CSET Math Single Subject Prep

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Jose, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Jose

Jose Rookie

Oct 25, 2004

Has anyone attended the CSET Math single subject prep course through National University. I've been trying to sign up for the class, yet because no one signs up they end up cancelling them. I was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences and if it was even worth it.

3. Step Back

Step Back New Member

Nov 10, 2004

CSET Single Subject Prep Course (Fresno, CA) Subtest 1 Nov. 29, 2004 The Best Prep!

Attention if you are studying to take the CSET math course Subtest 1 Algebra and Number Theory, and you can make to Fresno this is the course for you! I took the course once in June and I learned tons of info., but I want to take it again. When I started the course I hadn't studied algebra or geometry for 8 years and couldn't even remember the quadratic formula. Now I have passed the Geometry CSET and may have passed Algebra Nov 6th test, but this prep course is too good to pass up so I'm taking it again. The instructor Laura Curtis taught it in June at National and she is excellent! She has passed all three subtests and has a BA in math. I have heard of other teachers that teach these prep courses and that they don't even cover the material that is on the CSET.

Take my advice and sign up soon, because somtimes they wind up cancelling the class because there are not enough single subject math people. The reason I am writing this is, hopefully, to get more students interested in an excellent prep course.

David -Step Back I'm going to pass these tests!

www.nu.edu/Academics/Schools/Extend.../OnsitePrograms/TeacherDevelopment/8068.html PH#559-256-4900 ask for Maria in Cont. Ed dept.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  4. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Nov 11, 2004

Wow, that sounds great; how much is the class? You mentioned you passed Subtest II and this course is for Subtest I. Does this course cover any of the other subtests and if not, is there a course that does? Thank you!

5. Step Back

Step Back New Member

Nov 11, 2004

The class is $195.00 (click on the link I provided for more info) They offer this class for subtest 1 and a diff. class for sub 2. Sub 2 is easier so thats why I passed that one first.

6. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Nov 13, 2004

Hi again; thanks for the info. Real quick, is there a class for Subtest III? Thanks in advance.

7. kids2math

kids2math Rookie

Nov 13, 2004

Any good review classes/books for subtest 3?

I've passed subtests 1 and 2 and am now thinking about taking subtest 3. It was an effort to pass those first 2 subtests, and I would love to find an online or in person excellent review course for subtest 3. Anyone know of any?

8. Step Back

Step Back New Member

Nov 13, 2004

Hey there, congrats on passing sub 1 & 2! From what I have read the best prep out there is Calculus for Idiots.

How many times did you take sub I before passing?

9. john_seed

john_seed Rookie

Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to sign up for this. I'll be commuting from San Juan Bautista to Fresno, so it will be 2 hours each way...probably more since I'll be hitting traffic heading from San Jose to the bedroom communities in Los Banos and beyond. Have any of you besides Step Back taken these courses?

10. music28

music28 New Member

May 16, 2006

Are there any formula sheets given at Math CSET ?

for subsets 1 and/or 2 ? Thank you.

11. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

May 16, 2006

Oh, this was dealt with in another thread! Maybe you can do a Search!

Otherwise, short answer: NO!

Longer response (?!): Subtst I doesn't have too many "formulae" per se; the following topics, however, do require recall:

* Quadratic Formula & "Facts" related to parabolas
    * Log and Exponential Function "Identities"
    * Vector Formulae
    * Equations / relationships re Conic Sections
    * Binomial Theorem
    * Formulae pertaining to Arithmetic and Geometric Series
    * Rational Roots, Factor and Remainder Theorems

Subtest II requires knowledge of basic formulae related to Areas / Perimetres / Volumes for common geometric shapes / solids, 45-45-90 and 30-60-90 triangles, and trig ratios.

On the whole, nothing terribly cumbersome!

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

12. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Dec 23, 2007

INNOVATION GUY--CSET III Prep

Dear Innovation Guy,
    I passed CSET I & II in 05 & 06 in first try. I wish to thank "Innovation Guy" for many of his tips that really helped me. Now I am ready to take CSET III in jan 12, 08. and would like to follow your recommendations.

I have prepared Trig. and 'Sequences and Series' from Houghten

Mifflin's "Algebra and Trig.-Structure and Method text book. Is this text sufficient? Also please recommend a good book for the Calculus portion..

If you have already posted this info. previously then please direct me to the appropriate post.

Thanks for all your help and thanks in advance for your response.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 24, 2007

shikshak, you can search for innovationguy's posts by clicking on his name in blue above post 10. You could also use the forum search tool at the upper right corner of the page, and search for "CSET calculus".

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2007

Why not check out Jay's (Innovation Guy's) site?

Jay's number one pick is Calculus and Analytic Geometry, 9/10th ed. by Thomas/Finley. I concur. FWIW I used Thomas's 3rd edition I got in the 70s and it was fine.

Don't forget to prepare for the history portion of subtest III.

15. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Dec 25, 2007

To add my tuppence, examine some of the other threads on Subtest III for rather specific Tips about the CSET syllabus, which spans not even the Calculus AB curriculum!

