CSET Physical Education Subtest III - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by skuss40, Mar 10, 2018.

1. skuss40

skuss40 New Member

Mar 10, 2018

Hey all,

I just got a crushing blow yesterday, 214 on my subtest III of the CSET PE. This was my fifth time taking the exam. Other scores were 213, 202, 205, and 148 (i was deathly ill) FIVE!!!!! I don't know where to go or what to do. Please help, if anyone can tutor I will be so accepting of any help.

I got ++++ on the written essay so I'm not too concerned about that, it's the ++ on the multiple choice questions that is killing me.

Please help!

-Stewart

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2018

Hugs, skuss40.

How are you generally as a taker of multiple choice tests?

What's your background in PE? (Be creative here.)

4. skuss40

skuss40 New Member

Mar 10, 2018

I thought I was excellent — I passed subtest 1 and 2 both on my second try.

I’ve taught PE k-6 and also coached high school basketball

I need exact study material to pass the exam. Any input?

Ryanb and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 11, 2018

The bad news is also the good news: you're coming quite close to passing. But the fact that you're not quite passing suggests that you're missing some concepts that lie between or beyond the realm of K-6 movement-and-games on the one hand and high-school athletics on the other.

CSET PE Subtest III consists of two domains (I'm pointing this out partly to remind myself):

1. Professional Foundations
    Philosophies of PE; Historical Development of PE; Current Research, Trends, and Issues in PE; Legal & Ethical Issues; Subdisciplines of Kinesiology; Professional Responsibilities, Organizations & Resources

2. Integration of Concepts
    Interpretation and Application of the Subdisciplines of Kinesiology; Selecting, Adapting, and Modifying Activities; Developmental Progressions; Learning Concepts and Principles; Connections Between Physical Education and Other Disciplines ​

The constructed response, is in Integration of Concepts, which also accounts for 3/5 of available raw multiple-choice points. I'll guess that you got less than ++++ in Integration of Concepts multiple choice (because if you'd done as well there as you did with the constructed response, you should have collected enough scaled points to pass).

Let me recommend, if you haven't already paged through it, downloading and working through the California physical education framework, which fleshes out the content standards: you can find it via the Curriculum and Instruction tab on the www.cde.ca.gov homepage. Pay attention to what is said about PE for populations with which you haven't worked in the past. Then make up your own questions that involve those populations.

If you're weak on kinesiology, Wikipedia may be helpful.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 20, 2018

Skuss40-
    I hear you and feel the crushing blow you refer to. I have not past due to my constructed responses, but when I read the multiple choice there are 2 answers that are easy to rule out. Then, I go back and reread the question and try to find the one that best answers the question. This has proven to be difficult because sometimes I can easily argue the other answer is correct, but I've done ok on the MC and I'd like to think that is why. Hope that helps.

7. skuss40

skuss40 New Member

Mar 28, 2018

Hi D. Nickelson,
    What were your scores on the multiple choice? And what are you struggling with on the essay? Maybe we can help each other out. I'm taking my exam in 13 days again

8. gcain

gcain New Member

Jul 10, 2018

Have you taken it again ? I have failed it three times and also need help !

9. gcain

gcain New Member

Jul 10, 2018

I read the PE framwork and it looks nothing like the test

10. ccmoreno11

ccmoreno11 Rookie

Jul 30, 2018

I am in the same boat as you. I have failed it 3 times. i do great on the essay as well but every single time i have recieved 2 stars on the professional foundation part of the exam. I always score above 200 so i feel im only missing a few questions. What study material do you have already?

11. Harperc2013

Harperc2013 New Member

Nov 25, 2018

Hey Everyone,
    I am taking the CSET number #2 test and got 215 the last time. I did terrible on the constructed response. I am looking for any advice for study material for the test.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 26, 2018

Hugs, Harper. What do your diagnostic indicators say? That is, what are you seeing by way of pluses and p, k, s, d, or checkmark?

