CSET Math this Saturday

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Galois, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Galois

Galois Companion

Nov 1, 2010

Anybody taking CSET Math this Saturday, Nov. 06, 2010? All the best to all of you!!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

Best wishes!!!

It's also the day that lots of HS Seniors will be taking the SAT-- lots of good math vibes going out there!

4. Galois

Galois Companion

Nov 5, 2010

Hi Alice: If I were to ask you a question in Geometry: What is the hardest part of Geometry that you have to master when you were just starting to learn and to teach and also what you have observed among your students?

I have an exam tomorrow on CSET II (Geometry, Probability and Statistics) - the last barrier between me and employment as a math teacher since I already passed CSET I (Algebra and Number Theory) Please pray for me. Thanks.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2010

The hardest part of geometry's got to be the part that's hardest for you, Galois.

I'm not going to wish you good luck, because I suspect you don't need it, but let me warmly wish you good hunting tomorrow.

6. Galois

Galois Companion

Nov 15, 2010

Thanks a lot TeacherGroupie. I think I have better chances passing this exam than I did in Algebra and I passed Algebra but who knows.

Now my question to you is this: there are several job openings for a math teacher in several districts close to me, can I apply subject to the release of my results in CSET II which is scheduled on December 6 or I would rather wait. I don't have to wait for Sacramento to release a teaching credential because I am going through a university internship route. The district needs only a letter that I am enrolled in that university. I just don't want to lose precious time. What do you think? Again a million thanks!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 15, 2010

Your internship director is likelier than I to know what's appropriate where you are, Galois. Sounds promising, though - and good hunting!

8. Galois

Galois Companion

Nov 15, 2010

Thanks TeacherGroupie.

9. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 6, 2010

I Passed Subset II !!!

Thank God, I just got an email that I passed Subset II! I was scared to death as to how I would fare in this exam. I am now done with Foundational Level Math. This is really a big big one for me!

Thank you TeacherGroupie for all your help and encouragement and for all those who posted giving pointers re CSET Math.

Right now I will be sending out my application for several Math job openings that are close to me.

Thank you very much for this Forum. It is priceless!!!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

Galois, I'm thrilled for you - but cheerfully unsurprised. Congratulations!

11. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Dec 7, 2010

Congrats Galois. Good luck on your next project.

12. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 9, 2010

Merci TeacherGroupie and MacGuffin. MacGuffin may I know what books or material you used to prepare for Calculus? OCDE? How many weeks did it take you to prepare for it? It's been a long long time since I had my Calculus in college. I am also not as comfortable with Calculus than with Algebra and Geometry. But I know I can make it except that I need more time to study. What I need right now is a teaching job.

On another note, did you have an actual classroom experience teaching math in high school in your resume? I suppose this is a critical qualification in applying for a math teacher job opening isn't it? I just used my network today to get hold of school principals and a math department head to be able to put my right foot in the classroom. Hope it bears fruit. Thanks again.

13. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

14. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 11, 2010

Thank you Jay.

15. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Dec 13, 2010

I had about 3 or 4 old edition textbooks with their solution manuals in addition to various online resources and videos. I think Stewart's Calculus and Larson's Calculus were the most helpful.

16. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 15, 2010

Thanks MacGuffin. I have Larson's, but right now I'm solving problems on Schaum's Beginning Calculus just to familiarize myself with Calculus problems. Then I will go deeper into the textbooks (I have several). I've been watching videos on Calculus too, like the one in Algebra which helped me a lot passed CSET I. I am not in a hurry to take CSET III.

My main concern is actual classroom experience, which I never had (no student teaching) because I went straight to internship. Fortunately, through networking, I got hold of a Math Department Head who allowed me to observe her class and hopefully after the holidays, like in January, I can practice teach. She will also give me a recommendation.