CSET Math Subtest I, II, III (single subject)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by quantummechanix, Jul 4, 2008.

1. luvteachin

luvteachin New Member

Mar 1, 2009

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. How would you recommend studying for the Math CSET? What I have been doing is just going over and doing practice problems from a study guide but should I just get a precalc book and review and do all the problems from there? I'm a little lost since I'm not sure exactly what to expect. Also, I took the MS CSET and that wasn't really that difficult. But I'm not going in to this with the same expectation. I guess I just need to make a plan that I can exquisite so if you guys can give me ideas on how to put a plan together it would be great. Thanks for all your help.

luvteachin

2. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2009

The math in CSET MS is in no way comparable to the math in CSET Math. The content is much broader and deeper, and the questions are much more obtuse.

The key to passing CSET Math is mastering the content that is on it. The first step is to read and understand the Subtest Description and the referenced California Content Standards for Mathematics. That is what you need to know and be able to do. You don't need to be up on anything else. Where it says "prove" you need to be able to do the proof. Where is says "derive" you need to be able to derive the formula. That said, if you master what is in Shaum's Precalculus, you have most of CSET Math Subtest 1 down (with the exception of group theory and number theory) and part of the analytic geometry of Subtest 2.

For more information on preparing for CSET Math, just search this forum for "CSET Math".

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 1, 2009

There is next to no comparison between CSET-MS math and CSET Math math: we're talking apples and blowfishes here.

4. bongbong

bongbong Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

I am taking subtest II this saturday! (3/14). I think I am eating and sleeping math. :)

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2009

Best of luck! Take Friday night off and be nice to yourself. If you don't know it by then, you won't know it Saturday.

6. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Mar 11, 2009

Ha, ha! True that!

I usually recommend that candidates take Friday off [work i.e.] if possible to simply review key formulae / Chapter summaries.

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

7. bongbong

bongbong Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

combination vs. permutation

okay, so this might be a silly question but I always get confused.

How do you know when it is a combination or Permutation problem?

ps. thanks for all the "good luck" wishes

8. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Mar 11, 2009

Permutation: order matters. E.g. in how many ways can 7 horses secure the first 3 positions of a race? 7P3 or 7*6*5
    [Horses A, B and C securing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions is different from B, A and C...]

Combination: order doesn't matter. E.g. In how many ways can 7 horses being chosen out of 10 to run a race? 10C7 or 10*9*8 / 1*2*3
    [Horses A, B, C, D, E, F and G be chosen is the same as B, A, C, D, E, F and G...or any variation thereof. It's the same bloody horses in whichever sequence they may be chosen!]

Bottomline: CONTEXT and WORDING matter!

Jay.

9. bongbong

bongbong Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

Probability

Thank you!

One more question:

How do you know when to add or multiply in Probability questions?

Thanks again!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2009

For AND, multiply; for OR, add.

For instance, the probability of rolling a 4 on a fair standard six-sided die is 1/6 (one 4, six sides).

The probability of rolling a pair of 4's is the probability of rolling 4 on the first die AND 4 on the second. You can list all the possible outcomes and find that only one of the 36 is (4,4), which would be 1/36... or you can multiply 1/6 x 1/6 and get 1/36.

The probability of rolling a 2 OR a 4 on a single roll of a six-sided die can be ascertained by counting: of the six possible outcomes, there are two that will make us happy. Alternatively, one can add: 1/6 + 1/6 = 2/6.

11. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Mar 12, 2009

Not a bad rule of thumb.

I'd just add certain caveats:

1. The Multiply Rule for AND applies for Independent Events [those whose outcomes do NOT affect each others': as in the throw of dice].

For Dependent Events, the concept of Conditional Probability kicks in:
    P(A and B) = P(A, given B) * P(B)

or, more succinctly, P(A and B) = P(A | B) * P(B)

2. The Addition Rule for OR applies for Disjoint / Mutually Exclusive Events [those that cannot occur simultaneously: as in getting a 3 OR a 4 in one throw of a die].

For non-Disjoint Events, the concept of the General OR Rule kicks in:

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

since an overlap of A and B is presupposed, and being counted twice - within each of P(A) and P(B) - P(A and B) needs to be subtracted once.

This is a decent site:
    http://www.stat.yale.edu/Courses/1997-98/101/probint.htm

Jay.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 13, 2009

Jay, I hope your version makes as much sense to the questioner as mine.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2009

An example of rule #2:

You're picking a card from a deck of 52. You want the probability of getting a red or a King.

p(red) = 26/52 (all the hearts and all the diamonds)
    p(King) = 4/52 (all 4 of the kings in the deck)
    p(red king) = 2/52 (K of hearts, K of diamonds)

p(red or king) = 26/52 + 4/52 - 2/53= 28/52

You need to subtract those red kings; otherwise you'll count each of them twice... once as a king, once as a red.

