Cset math subtest II- Orange County Study Guide

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by soninkegirl, Jan 3, 2011.

1. soninkegirl

soninkegirl Rookie

Jan 3, 2011

Hello again,
    I have one more question about the orange county study guide for subtest II. I went through it and find it a bit easier than the CSET sample test. I am just curious if it's helpful to spend time on it. I used the guide for subtest I, but the subtest II study guide does not cover many concepts. The exam is just around the corner and I am a bit overwhelmed because Geometry is not my area, though I feel well prepared for it. Any last minute tips will be very much appreciated.

Thank you all for taking time to help!
    Soninkegirl

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Jan 6, 2011

I used the OCDE reference guide along with other references for subtest 2. reviewing as many proofs as possible is the one thing that I really remembered that helped me. Plus being very comfortable with your graphing calculator. When I took the test (almost five years ago) I remember that one of the CR problems could be solved completely with the calculator, and took me about 10 minutes. That was a lifesaver.

4. soninkegirl

soninkegirl Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

thank you. I am using it with Geometry made easy. I hope this will help.

5. Galois

Galois Companion

Jan 8, 2011

I used the same materials to pass CSET 2 for Geometry : OCDE and Geometry Made Easy. I used several to prepare for Statistics, but OCDE is a good guide too even in Statistics.

All the best in your exam today!

6. Ptycast

Ptycast Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

Are we allowed to use a Calculator for CSET 2 Geometry???

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2011

For Subtest II (which, yes, includes geometry) you're to bring and use one of the models of graphing calculator listed on CSET's Test Selection page (http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS16_testselection.asp).

No other model of calculator, including scientific calculators, will be allowed. I understand that some test takers have learned this to their sorrow.

8. MathProf

MathProf New Member

Jan 30, 2011

Soninkegirl, how did you get on with subtest II?

9. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Feb 4, 2011

Somebody in my session had their calculator taken from them since it wasn't on the list. So don't say you weren't warned. They also wipe the memory on them, so no sneaking in useful programs or notes.

10. alicia2222

alicia2222 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

may i ask was the ocde study guide useful? what books did you use to help you pass thank you.

11. alicia2222

alicia2222 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

cset math

does anyone know if the ocde study guides are useful to pass the cset subtests for math? any books/resources helpful?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2014

In posts 2 and 4, alicia, UCLACareerChngr and Galois each indicate that the OCDE materials were useful. Whether this means that OCDE's stuff is right for everyone, of course, is another matter: my sense is that they probably work best for those who know the topics in math or did know them well at one time, rather than for people whose level of mastery isn't so high.

13. alicia2222

alicia2222 Rookie

Aug 14, 2014

i appreciate your response. do you know of any books that are helpful with passing the cset math test. i attempted it and i did not pass the first time and now i am intending to do it again.

14. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Aug 14, 2014

I don't remember all the books that I used to pass the test...however, you already took the test and didn't pass it, so if I may ask, what resources did you use to study the first time? If you used resources and didn't pass, perhaps a strategy change would be in order...Do they still offer prep courses at OCDE (I didn't have time to take the course I just bought the materials). If they do, and you have time to take it, I would recommend it.

I believe I used some reference guides like were mentioned before (Geometry made easy, statistics made easy, etc). Good luck!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2014

People whose judgment I trust have recommended Barron's Geometry Made Easy - I can't speak to the rest of the Made Easy series, but if the books resonate with you, they should work - and Schaum's Outlines in algebra II (I think: it's been a while).

Some people get good results from working through the videos on the Khan Academy Web site: please Google that, since I can never reliably remember whether it's .com or .org or .what. (That last was a joke.) The videos, which run three to eight minutes each, run from very basic math on up to some pretty advanced topics, and are linked so that students can follow a sequence.

If Khan Academy turns out not to be your cup of tea, Richard Byrne has some other suggestions on his blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com.

If you're happier with text explanations, Mathworld or Math is Fun might do.

16. alicia2222

alicia2222 Rookie

Aug 15, 2014

are you selling the study guides?

17. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 17, 2014

18. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 4, 2014