13. Lorenzo Perez

Lorenzo Perez New Member

Jan 12, 2019

What did you guys use to study? I passed subtest 1 on first try but took subtest 3 and failed twice already. Theres not much to study from. I coach baseball and I got a baseball throwing motion essay and got a 1. I used motor learning terminology and learning cues and I got a 1. I don't have a clue why. Its the essay on the 3 students performing the skill. The first time I took it I didn't even have time to do the essay and I got a better score than when I wrote like 200 words over the word count.

14. Lorenzo Perez

Lorenzo Perez New Member

Jan 12, 2019

Me too. I didn't pass subtest III. I got a +++ multiple choice and a + on essay. What is important in Subtest III essay? I got a baseball throwing motion video and left the testing site feeling amazing but I got a +. Tips?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2019

What else came with your +? p, k, s, d, checkmark?

16. Lorenzo Perez

Lorenzo Perez New Member

Jan 13, 2019

k

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2019

That's an unusual combination: with the +, I'd have expected another letter or two. In rough terms, a p indicates a response that falls short of answering the question; an s indicates a response that is insufficiently backed up by reasoning based on the principles of PE and/or evidence from the video; a d indicates a response that doesn't go into enough detail and/or doesn't connect enough with other knowledge in the discipline. That you got k suggests to me that your response either didn't include enough technical terminology and professional phrasing or that some technical terms were misused in ways that damage the response's credibility. (A novel about Los Angeles that refers to slip roads rather than offramps is making one kind of k error; if it has a driver transition from the 210 directly to the 60, it's making a different k error.)

Let me point out that CSET PE constructed responses aren't essays. It's not necessary to introduce or conclude the way one introduces and concludes a CBEST essay, and the scorers don't care about correct sentence grammar or mechanics. What is important is to write for fellow professionals in PE.

18. ccmoreno11

ccmoreno11 Rookie

Jan 14, 2019

I used the metrix study book. the hardest part for me was the multiple choice. I failed test 3 four times and finally passed it on my 5th try. Every time i struglled with the multiple choice and got 3* on the essay. My adivice would be not to tryn and overthink the essay. Make usre you answering what level the students are performing under (beginner, intermediate expert) and answere the three questions for each student. make sure to point out the one thing that they are struggling with and one thing that can help them improve. my essays were usually long just because i wanted to be detailed as possible.

99 percent likes this.
  19. cuno1978

cuno1978 Rookie

Jan 14, 2019

Hello

So I'm on the same boat with y'all. I passed the first 2 with ease but unsuccessful with subtest 3. Just got my results on Saturday. It was my 3rd time taking it and received a 189. I actually dropped in the score because my short answer was not strong enough. I'm reading through the posts and received some good info on what to look for. I need to take a different approach since the one I've taken sucks. What I've noticed from the tests is that a lot of the MC questions are questions that deal by having some type of experience in the field.
    I've never been a strong MC test taker. I tend to overthink and change my answer.
    Any type of information would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks

20. doug paganelli

doug paganelli New Member

Jan 14, 2019

Ahhh. 214 that hurts! I’m having trouble with subset 2. Failed for the 4th time. This time I passed the written but went backwards in the multiple choice! I can hear your frustration as it seems that nobody wants to give any specific assistance. Everyone gives general info like study guides or asks more questions! If you have any specific tips for subset 2 especially for the multiple choice I would be grateful. I passed 1 and 3 first time. I might be able to help with 3 for you.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2019

Hugs, doug paganelli. But thanks for offering to help with Subtest III! And may you find that helping with III helps you with II.

This thread is on Subtest III, so I'll deal with your Subtest II questions on one of the other CSET PE threads.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2019

A gentle reminder: please don't post actual specific test questions. Test companies get tetchy about that, and they can and do go after test takers.

23. kemerson26

kemerson26 New Member

Jan 17, 2019

I am taking the PE subset III test after failing twice. For the multiple choice does any have a prep system that they feel covers the material? please advise...

24. willkoalyn

willkoalyn New Member

Jan 27, 2019

I really need help with subtest 2. I have also failed it 4x..

