CSET Prelim Ed Tech

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by HotMathTeacher, Mar 3, 2006.

1. HotMathTeacher

HotMathTeacher Rookie

Mar 3, 2006

I just passed the Preliminary Educational Technology Subtest 133 & 134. Im not sure anyone has mentioned these tests before. Just letting you know that I am willing to share my experience of the types of questions asked on those particular tests.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2006

Please post as much as you can tell us about these. Others are going to have to take these as well. Just be sure not to divulge actual questions.

4. why_me

why_me Rookie

Mar 3, 2006

Yes, I have several questions about the subtests. How long was the test? Any info would be greatly appreciated. You can also email me.

Thanks

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 4, 2006

There's a great deal to be said for sharing questions here. Hint, hint.

6. HotMathTeacher

HotMathTeacher Rookie

Mar 4, 2006

Haha, I was trying to post information yesterday, but my computer was having problems. Okay, here we go. The first subtest, #133, had at least 60 questions. But don'et that discourage you. The questions were not that difficult. Now, because I understand that difficulty is subjective, here is more information. If you handle a computer, utilizing programs (like Word, Excel, and Access), browse the web, and know how to troubleshoot (minor problems) [like creating more hard disk drive space, defragmenting your hard drive, and investigate cd-rom problems], then you will be fine without studying. For example, if you can answer the question of what the print preview function does, you will be fine. (= Other questions can be solved with a little common sense and reasoning.

The #134 test was a little more challenging. Only because the questions had a lot to do with copyright rules concerning the internet and copying information for the classroom. I did not study any of these aspects asked for on the CSET and still passed. Sorry I can't help you guys out much here, but download the subtest description and subtest sample questions (found here:http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS_testguide_PETopener.asp. Now, luckily for everyone who needs to take the test, pay dire attention to the sample essay questions. I had a question that was word-for-word the same as in the sample question.

Now, since I cannot mimic the exact essay questions, here is my modified essay questions:

For #133 - 1) Understand what a search engine is. Then be confident in describing an example of a search.

2) Do yourself a favor and create a bar graph using a spreadsheet program. Remember the steps (=

For #134 - 1) Look carefully at the sample essay questions. Look really carefully!

I am a uber dork, so I dont study any books before the test. But for those that have to have a book as reference, here is what I recommend: Microsoft Excel for Dummies by Greg Harvey & Access 2000 for Windows for Dummies by John Kaufeld. I will be posting up a lot of other stuff to help out, things I wish that I had before I took that test. Good luck, and I will offer any help that is asked.

N

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2006

Thank you very much for your insight!

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2006

It seems to me I came across a document from CTC or CDE that covers all the legal issues involving technology some time ago. I will try to find it and post a link to it here.

9. HotMathTeacher

HotMathTeacher Rookie

Mar 8, 2006

*Note to fellow teachers: Fair use policy/copyright information is tested on CSET Prelim Ed Tech 134*

I was also looking for resources on some technological legal issues; I have finally found it. Unfortunately, the web site given at teaching orientation (from CSUF) requires that you register with their web site. If you have a problem with that, email me and I will send you the .pdf via email. If you don't have a problem, here is the site: http://www.techlearning.com After you register, the initial page that it leads you to will contain two copyright guideline .pdf's. The second .pdf file is the one I have, and yes, the information on the Video, Music, Computer software, and Internet section was needed for the CSET tests.

Hopefully this helps. Moreover, CSUF stated that if more information was needed about fair use giudelines and copyright resources, we should go to: http://www.halldavidson.net/. I will look for more info, and as always, post anything that I recall was on the test.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2006

Hm... if there isn't something about copyright on the Library of Congress Web site, which at one point was http://www.loc.gov and at another was http://www.libraryofcongress.gov, I would be surprised. (The Library of Congress is, after all, the US's copyright depository of record.) And I'd expect most university libraries to have something available without registering as well.

11. HotMathTeacher

HotMathTeacher Rookie

Mar 9, 2006

As long as it concerns education, then the information is relevant. I just promote that the information that should be known for the CSET test is minimal when compared to the "BIG" copyright laws. I just do not want any test takers to think that they need to be very knowledgeable and have a huge background in copyright laws in order to be successful on this test; therefore, I recommended the simplest resources that I can find, and both those websites offer a quick and dirty study guide for fair use laws.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2006

Makes sense. And I was just offering another option for those who don't want to register.

13. 4ever

4ever New Member

Mar 10, 2006

What is the difference between the Preliminary Educational Technology and the Industrial and Technology Education? Is it right that the Preliminary Educational Technology is for teachers who hold the preliminary credential and the other one is for the clear credentialed teachers?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2006

CSET Preliminary Ed Tech is for prospective teachers who won't be specifically teaching computer ed to show that they know enough about computers to be able to teach elementary word processing and applications as one would to one's students in elementary school. I suspect that it would be possible to take a class instead, but don't quote me on that.

CSET Industrial and Technology Ed is a single subject exam for those who wish to teach computer and shop classes in middle school or high school. It's not your problem if you're going for a multiple subject credential.

Feeling better now?

15. DeagleBeagle

DeagleBeagle New Member

Apr 8, 2017

I hate to reopen an old thread, but this is literally the only place that has non-official information about Subtests 133 and 134. There are ZERO books on studying specifically for these exams as far as I can tell. I also need to reopen it because I am looking for updated information as to of what are the best study materials currently for this exam (besides the practice tests already online). I am looking for specific book titles to test out of this Educational Technology class I otherwise would have to take.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2017

Find a list of books required or recommended for the course and get access to the key ones - if you can't get to the university library, chances are good you can find used editions of the books online for not too much money.

17. DeagleBeagle

DeagleBeagle New Member

Apr 14, 2017

It is weird, but apparently the teacher does not use a book for the class. The internet has zero books on this subtest yet it is a required class. I am asking the professor for some powerpoints, but I am feeling he may lack those or not want to give them out without me taking the class.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2017

Several possibilities:

- See if any of the local community colleges teaches a course that can be substituted for this test, and check their bookstores for materials.

- The General Information doc for a CSET usually includes a list of books. In the case of CSET PET, they may be out of date - but if you search for them on Amazon or B&N you're likely to see updated editions and other possibilities that are a bit more timely.

- Rummage around on the blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com. Richard Byrne posts daily; some of his posts showcase types of technology that teachers can use, others showcase technology that students can use, still others convey content in interesting ways, and a few delve into issues (privacy and plagiarism) and, for lack of a better term, the philosophy of educational technology. Byrne has several posts on helping students search the web more effectively, and some of the tips may help you.

- Using the Subject Matter Requirements doc for CSET Preliminary Education Technology as a checklist and the practice questions as further sources of concepts to know and terms to look up.

- As you come across terms in books or on the web, look them up to ensure that each means what you think it means; in addition, as you use whatever device you use to access A to Z and other things on the web, talk to yourself using the terminology.

19. DeagleBeagle

DeagleBeagle New Member

Apr 15, 2017

ctcexams.nesinc dot (COMM) /PDF/CSET_Prep/CS_PET_geninfo .pdf You're right I did not see this at first. These are some good resources listed on the official website.