CSET Multiple Subject Scoring

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Rin, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rin

Rin New Member

Jan 27, 2019

I know that you need a scaled score of 220 to pass each subtest, but how exactly do they grade you on the short constructed responses?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. Jamie Pieper

Jamie Pieper New Member

Jan 27, 2019

Hi!! I know this doesn't help answer your question. But I am taking CSET next weekend and have been using the CLIFF notes book as well. What do you suggest I also study to make sure I'm prepared?? I'm most worried about the short answers

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2019

Constructed responses on CSET-MS are scored on a scale from 0 to 3. Scorers assume each response was written in a bit less than 15 minutes - the amount of time one would have taking all three subtests in one five-hour span. Two scorers score each response, and the total constructed-response raw score is the sum of both scorers' scores for all four (or three) of the subtest's responses, so the maximum raw constructed response score for Subtest I is 24 (that is, 3 points times 4 responses times 2 scorers). Constructed responses count for 30% of available scaled points - part of the point of scaling the scores is to calculate this.

A response of 3 addressed the question correctly and fully, showing an above-adequate grasp of the issues it raises, supporting the response with appropriate examples and reasoning based on the principles of the subject area, and using correct technical and professional terminology (though not necessarily using full sentences, except for the literature response in Subtest I: bullet lists are the CSET-MS test taker's friend).

A response of 0 goes to the answer left blank, the response that was gibberish - in the old paper-based days, it was the answer that was illegible - or the answer that is in another language or wildly off topic.

5. Niru

Niru Rookie

Jan 25, 2021

Hello,

I took the CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest 2 two days ago. I have done very well in the multiple choice questions sections(Math and Science). In the constructed response section, I answered both the science questions really well and one math question perfectly. But, the 2nd math question was about graphs, inequalities. I did not have time to write down my inequality equations and show the steps solving them. I managed to complete drawing the graph, plotting, and lines. So I would say I covered 30 to 35 % of what the question was about.

My concern is : Will I fail this test because of this one question? Also, I had trouble scanning the written response for the above mentioned question. I had to re scan at least three times until the answer was 60% visible...guess we really have to press down on the pencil while writing. I am really worried and losing sleeping over this. I have cleared other subtests...just this last one. Can you please help me get a clear picture for my scenario? I am not sure if I am the only one who has gone through this or this any one else out there who has been in the same situation as me?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 26, 2021

Scoring for CSETs are explained in this pdf https://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/content/docs/CS_ScoreReport_Insert.pdf

It looks like CSET 214 is 70% multiple choice, 30% constructed response. I'd make bets that missing one of the constructed response questions isn't going to cause a fail if you did well everywhere else. I passed a couple CSETs without responding to any of the constructed responses.

7. Niru

Niru Rookie

Jan 26, 2021

Hello,

Thank you very much for responding. Your reply did ease my mind.
    When you say you cleared few sub tests without responding to any of the constructed responses, do you mean that you left them blank or you answered few parts of the question only?
    Do they usually give a PASS if only 3/4 of the constructed response was answered?
    Thank you again for your time.

8. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 27, 2021

One test I passed, I left all constructed responses blank.
    Another I passed, and I might as well have left everything blank because what I did do was absolutely botched.

These were the math subtests 1 and 2. Since I knew there was one correct answer, and I didn't have to guess, I took the time to work out the problems and select the right answers on the multiple choice questions. With that, I did not have time to answer the constructed responses.

Non-math tests, I'm generally not so sure about the multiple choice responses. I'm usually making an educated guess about some of those. For example, the CTEL tests, I responded to everything. Good thing too, since I was right about not being as confident on the multiple choice. Still, and strangely, I did better on the CTELs than I did on the CSET math ones.

I really don't know how the partial credit on each constructed response goes. If you look on the score reports for your other Multiple Subject tests, you might get some idea. And there is usually some explanation of scoring in the CSET prep materials for each subset. But I am sure they grade and give credit for each individual constructed response. Again, look at your score reports for the other two subtests.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  9. Niru

Niru Rookie

Jan 27, 2021

Hello,

Thank you again for responding. I am glad you cleared those tests on your first try. It takes a lot of hard work and time to prepare for these exams. All that effort going to waste because of one small mistake is terrible. On top of this is the test fee ...they are not cheap.
    I hope the same good luck that helped you decides to help me too...I will get my results on Feb 19th. I will be sure to update my results here.
    Thanks for your time.

10. Niru

Niru Rookie

Feb 22, 2021

Hello,
    As I promised, I am posting today to update my exam results. I cleared my Sub test 2 - multiple subjects. I got four + for multiple choice and 3 checks and a K for constructed response. So, for the CR that I was worried about, they let it slide with a K indicating I need to improve in knowledge area for that particular question. So overall I am really glad that its over and I can now move on to applying for credential programs.
    Thank you for responding and showing support.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.