25. cuno1978

cuno1978 Rookie

Jan 31, 2019

that's where i'm also having trouble in. The multiple choice is brutal and i'm not sure what else to do in studying for that. I have failed it 4 times.

26. kemerson26

kemerson26 New Member

Feb 6, 2019

HI, I seem to be lacking in the writing of the PE Subset 3 test. Can anyone share with me the format they used that worked well? I did not recommend any modifications or accommodations in my last written part. Is that the problem? I received a (*) and advice on the structure and what to include?

kemerson026@gmail.com

99 percent likes this.
  27. ashley_tob

ashley_tob New Member

Mar 6, 2019

Hello,

I'm reading through this thread and I'm getting nervous for my test. It will be the first time I am taking it. I am taking just SUB TEST 2 first. Can anyone give me some pointers for subtest 2? specifically the essay portion.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  28. ashley_tob

ashley_tob New Member

Mar 6, 2019

Do you have any pointers for the second subtest? I see you said you passed that one right away.

I would appreciate it. Thank you!

29. Ryanb

Ryanb New Member

Mar 10, 2019

I have a very similar story. I have been a personal trainer and coach for 10 years very up to date on all the new science etc. bachelors in kinesiology. I passed my subtest 1&2 on my second try. And I recently just received a 208 for the 3rd time on my subtest 3. I need help as well. The books I have to study almost seem unrelevant to specifically subtest 3

99 percent likes this.
  30. Ryanb

Ryanb New Member

Mar 10, 2019

I am in the exact same situation. Subtest 3 I can not pass.

99 percent likes this.
  31. ashley_tob

ashley_tob New Member

Mar 11, 2019

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2019

With the exception of CSET Writing (which isn't your problem) and possibly CSET English Subtest III, CSET written responses are not essays. Essays have introductions and conclusions and pretty prose. CSET PE constructed responses should show the reader who knows PE that the writer also knows PE - they should sport a good selection of technical terms of PE that are appropriate to the question and relatively few technical terms that are off topic. Think about a sport - or for that matter any other activity of human life - that you know well, and think about how you can tell that someone else discussing it really doesn't have a clue: the technical terms will be misused, and often there will be the sort of syntactic floundering that results when someone is attempting, frankly, to BS badly - to fake an answer but without having a theoretical foundation to base it on. (Having a solid theoretical foundation can still mean that one has to BS, but the quality of the BS should be much higher.)

A successful CSET PE response should be formatted like a formal essay only if that's the way the test taker's mind works when left to its own devices. A workable format is to lead with one's brief answer to the overall question posed, then support that answer point by point, with reference to principles of the field and/or the video as appropriate. Bullet-listing one's points is a fine idea. Using the technical terminology of kinesiology and the other subdisciplines of PE (especially the subdisciplines mentioned in the question!) is vital.

As for preparation, let me recommend something like this: Find a video of a physical activity that you don't think of as PE - say, chopping logs, or trying to control an umbrella on a windy day. Using the model question in the online CSET PE III study guide, substitute that activity in for whatever the question specifies. Answer the question off the top of your head, in something like the timeframe you expect on the test. Then do research - use your notes/flashcards and look up terms on the internet - to see what you said wrong or what else you should have mentioned. Rewrite your response. A day later, see if you can rewrite it again from memory. Then "rinse and repeat", as they say, with another activity. Want to get off-color with your choice of activity? Be my guest. But the point is to be applying the terminology you're expected to know to describe novel situations, because that's what you're going to need to do on the test - and in the field.

33. 99 percent

99 percent Rookie

May 4, 2019

I have passed the CSET PE subtest 1 and 2 and need help with subtest 3's constructed response. My latest score was 202, professional foundations +++ and integrated concepts +++, but constructed response was +, with s,d.
    I watched the video
    I pointed out some things each student did right and wrong (strengths and weaknesses)
    I used A LOT of biomechanical terminology, such as balance, force, range of motion, etc
    I gave several improvement techniques for each student

What am I missing?

