CSET Physics test preparation

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by bdd, May 2, 2012.

1. bdd

bdd Rookie

May 2, 2012

I received the Orange County Department of Education Physics book.... however, I received it and it is preparation for "General Science Physics Subtest I".

I already took Science Subtests I and II (118 & 119) and plan to take Subtest III: Physics 123 this Saturday.

Question: Should I bother looking through the large OCDE Physics book? Or should I just stick to the recommended College Physics prep books (in other posts)?

Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2012

If the OCDE book is focused on physics, then it's probably still a good idea to look through. I think you're likely to get more mileage from the physics books, however.

4. SAF

SAF New Member

Apr 15, 2013

Hi

I am planning to take the CSET Physics III on May 4, 2013. Can you recommend me any study guide for this exams? thanks

5. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Apr 16, 2013

You pulled up a thread that's close to a year old so I doubt the original guy would reply to you. I recently took the CSET Physics so I can lend some help.

My background: I took two years of AP Physics in high school and one semester in college. This is like 10-15 years ago.

First thing I did was review the basics at UCI's free online course: http://ocw.uci.edu/courses/?cat=5

Check out Force & Motion, Optics & Waves, Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics. I would like to reiterate that these concepts are VERY basic but are a good refresher.

Then I went on to Khan Academy and watched ALL their physics video. Khan is relatively thorough on covering most of the major concepts you will be tested on. Off the top of my head, the topics he didn't cover too well are Pendulums & the Standard Model. Everything else is pretty good.

I was able to pass the test only using Khan even though I bought a college level physics textbook as well. Supplement your studies with this if you still feel lost after watching the Khan videos.

I failed my 1st attempt because I kind of half assed the Khan videos. I didn't really pay too much attention and skipped some videos. 2nd time around, I reviewed every video and made absolutely sure I understood it and I passed. Actually, some of the exact problems presented in the Khan videos appeared on the test.

6. SAF

SAF New Member

Apr 25, 2013

I just so the posting. Thank you so much for sharing. I will look for the Khan A. videos.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2013

8. bdd

bdd Rookie

May 2, 2013

The UCI Physics book was specifically made for the physics subsection in general science cset tests, not the physics credential authorization.

I'd have to agree with others--use a college-level Physics book for review. It wasn't so bad of a test, if my memory serves me right. The practice exam on the CSET website was very helpful. Good luck!

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 6, 2013

Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt might be good. Also check out Dr, Norm Herr. His website offers several resources for CSET Physics.