Basically, those 28 cards are the 13 hearts, the 13 diamonds, and the 2 black kings.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2009

It's been a long time since I did probablilty, but here's how I would explain Jay's rule 1:

Let's say you choose 2 cards from a deck, and you want both to be hearts.

the probability that the first will be hearts is 13/ 52 (or 1/4) since there are 13 hearts in that deck of 52.

But it's a bit different for the 2nd pick. You're already holding one of those hearts in your hand. So the probability of that second card coming up hearts is down to 12/51.

The probability of BOTH being hearts is 13/52 * 12/52, or 3/51.

15. bongbong

bongbong Rookie

Mar 15, 2009

thanks everyone for the help! I feel pretty confident that I did better than the last time.

16. proveass

proveass New Member

Mar 18, 2009

Hey guys, I realize that this is probably a repetitive question, but does anyone know the pass rate of the math cset sub test 1 and 2...i took it this last saturday and it was really tough. I also heard that the test is curved.....is this true as well? thanks fellow mathematicians

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2009

18. proveass

proveass New Member

Mar 19, 2009

ok thanks...so in order to pass, one would need to get a 220, which is about a 66.7% or am I misinformed?....

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2009

Sort of. There's also the matter of scaled vs. raw scores - the conversion to scaled scores in part helps compensate for the fact that it's extremely difficult to write two test questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty. It's also the case that not all the multiple choice questions are scored: some are being test-driven before they're included in a future version of the test.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

You need something on the order of 60% to 67% of the raw points to pass, depending on the math subtest. The scaled score of 220 is simply an arbitrary number number assigned if you have the minimum raw score required to show that you would be successful as a first year math teacher. It appears that multiply raw scores may map to a single scaled score, particularly 219. And it appears that the mapping is not necessarily linear. All CSET subtests have a passing scaled score of 220, but the percentage of the raw points required to get it varies considerably.

21. jimmyb

jimmyb New Member

Mar 29, 2009

hello all!

thanks for all the great posts! i am currently studying for cset math subtest 1. I was wondering if there was something wrong with innovationguy's website? It's been almost two days now, and I have not been able to successfully access it. please help! thanks so much!

sincerely,
    jimmyb

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2009

Good question, jimmyb. Let's hope Jay visits soon and sheds some light.

23. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Mar 30, 2009

The site http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com is fully operational, now! The server was down for the past couple of days - I am usually powerless when this happens, sorry! All my

moaning,
    groaning,
    foaming,
    weeping,
    expectorating,
    bleating,
    wailing,
    mewling,
    caterwauling,
    teeth-gnashing,
    head-slapping,
    hair-pulling,
    brow-wrinkling,
    stomach-churning,
    eye-rolling,
    bone-crushing,
    jaw-breaking,
    pupil-dilating,
    lip-bruising,
    tongue-lashing,
    arm-twisting,
    nail-biting,
    chest-beating,
    leg-breaking,
    mucus-expelling,
    throat-clearing,
    foot-stomping, and
    chin-scratching...

is to no avail!

Jay.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2009

That's light and heat, both, Jay...

25. lovemath

lovemath Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

I have a question about CSET Mathematics Subtest III. I am studying Trig so far but want to prepare for History as well at the same time. I never studied or took a course History of Mathematics. What should I study for History? I looked at some websites. There are so much information and I do not know where to study. Thanks for your help.

26. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

Don't worry about the history of mathematics. Many so called history of mathematics problems can be solved even without knowing the history.

27. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2009

What I did was browse St. Andrew's University history of mathematics web site and read Boyer's A History of Mathematics, 2nd Ed. IIRC I had six MC questions and one CR question on history. The CR question was basically to reconstruct a famous geometry proof, which was possible even without knowing the history of the proof. The MC questions were inane things like which two mathematicians were responsible for a particular concept, or what order some mathematicians lived, no real meat, just arbitrary facts to be rattled back. It is a crap shoot whether you will get something you know or not. There is something like 5000 years of history and six questions. You will probably know some and not know some others no matter how well you prepare.

IIWY I would not sweat it. Read the history through once or twice. Don't bother trying to memorized anything. FWIW you can easily pass subtest 3 without a single point from history. IMHO it was the easiest of the three subtests, and IIR, it had the lowest raw score percentage mapping to a scaled score of 220 of the three subtests, less than 60% IIRC.

