CSET Math - how are the 2 sections weighed?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by DancingBear, Jan 20, 2007.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 5, 2013

a00948019, the Subtest 3 time slot is 2.5 hours, not counting the signing in and other preliminaries.

2. a00948019

a00948019 Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

Following up on CSET Math Subtest II. I received the report yesterday and I passed.

I still believe that subtest II was harder than subtest I. Simply put: Deriving a freaking ellipse/hyperbola involves a convoluted bunch of algebraic steps (whence algebra skills are tested.) I personally found myself doing more algebraic manipulations in some problems in the geometry test that required my working memory to keep track of more variables than in subtest I. Though some people claim that the probability and statistics part in subtest II comes easier compared to number theory, in subtest I, number theory actually requires one to study integers pretty much. Probability and statistics, however, contain a wide arrange of concepts, and a unique way of thinking that is new to many of us as adults, opposed to the "number sense" embedded within number theory that many of us already developed and that can be traced back to earlier stages in our academic repertoire. So, IMHO, I consider Probability and Statistics in subtest II tougher than the Number Theory portion in Subtest I.

I studied for 3 weeks for Subtest I before I felt confident enough to take it. I studied, however, about 7 weeks for Subtest II before feeling confident to take the test.

I ended up doing better in subtest II; I got ++++ in MC, and ++ in constructed response. However, I experienced technical difficulties. THe scanner froze a number of times, leaving me unable to submit my response sheets. I had to waste at least 10 minutes restarting the computer (assistant did this) several times. Although the time is frozen too, calling the assistant and having him come wastes time and is very distracting. At the end of the test I had to hand my answers to the assistant. He scanned them from the front desk and sent them to the CSET headquarters.

I dont have to take Subtest III to meet a deadline for a credential, as I did for subtest I & II, so I will take the third one before completing my credential work (but that will be later during the year I am enrolled in the credential program.)

I hope by then the test is extended from 2.5 to 3.0 hrs =P.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2013

Congratulations on passing, a00948019! I'm grieved to hear about the technical issues, and I hope that gets sorted out for future test takers.

The answer to "Which subtest is most difficult?", in my experience, varies from test taker to test taker - though people whose judgment I trust tell me that they don't consider Subtest III the most challenging.

4. Shawn Bradley

Shawn Bradley New Member

Jun 2, 2013

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum. I am enrolled in a teacher credential program and have passed Csets 1 and 2 for math, respectively. I'm seeking an internship. Some schools start pretty soon. The question I have...how much of a difference will it make if I pass subtest 3 before obtaining an internship. Will it make that much of a difference?
    Thanks

5. Shawn Bradley

Shawn Bradley New Member

Jun 2, 2013

Since I saw the post above me compare test 1 and 2. I will share my own personal experience. I found subtest 2 pretty easy. I remember finishing and having 45 minutes so spare. I think i got a particular easy version of the test that included pretty easy response. The last one was a simple probability tree problem. Subtest one was harder, but only because of the depth required. You literally have to know algebra, algebra 2, precalculus, very elementary number theory, elementary linear algebra, and very elementary abstract algebra.
    For subtest 2 i received 4 stars on every section.
    For subest 1 I received 4 stars for algebra mchoice, 2 for number theory. The mchoice average was 4 stars. And i received 3 stars on c response.
    To people hoping to pass these tests...you can do it! Find the right study guide. I recommend OCDE. The do recycle questions over and over. If you are prepared enough you shouldn't be surprised by anything on the test. For example for number theory cresponse on subtest one, they will almost always ask either about diophontine equations, divisibility proofs, or induction. Good luck to future test takers.

6. a00948019

a00948019 Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

Congratulations, Shawn Bradley!

I think we both got the same Subtest II, test, or at least the last c response question was the same style. The first c response question gave some coordinates and asked to find something about the way they related each other, using concepts of perpendicularity and midpoint formula. I am very positive that the coordinates I was given had some sort of typo. That's why the answer did not come right. I pointed it out, but after receiving the score report, I ended up not getting a check mark. Who knows?...

As for the comparison between I and II, I found probability and statistics preparation harder, as I started from scratch. For subtest I, I was familiar with almost every topic.

REgarding the internship, what do you mean by an "internship"?
    I will be starting my credential program this summer, and conclude next summer. According to what I was told, student teaching will be assigned starting in August 2013, and every cred. candidate may fulfill that requirement by either taking the assignment, or finding his/her own assignment (subject to be approved based on experience, district, and other factors...)

Lastly, I think you meant "Diophantine equations."

Good luck!

7. Shawn Bradley

Shawn Bradley New Member

Jun 2, 2013

Thanks for correctly spelling diophantine equations! Don't want to make that mistake in front of students!
    The program I am in does not require passage of Csets before student teaching. I just completed my student teaching and am now seeking an internship. There is a big job fair here with many prospective employers on July 10. So I'm wondering, how much of a difference/how much more marketable will I be if I pass subtest 3 before that date?

8. a00948019

a00948019 Rookie

Aug 6, 2014

Mathmaestro, or Shawn Bradley, would you mind sharing content of your CSET III test version, without violating the rules of the forum/NES ? Any hints would greatly be appreciated. FYI, I am weak in series and convergence tests. How many of these bad boys came in your tests? I am taking the test on August 11th.
    thank you.

9. a00948019

a00948019 Rookie

Aug 9, 2014

hi?

10. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 11, 2014

Hi a00948019. How was your exam? Is 2.5 hours enough to finish the exam? Thanks.