

As a supplement to the books on the Web site, try THE USBORNE ILLUSTRATED DICTIONARY OF SCIENCE (0-7945-0064 in paper), which has good visuals. If you haven't downloaded the Subject Matter Requirements document from the CSET Web site, do so, and use it as a shopping list of terms to look up on the Internet. You'll probably get better visual reinforcement of general science on the Web than you will out of most textbooks. Other resources have been mentioned on various threads in this forum: you might want to do some searches here too.

15. wife3kids

wife3kids Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

Study, study, study

KRISI,

What I primarily used to study for I & II was the following website http://www.specialedprep.net/CalifContentStandardsGenSci.htm. I found it very helpful. Unfortunately, the link for III is no longer valid. However, several people including Poo and TeacherGroupie have been helpful in their suggestions for study materials for that subtest. Read some of the other threads and try out their suggestions too.

Good Luck :)

wife3kids
    :D

16. KRISI

KRISI Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

Thank you wife3kids and Teachergroupie for your response. I am so nervous about these exams.There is so much to cover, especially since it's been a while I took any formal courses.

Krisi

17. wife3kids

wife3kids Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

Thank you

Thanks for your help. :) I really appreciate you sharing and I will definitely take a look at the materials you suggested. Also, thanks for the heads up on what to pay particular attention to. If there is anything else you'd like to share as you remember it - I'd really appreciate it :D

By the way...how are you studying for the US Constitution Exam?

Thanks again!
    wife3kids

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 3, 2005

This week's SURFING THE NET WITH KIDS (http://www.surfnetkids.com) focuses on physics - I haven't checked out the sites, but Barbara Feldman's taste tends to be pretty good. Have a look at

A Century of Physics, http://timeline.aps.org, an illustrated physics timeline that shows events on the cosmic, human, atomic scale, living world, and technology timelines. I may check it out tonight.

Fear of Physics, http://www.fearofphysics.com/, makes you pay for homework help, but other parts of the site let you play with physics for free.

Physics.org, http://www.physics org/, is, says Feldman, "a specialized phusics search engine and multimedia playground showing physics in everyday items." You enter your age and level of sophistication in physics, and off you go. Sounds like my kind of playground...

As for the US Constitution exam, there's a thread on that buried in the CSET - Multiple Subjects subforum, and you may find some useful resources there.

19. nandita G

nandita G Rookie

Oct 6, 2005

Hi, I need some advice and sugessations,can somebody prepare and pass the CSET Science I and II (GS 118 1nd 119) in 20 days time? I paln to give these exams but have not preapred for it yet and waiting for the results of CSET Biology III and IV. So. what do you think I should do? Please help.....

Thanks
    Nandita

20. Poo

Poo Guest

Oct 7, 2005

Hi Nandita,

In my opinion, I think the part I is pretty easy ...one can easily prepare for the GS -I in 2 weeks, ofcourse you need to study daily with full sincerity. I have noticed one thing in the CSET exams, that they gradually become harder...like I found the part I quite easy...then the GS II was slightly more difficult than the GS-I and the third part was the hardest...this was my experience.

All I can say is if I were you, I would have focused on the part I now, and then write the part II separately. But it differs from person to person, you can go through the syllabus and if you feel confident about it, you can try writing both parts in one go. One good thing about your case is that you have already written the Part III( which according to me was the hardest), so I can safely assume that you know excatly what to study.....and another good thing is that many topics of the part II & III are common.....so may be you just need to refresh your memory...you don't have to go through every minute detail. If you remember the concepts of part III, then it won't be hard for you to prepare for the part II, since you already know most of the stuff.

So, it is not impossible to take both tests at a time, but yes, it will require an extra effort and hard work.

Wish you good luck for your result !!

Poo

21. nandita G

nandita G Rookie

Oct 7, 2005

Thanks a lot Poo for your suggesstion and good wishes...I wil wait for the results before I decide anything and will keep you informed.

Thanks
    Nandita

22. pcstagg

pcstagg New Member

Jun 30, 2006

Reece & Campbell's Biology book

Was the book hardbound or softbound, and what edition was it, please?

23. pcstagg

pcstagg New Member

Jun 30, 2006

Test Prep for Bio

Is there any prep class that I could attend before July 22nd?

PC

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 30, 2006

Where are you located, roughly? You can pm me if you prefer.