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 4, 2019

The "s" designator is for support: given this type of prompt, it's possible that you weren't citing enough specifics from the video to support either your diagnosis or your improvements or both, or that you weren't citing enough principles from the domains of PE to justify your diagnosis or your improvements or both, or, um, both. The "d" designator indicates that your response lacked breadth and depth: it was on the right track but didn't go far enough.

The Subtest III domain to which the constructed response belongs is explicitly labeled "Integration of Concepts" - that is, one is supposed to draw on all of the disciplines of PE, including ones that are covered in other subtests. You've mentioned the biomechanical terminology you used, but you might want to rethink the question from the point of view of those other domains: could you have brought in terminology and principles that are more associated with them? (For instance, correct terminology for the activity under review ties into the Subtest II domain "Movement Concepts and Forms".) If you're explicitly naming biomechanics, it's also possible that you're not taking advantage of some useful distinctions (kinetics vs. kinematics, for instance), either by ignoring them or by lumping together as biomechanics some phenomena that can usefully be considered separately.

35. 99 percent

99 percent Rookie

May 7, 2019

I have taken PE subtest 3 several times, all with similar scores in the low 200's. The highest being 214. The more I focused on the written response, the lower my score was. As was the case this April. I passed subtest 2 recently with a score on the written response of ++++ without spending a lot of time worrying about it.

For the MC's, I recommend making a long list of definitions and concepts you are unfamiliar with and memorize them. The California Framework is a good resource to review several times. It is also free, on the internet. Don't waste your money on Amazon's products, as I made the same mistake, wasting time, and money.

The sample written response we are given for subtest 3 is not a detailed biomechanical analysis. It does not go into great detail about the movement of specific body parts or the physics involved. It is more of a basic movement description of children doing an activity. Also, they do not incorporate any of the psychological, motivational or sociological aspects in the sample response, which would be part of an integration of all concepts. Am I wrong?

Given the number of times I have sat for the exam, I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect on the constructed response. I am putting together outlines of similar activities from the perspective of a basic movement analysis, along with strategies for improvement. Has anyone tried this technique with success? Has anyone attempted to use the sample response as a backdrop and filled in the blanks for the specific activity? Anyone willing to offer advice? Desperate for help.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 7, 2019

That sounds like a good approach, 99 percent.

If you're writing as you would for parents or students, try writing instead for fellow professionals - perhaps jotting down quick notes to show a kindly PE-teacher mentor that you're ready to play/teach in the big leagues.

37. cuno1978

cuno1978 Rookie

May 7, 2019

Hello,
    What can you help out with subtest 3?

38. football1845

football1845 New Member

Oct 19, 2019

Hello Everyone,

I just received my results for the last round of testing last month and failed subtest 3 with a 190. I thought I did really well on it but I guess I did not. My essay got one star and a K but I thought I wrote it like the sample essay on the CSET website. I passed the other tests without any problems. I got two stars on both of the multiple choice sections. I just was wondering if anyone who said they failed it on here passed and has some more tips from what they did that worked. Thank you.

39. football1845

football1845 New Member

Oct 29, 2019

"Given the number of times I have sat for the exam, I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect on the constructed response. I am putting together outlines of similar activities from the perspective of a basic movement analysis, along with strategies for improvement. Has anyone tried this technique with success? Has anyone attempted to use the sample response as a backdrop and filled in the blanks for the specific activity? Anyone willing to offer advice? Desperate for help.[/QUOTE]" 99percent

Did you end up passing subtest 3? I am trying to study everything for it and usually use quizlet for part of that but it seems geared toward the multiple subject pe section not the ones for our subtests.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2019

Congratulations on passing Subtests I and II, football1845! Let me recommend pulling skills and knowledge from them into Subtest III. The constructed response in Subtest III is an extended response, yes - but I'd hesitate to call it an "essay", because it doesn't need to have the classic introduction and conclusion or the pretty prose with correct mechanics. Instead, it's an opportunity to pull together everything you know about physical development and body mechanics and kinesiology and PE teaching methodology and more to analyze what's happening in the video and come up with a plan to remedy it. Use the technical terms of PE as the insider's jargon they are: you want to come across as an insider.