28. Mathamit

Mathamit New Member

Apr 16, 2009

Need Math-Science Question bank

Manish, can you send me the question bank and any other information you have? Intereted in Math III and Chemistry

Amit

29. mdavis501

mdavis501 New Member

Apr 27, 2009

Math History on Subtest III

I too am preparing for the Calculus and Math History exam, but I do have until the July test date. However, I looked at the Boyer text, "A History of Mathematics"....it's almost 700 pages. Not something that I'm likely to get thru by July, given that I have the brush up on the true meat of the test, the calculus stuff. I sure hate to give up 6 questions by not trying to do anything on the history part, but like the previous person who had the original query, the math stuff is not something most people would have encountered in math or engineering.

At any rate, your input was valuable and I appreciate it.

30. Cami

Cami New Member

May 22, 2009

Preparation for the CSET I

Hi everybody,
    Is someone done with the OCDE Preparation Guide for Subtest I Math and want to sell it?
    The other Guides (for Subtest II and III) are welcome too.
    I'm impatiently waiting for your replies.
    Thank you in advance.
    Cami

31. ImacTeacher

ImacTeacher New Member

Jun 26, 2009

Hey! I am taking the Math subset 1 and 2 in July 2009. I already purchased Jay's materials and I am waiting to receive them any day now. Do you have any advice? I am a college graduate with a BS in Business. I graduated in 2007 and got my Multi-Subject teaching credential in 2008. So, I am somewhat fresh on my math. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

32. dguard213

dguard213 New Member

Jul 5, 2009

Overview...

I recently started up a website dedicated to those looking to take the CSET Math test(s).... all the content will not be uploaded by the time you take your test but I'd suggest you check it out anyway (csetmathematics.com) especially the FAQs for a good overview of what to expect. If you end up retaking either test at another time or you end up taking the subtest 3, check back and the ebooks and guides should be finished and uploaded by then.
    If you still have questions feel free to contact me using the "contact" page found on that site.
    Good Luck.

33. lovemath

lovemath Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

CSET Subtest II

I took Subtest II last Saturday. I studied very hard and it was second time I took the test (I already passed Subtest I and III). As I was working via constructed response. It is harder than last time I took the test. I was very close passing the test at the first time ( I think is about 8 points left). Constructed responses were easy except statistics that I did not have time to study for it. That is why the score was close to be passed. At this time, I studied more on probability and statistics and of course keep up with geometry. Then I felt I was confidence that i would pass the test second time. Last Saturday, I looked at constructed response. It made me feel like pulling my hair. I felt it wasn't fair. I guess people who made the test know how to make the test fair? Or isnt it possible that the test could not be fair?

I guess i will wait for the score next month.

34. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

What do you feel is unfair about the constructed response questions?

35. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

My thoughts precisely: what was "unfair"? A Q that is "unexpected" or puzzling oughtn't automatically be deemed as unjust! I don't think the Test changes so dramatically from 1 edition to another to render one incapacitated a la "It made me feel like pulling my hair".

I wish you well - perhaps, you passed after all!

Jay.

36. skrng

skrng Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

Hello!
    I was just wondering -- does anyone have the OCDE study guides and are interested in selling them?

37. MathCset123

MathCset123 New Member

Jul 29, 2009

OCDE Guides For Sale - Good Condition

Hello, I have OCDE guides for subtest 1 and subtest 2.

If interested please email me at clgww@yahoo.com

thnks

38. punkrocker27ka

punkrocker27ka New Member

Aug 1, 2009

I'm interested in your OCDE guides. I tried to send you a private message but it will not let me because I am such a new member to this forum.

Maybe you could private message me your email and I will then contact you. I am very interested!!!

39. lovemath

lovemath Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

yes feel unfair

Sorry for not replying. I looked at the score. It was true that i did not pass second time. I passed I and III few months ago.

What I mean is that one of the constructed responses isn't easy that i do not know how to solve or answer the questions at all. It is just like it is kind of stupid. Well, the first time I took Subtest II... This one is easier than second time i took! That is why I studid so hard and then second time, all constructed responses were completely different. It is like you have to do fill the blank sheet as statement/reason. (there is no clue at all) That is tough for me. Also, the statistic as well. I stuided them well but the question (I dont remember... :( ) is kind of like for graduated student who enter first year of master degree program in mathematics (statistics). Anyway, the questions in constructed responses threw me off. What i mean is i completely dont know the answer or write down.

My goal is to teach high school in Algebra or Calculus. Do you have any advice or books that I should study? (Of course I did study on statistics and probability books!).

I will probaly have to take the test again in November.

40. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Sep 19, 2009

If somebody has OCDE CSET Math Guides 1 & 2 I would be interested. Thanks - Aaron