CSET MATH question

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by atot, Apr 28, 2012.

1. atot

atot Rookie

Apr 28, 2012

Hi, I'm getting ready to take Subtest 1 (Algebra & Number Theory) Math CSET in a week and was wondering if anybody knows how it is administered since I'm not taking the Geometry and I've heard it is administered first? Can I still start working on Algebra while maybe most people will be doing the Geometry Subtest?

Also, the CSET study guide at the cset website does not mention the conic sections - are they also part of Subtest 1? I've seen them listed on cset math guru's website as 1 of the 8 top concepts to master, but there are no conic section questions on the sample test (not counting the parabolas).

Hope somebody can help?
    Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2012

Subtest II, the geometry subtest, is administered first because it's the only one for which a calculator is permitted - but someone who isn't taking Subtest II is more than welcome to start on Subtest I or Subtest III.

It would be surprising to see conic sections emphasized anywhere but on Subtest II.

4. atot

atot Rookie

Apr 28, 2012

Thank you so much!

Good luck to everyone taking the CSET next Saturday!

5. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

May 3, 2012

Parabolas are fair game in Subtest I, but the OTHER Conic Sections appear in Subtest II as part of loci [when the CSET SS Math began, Qs on Subtest I included Conic Secions - not any more!]

Jay.
    http://csetmathguru.weebly.com/

6. hsmathrookie

hsmathrookie New Member

May 7, 2012

Just took the CSET math this weekend, and it is a doosy.
    Dont remember conic sections in the Subset I. Do remember lots of determinant questions and matrix questions.

As far as how it is administered, you will get the test you signed up for....others may start the geometry or Calc test but they will just give you the appropriate one. You will have five hours to complete it. Piece of cake? Nope. Not trying to scare you but it was difficult. Study fields, rings, commutative property and everything else previously mentioned. Also use the cset practice test from the CSET website for a clearer picture of what to expect. Good luck!

7. atot

atot Rookie

May 9, 2012

Thanks hsmathrookie,

I also took the test on Saturday and actually quite enjoyed it. I don't know, I don't think it was that difficult at all... I only had to take about ... maybe 3 educated guesses and was pretty confident on the rest. It took me awhile to finish the multiple choice and write out all the constructed responses though, so I'm glad I only took one test and had all that extra time.

I hope I did well... Does anyone have a guesstimation about what is the max wrong on the MC that you can get away with? (Given that the constructed response is OK)

Thank you

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

May 24, 2012

The rule of thumb is the MC makes up around 70% of the score while the response questions make up the remaining 30%. You need about a 70% to pass so theoretically you can ace the MC and bomb the response questions. Obviously this is just a rough estimate of the scoring criteria and it seems to be true according to the tests I took.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2012

Hi, joeschmoe, and thanks for chiming in on this question, which I missed somehow.

70%/30% is the correct split for CSET Math, I believe (some CSETs split 80%/20%). You're also quite correct to note that one can (theoretically) bomb the constructed responses: that's because the test is scored as a whole, and what matters is accumulating the requisite 220 scaled points however one can.

Of course, one doesn't want to leave the constructed response questions unanswered, since partial credit is available - and that's what makes it difficult to answer definitively any question about how many multiple choice questions can be missed.

10. Fgmd

Fgmd Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

I appeared in Cset 2 math last weekend. The questions were very twisted.. 2hr 30 mins just flew. I did alot of practice. But not sure what is the minimum number of right answers I need to pass.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 12, 2015

If I were to take an Algebra I course, would that cover a bulk of what would appear on CSET 1? Coming from not having taken a Math course in many years. Like anyone else, I just want to pass it.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2015

Algebra I as in high school? Nope, John. College algebra at minimum.