Also, I have ~ 8 textbooks on Calculus [?!] and I deem most to be of like calibre, though Thomas / Finney - being my 1st, purchased, um, ~ 18 years ago - is a favourite!

Jay.
    http://csetmathguru.weebly.com/index.html

16. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Dec 28, 2007

Binomial Expansion

I am a little confused whether Binomial expansion is a part of subtest III. I see it included in the chapter with "Series", in my math book.
    Another concern is that I did not find Taylor series in the above chapter. I looked several High School algebra books such as Houghton Mifflin's and one by LArson, hostetler. I am using these books to prepare for Trig.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

17. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Dec 28, 2007

Binomial Expansion is NOT part of Subtest III. Consult a Calculus text for studying Series, wherein you shall find Taylor / Maclaurin Series. While a Precalculus book should suffice for Trigonometry, not so for the Calculus parts, yes? Series as covered in an Algebra textbook - Arithmetic / Geometric - is not required for Subtest III. I imagine, a general understanding of Geometric Series, however, is key for grasping Convergence of Series [|r| <1, that sort of thing, what!].

Jay.

PS. I believe Larson / Hostetler have a serviceable Calculus book!

18. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Dec 30, 2007

w

19. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Dec 30, 2007

Math III single subject

Hello
    Thanks for your response. Greatly appreciate your help. I have one more help to ask, I hope you don't mind. I have prepared for the Trig. portion and AP series and GP series from an algebra book. I have just begun studying for convergence and Taylor series from Calc. book.

From my local library I obtained a "Thomas' Calculus-Early Trancendentals." This book is revised by Finney, Weir, Giordano. I am not sure if this is the book you recommended. In any case, I have 13 days to prepare for the Calculus portion. I am able to spend about 8 hours a day preparing for this test (scheduled Jan. 12 '08). I would like to know which chapters to prepare (in the least) and hope to have a good shot at passing the exam. I tried the Trig. portion of the Sample Test and did well.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    Shikshak

20. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Dec 30, 2007

Binomial expansion is really cool and was fun for me to learn. It was on subtest 1. Know how to do it algebraically and also using Pascal's triangle. A question might be along the lines of, "What is the 5th term in this expression?" or could go the other way, where you are given the term and told it is the 3rd one, so what is the expression.

Regarding formulas (different post), for subtest 2, know the Law of Sines and the Law of Cosines and how to use them. And have your calculator in degree mode if you are working with degrees! If you get a negative sine, you are in radians mode.

21. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Dec 30, 2007

The post was about Subtest III, not Subtest I!

Again, Binomial expansions are NOT required for Subtest III.

Also, calculators are NOT permitted for Subtest III.

One CAN get a negative sine in degree mode: it's ONLY in the 1st two quadrants is sine positive.

The Thomas / Finney book you possess shall suit you fine: after one of the duo passed away, there are others who have taken over "updating" the text...

These are the concepts / chapters you ought to master:

1. Limits
    2. Continuity
    3. The Derivative as a Rate of Change: [do not be obsessed with techniques i.e. differentiating complex functions!]
    4. Finding Derivatives of Simple Functions using the Definition
    5. Implicit Differentiation
    6. Distinction between Continuity and Differentiability
    7. Basic Rules [Chain Rule; Power Rule; Multiplication & Quotient Rules]
    8. Applications: Maxima / Minima; Related Rates; Concavity / Convexity; Curve Sketching; Optimization
    9. Intermediate Value Theorems
    10. Mean Value Theorems
    11. Definite Integral & Properties: Finding the area under a curve using Riemann Sums
    12. Fundamental Theorem of Calculus: Proof
    13. L'Hospital's Rule
    14. Infinite Series: Convergence Tests; Power, Taylor, MacClaurin Series; Radius of Convergence [Basic Understanding]
    15. Application of Integrals: Finding lengths of Arcs; Areas / Volumes of Solids [Basic Understanding]

Jay.

PS. In addition to the aforementioned information, these two links shall be of some profit to you...

22. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Dec 30, 2007

You should do fine in Subtest III: it's the easiest of the 3 tests, took me slightly more than an hour - I spent the rest of the time on Subtest I & II, naturally... - and I got "perfect" scores on every component...

Jay.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2007

I think jazzminjoy meant if you get a negative sine when you don't expect it...or any other wierd looking result from a trig function...you probably have your calculator in the wrong mode. Of course, that is only an issue for Subtest II.

I would add that it might well pay to be able to rattle back automatically, suitably annotated, all of the proofs and derivations referred to in the Subtest Description. They are likely candidates for constructed response questions.

24. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Dec 30, 2007

It's "safe" to say - and this is what was meant! - that sine of acute angles [in degree mode] are always positive. But oftentimes - especially, for someone not terribly schooled in trigonometry - a negative result might be "rationalized": um, that's queer, but I shall simply drop the negative sign! After all, sine 30 [in radian mode] [~ sin 1718.87 degrees] = -0.9880. Students are tempted to simply ignore the sign - and I observe this in my Trig-Precalculus class!

Jay.

25. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Dec 31, 2007

Math III

Innovation Guy
    Thank you for your hrlp. I will focus on the 15 items you listed in these remaining 12 days.
    Shikshak

26. Unbeluvabl

Unbeluvabl New Member

Jan 31, 2008

Subtest 1 and 2 review

Hello,
    Can someone please help suggest a review course for the CSET Math subtests 1 and 2? I was thinking about signing up for the online course at National University.

I've ordered the csetCliffnotes:math and another book. Wasnt sure if I could just study off of those, or if I should take a prep course. Any suggestions???

Thanks!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2008

It depends on how confident you are, I suppose, and how fresh your knowledge is. Have you looked over the practice questions on the CSET Web site?

28. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2008

In which part of the state are you located, Unbeluvable?

29. Unbeluvabl

Unbeluvabl New Member

Feb 1, 2008

CSET single subject

I'm located in Sacramento. I took Subtest 1 in January and dont feel very confident considering I couldnt remember the equation of a Parabola. it's been a while. I've been/still working in civil engineering for the past 3.5 years...different math skills.

I think I made the problems more complicated than what they were, is that possible?

30. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

took CSET III in Jan 08 but..

Friends
    Just got the CSET III results and I did not pass. My score was 209 Was pleased that I scored so high (220 needed to pass) because I had only prepared the trig and diff. calc. Left out Integral calculus completely.
    Any suggestions whether it is wise to take the test in March, or whether I should wait till April or May. I wonder if the test is too different when you take it consecutively.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

I don't believe that different versions are given on a calendar rotation, shikshak. There was a persistent rumor some years ago that CSET-Multiple Subjects versions were given on a rotation - I think it turned out to have only limited substance, but there's reason to believe that the test makers monitor online discussions, and the rumor hasn't surfaced in the past year and a half.

32. ex|

ex| Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

Test Preps

Are there any test preps offered anywhere this month for subtests 1 and 2?

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

National University might have something online. innovationguy might have something in the Inland Empire. There's a very good tutor in the San Diego area (no, not I - not for this one, uh-uh). Posters have mentioned something around San Jose. Other than that, I dunno.

34. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2008

Check your local and surrounding County Office of Education. Some of them have prep classes regularly.

35. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Feb 12, 2008

Go for it! Naturally, prepare better this time around, what?! Work through the topics I outlined before in a previous post...it's very do-able!

Again, stress APPLICATIONS.

Not MANIPULATIONS!

Jay.

PS. Um, 209 is higher than 208...and 207 and 206 and 205 [you get the idea! I'm a Math teacher, you see?...] but it doesn't connote a mark that is "only" 11 away. 208 is the Scaled score, not the Raw score.

36. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Feb 12, 2008

a) Hit the books!

AND / OR

b) Take relevant courses at a local Community College.

As an engineering fellow, the concepts ought to come back very quickly!

Subtest I is hard and vast: it'd take ~ 125-150 hours for a robust preparation.

Subtest II is easier: it'd take ~ 100 hours.

Jay.

37. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

Innovationguy,
    Did not know that the scores were scaled. How do I make sense out of a scaled score? I am hoping that the official result has some explanation.
    I am trying to find out whether the next test (March '08) would be significantly different or have the same distribution of topics as was in Jan. '08 test.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

If there's a teacher test in the US on which scores AREN'T reported as scaled scores, I'd be surprised. The scale runs from 100 to 300, and 220 is passing - that is, there was a level of performance based on the first two administrations of the test that the powers that be decided was passing, and the algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled for a given version of the test seems to contain fudge factors so that a similar level of performance on that test will produce a passing score, somewhat independent of the exact number of questions one gets right. If you've ever tried writing test questions, this may make more sense to you.

It would also be surprising if there were only one version administered in a given testing center on a given day. The Math test was one of the first CSETs introduced, so there's been plenty of time to generate additional versions.

39. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

vel , acc. curves

Hello friends
    Somehow I am not able to post a messge. However I am able to reply to any post.
    I would like someone to help me with the following math prob.
    When 2 sets of curves (some for velocity and some for acceleration) are given, how do you figure out which vel. curve matches the acceleration curve. Similar problem is in Finney Calc Exercise 2.1 #15 to 18.Chapter2 erivative of a function.
    any help is greatly appreciated.

40. HMM

HMM Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

I think I understand what you are asking. I don't have that book

One thing to do is to look for the locations of the local/global maxs and mins for the velocity curve. These will be locations where the acceleration will be zero (provided the acceleration curve is continuous)

41. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

Acceleration = Rate of Change of Velocity [by DEFINITION!]

Translation:
    Acceleration = Change in Velocity / Change in Time

Acceleration at any point ~ slope of the Velocity curve at the point

Final Concept: derivative ~ slope

Bottomline: IF given EQUATIONS of the curves, the acceleration curve is the graph of the derivative of the velocity curve since a = dV/dt.

Corollary: Since a graph is at its [local] maximum / minimum when the slope ~ derivative is zero => Acceleration = 0 when (i) the velocity is at its local Max / Min OR (ii) the velocity graph is flat [obviously, for constant velocity, acceleration = 0, yes?!].

Jay.