CSET: Multiple Subject Prep 2020

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Ashley F, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

Feb 11, 2020

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has taken the CSETs yet this year? If so, how did it go?

I'm planning to take Subtest 3 at the end of the month... then the next two every two weeks after that. Should be done by April. I'm currently using Khan Academy for the Math/Science portion. Wikipedia to further read on anything for the Reading/ Writing/ History sections. CrashCourse videos for the Arts/ Development/ PE test. I also have the Test Prep Book and have been taking practice tests/ rewriting essays to the constructed response questions. I've been studying since November 2019.

Anyway, I'm taking the Arts/Development/ PE test first. Anyone have advice/ words of comfort? I think I'll be okay but I'm mostly concerned about the constructed response questions. Specifically with the music portion. The CTC website has a constructed response question on reading music, so was there really something similar to this on the real test? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how much of a music background do I really need?

Thanks in advance!

3. g kal

g kal Rookie

Feb 13, 2020

Good luck Ashley! It sounds like you have prepared really well. Though I do not have any answers to your question but I wish you best of luck for your exam. I have heard if one studies diligently, one can clear the exam. Let me know what grade level books did you use to prepare yourself for the exam. Any answer from you would be a great help as I plan to take ms cset 1 in July/August this year. I am currently working so do not get much time to prepare. Best.

Ashley F likes this.
  4. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

Feb 13, 2020

Thank you! I used a CSET MS Test prep book - the book is really great at giving summaries of all the content. However, I've found that the test questions are very specific, so I definitely had to do research on my own (wikipedia, khan academy, etc). I also looked into the CA standards for grades k-8 for all of the subjects. It's a lot to study and remember, but I think I will do enough to at least get the bare min passing score. I'll update this thread after my tests!

5. g kal

g kal Rookie

Feb 15, 2020

I appreciate your reply. And wish you best. I understand the kind of stress these tests give a candidate. Can you also let me know which cset book are you following? I have purchased cliff’s notes and Barron’s.

Thank you

6. PurpleCat

PurpleCat Rookie

Feb 16, 2020

Hi Ashley,
    I took 1 & 3 subsets in 2019, and as for #3 it didn't have a constructed response question for music on it. (I do remember a MC question for music) There was a constructed response PE question that asked to design a lesson plan for a specific grade level. I didn't think #3 was hard. Best of luck to you,
    Kathleen

7. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

Feb 18, 2020

I'm using the red Test Prep Books: CSET Multiple Subject - it wont let me post the link, but you can find it on Amazon.

8. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

Feb 18, 2020

Hi Kathleen,
    Thank you so much for your response! Any study tips/ advice you have would be greatly appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, did you pass?
    Best,
    Ashley

9. PurpleCat

PurpleCat Rookie

Feb 18, 2020

Hi Ashley,
    I passed 1&3, and I failed #2. Some of #3’s content was my major, and I like English. I used studydotcom and Everything You Need To Ace World History In One Big Fat Notebook. (It’s a Middle School book). I am retaking #2 soon. Math and Science are not my strongest subjects.

Ashley F likes this.
  10. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

Mar 18, 2020

Hey everyone! Just wanted to send a quick update about the CSETs esp. with the COVID-19 causing the tests to be cancelled. I took the CSET MS #3 a few weeks ago (before all this craziness started happening). I get the results on Friday. As far as # 1 and 2, they were cancelled and I have to reschedule them. Pearson Vue sent out an email and said any tests can be rescheduled after April 16th, with no charge. I was able to reschedule test #1. However I was not able to reschedule #2. Just as an FYI, CSET MS #2 (math and science) is only offered at specific locations - not because of COVID, it's just how the testing centers host this specific test. I tried rescheduling it and every center was marked as unavailable, so I'll just have to wait it out for now.
    BTW - I previously mentioned only using one book. A week before I took test #3 I actually bought two more: Cliffnotes CSET MS and the Princeton Review CSET MS. Both were about $30. If you can get them, I would highly recommend it. They both have more information to offer and I've found that using all 3 to study has been super helpful. I'll post another message after I get my results from test #3. Good luck and be safe!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  11. g kal

g kal Rookie

Mar 23, 2020

Hello Ashley,
    Thank for sharing the info. Really helpful. Have you cleared ms #3?
    How difficult was the test?
    Best of luck for next cset tests.

12. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

Apr 3, 2020

Hello everyone!! I JUST got my results about an hour ago and I PASSED MS #3! YAY! It doesn't give the exact score, but I do know that my strongest areas were PE and Human development. The weakest area was visual/ performing arts, but I still did good enough to pass!! Off to study for MS #1. :)

13. charlene2020

charlene2020 New Member

Apr 29, 2020

Hi Ashley
    I am going to take #3 next week. Does the PE part difficult? How's the constructed response? Thanks! Good luck on your #1

14. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

Apr 29, 2020

Hi Charlene!
    The PE and Human Development parts were the easiest in my opinion. The arts/ theatre section was more difficult for me, but it did have less MC questions. The constructed response has a question for each topic (PE/Human Development/Arts). I would say to just make sure you know enough about each topic to apply it to the questions. Good luck on your test! I'm supposed to take #1 in the next two weeks as well. :)

15. g kal

g kal Rookie

May 1, 2020

Hello Ashley,

I am planning to take Subtest 1 this year. I am just wondering how in depth study I need to do to be able to clear the social study part?

Thank you

16. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

May 1, 2020

Hi,
    I haven't taken subtest 1 yet. I am studying for it right now. The history part is nearly half of the test, so I would say study as much as you can. I have been studying with 3 different books & take the practice tests from each frequently. In my own opinion I think we should know enough to be able to explain historical events in our own words. Including dates, locations, events, etc.

17. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

May 11, 2020

UPDATE: MS #1

THIS TEST WAS HARD. Please do yourself a favor and study!!! I studied this test for months and it was still hard. I think the history portion was harder than the English/ Language Arts. The history section asked a lot of very specific questions about the US government and a lot of them were small details I didn't catch when I was reading. I had to use my best judgement a lot on these questions. As for the essays, again the English/ LA questions were much easier than the history. I had one essay question that asked about Confucianism and I had to guess because I had no idea what to even write!! The other question asked about CA post WWII. That one wasn't so bad but definitely study up on your history. We'll see how my score comes out.. yikes!

18. charlene2020

charlene2020 New Member

May 17, 2020

Hi Ashley,
    I had subtest 2 last week and it was not hard at all. I will take subtest 1 in 6 days. I am using study dot com. It has a lot of information. I am wondering how deep should I memorize those history events?

19. Ashley F

Ashley F Rookie

May 18, 2020

Hi,
    Would you mind telling me how you were able to schedule and take test 2? I have been trying to schedule it for months and the CTC website says the test is unavailable for scheduling even in 2021. Was the test difficult? I am very nervous about the math/science.

As far as test 1, I would say to just memorize as much as you can, in as much detail as possible. The history questions were very specific/ about minute details that I did not catch while I was studying. Not necessarily dates, but events and people. Also - make sure you know about Chinese history. I had an essay question about Confucius.

Last edited: May 18, 2020