CSET Nov. 3 & Math Qs

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by jazzminjoy, Oct 31, 2007.

1. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Oct 31, 2007

All of you who are taking it--how is the studying going?

Due to the fires, there is a location change in San Diego.

For Math Subtest II, are there tables provided to answer the statistics questions?

Is it possible to do the test without a calculator?

What TI-83 statistics functions should one be comfortable with?

Happy Halloween.
    Did you feel the quake yesterday? I did.
    Ramble, ramble, procrastinate. :rolleyes:
    Guess I need a break. :)
    Where's the usually flurry of posts just before the test?
    Some comments--anything--please. Thanks.
    I get to reward myself with the board after so much studying.

School tonight--I don't get to take my younger child trick-or-treating (the neighbor will) or give my older one a ride home from College Night (open house / information / reps from colleges). Sigh. Her new hope is CalTech, but she'll "settle" for UC Berkeley (go Bears!) or Stanford ;).

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2007

If Malcolm or innovationguy say differently, believe them... but:

Can't vouch for the tables; it could be that that's why you need the TI-83.

What quake??

Wednesday's still relatively early before the November test date, I think.

Good for you for studying!

Has your older one looked at Harvey Mudd or one of the other Claremont Colleges?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2007

5. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Nov 2, 2007

You'll want the calculator - you can probably live without it but it will just help you so use one if you can.

As for stats functions - it depends on the type of question you get but I know that when I took the test, you needed to do a regression and with the calculator the question took about 10 minutes...would've been much more difficult w/o the calculator.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2007

Thanks for posting this, UCLACareerChngr.

7. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Nov 2, 2007

Was occupied at Parent-Teacher Conferences yesterday! Here are the only TI 83+ commands one needs to be familiar with...

VITAL Tip 1! For trigonometry, insure that the MODE is Degrees [MODE is on the top row.]

VITAL Tip 2! For Statistics, when the TIs are in their natural state [what the devil?!], the correlation coefficient, r shan't be displayed when the STAT -> CALC -> LingReg: Option 8 command is used. One needs to enable it, thus: 2nd+0 [CATALOG] -> (Scroll down to) Diagnostic On -> ENTER -> ENTER.

For Statistics, tables are provided for the Normal and Chi-Square distributions. At times, only the relevant "excerpts" are provided...which ought to suffice.

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2007

Thank you, Jay.

9. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Nov 3, 2007

Thank you Jay, TG, and UCLA Career Changer!

The worst part of the test last time was getting to and from the site (even though I had been there for the 3 Multiple Subject CSETs). I missed a turn and wound up taking narrow, curvy, big-drop-into-water delta roads most of the way. Yuck. So, I just spent an hour with Mapquest and handwriting directions and tricky intersections and making maps. Printer's not working. Should have been studying instead.

I'll have my daughter look into the other colleges mentioned.

Everything is starting to blur. I think I should have changed the test date to Jan, but it was 1/2 hr. after the change deadline when I remembered.

Got to get ready to leave. TTFN.
    Michele

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2007

I bet you'll do fine, jazzminjoy.

11. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Dec 3, 2007

OMG, OMG, I don't believe it.

Well, first, I was going to disagree about the Math II CSET being fairer than the Math 1 CSET. I found the Math I to be much easier and fairer because the material, for me, was not as difficult, the questions tested understanding, and if you didn't know one remote topic, there was only one multiple choice on it, so not to worry. I thought I knew Geometry fairly well, but I found some of the questions bizarre. And one remote aspect had about 4 questions.

Digressing again, when the proctor reset my calculator before the test, I didn't know the mode changed. I knew how to do a problem but couldn't figure out, being all stressed, why I was getting a negative sine.

Important advice everyone: Check MODE on your calculator as soon as the proctor wipes out everything and change Radians to Degrees, or at least be aware that your calculator is in Radians Mode.

More important advice: At least put whatever you do know and your logic in the Constructed Responses. You get partial credit, even if the answer is wrong.

I was pretty sure I failed my first CSET (after passing 3 Multiple Subject ones and Math I on the first attempts). So, I am stunned and amazed that I passed Math II. Wow! I'm going to celebrate even though I have school tonight. Maybe it'll be Panda Express, an expensive coffee drink, or a Jamba Juice. Yum. I'm happy. :D

Congratulations to everyone who passed. My sympathies to those who didn't quite make it This Time--you will next time.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 3, 2007

jazzminjoy, I for one am very not surprised that you passed. Congratulations! May I gloat shamelessly on your behalf?

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2007

Congratulations on passing CSET Math II!

And shame on you for not knowing how to get your calculator back into the proper mode after all the warning here...

14. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Dec 5, 2007

TG, Thank you. Sure, you can shamelessly gloat. :blush:

Malcolm,
    Thank you also for the congrats.
    I know how to change the mode on the calculator. I didn't know that was the problem. I don't know a lot of trig--mostly just right triangles stuff. So, I was thinking there was some high level trig that involved negative sines! :eek: I mean, it was a major test, and I was stressed and not thinking correctly and trying to hurry, excuse, excuse. It's funny now, but I would have felt poorly if I failed by a point.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2007

Yes, stress will do that to you. That is the reason we need to be very familiar with out equipment. Any time I see a student who is getting a negative sine my first thought is to check the mode. Invariably they have the calculator in radian mode.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 5, 2007

(gloating, gloating, gloating)

As for the calculator, don't you just hate it when you do something like that?

Have a hug.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2007

Let us just say that anyone who has that problem has plenty of company. I friend of mine was asking me how to reset his brand new graphing calculator while we were walking into the examination building...

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2007

Oh, maaaaan...