CSET July 21, 2007

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by jazzminjoy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

CSETs are designed so that a test taker who's well prepared and good at test taking can pass in one go, but they're all designed so that a test taker who's not as confident can spread things out. I think that's a fairly civilized arrangement, as these things go.

Enjoy your camping, gestalt! A toast to you in s'mores!

2. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I agree with gestalt about how helpful this site has been. Thanks to all of you, especially TeacherGroupie. I don't know when you sleep, but you are amazing, whoever you are! Thanks for all the words of wisdom. I had an hour to spare, and I took all four English subtests. I just kept telling myself to RTFQ...

On that note, good night and good luck!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

RTFQ??

You're welcome.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

A post elsewhere reminds me to mention this: Those who are already sure they will need to retake CSET in September should nevertheless hold off on signing up till the July results are released - the late registration fee is automatically waived for retakers.

5. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I think I know what RTFQ might mean but it is a bit vulgar! :eek:

6. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

I so love google. And the answer is "read the full question."

7. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Jarenko! Shame on you. Why, the rest of the ladies on this forum don't even think anything vulgar--ever! :D (Can I interest you in some land in Florida?)

8. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Oh uh..."full question". Hee hee. Boy is my face red. :p

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

Shades of the Stephen Sondheim song: "But, oh, can that boy... foxtrot."

10. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

How did you know when the next CSET date is? The website STILL has the old information.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

12. beavis

beavis Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I wonder when CSET will allow us to register for the Sept 15th test date?

Perhaps sometime later this week?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

Possibly not till the last minute or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

14. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

That link is no longer valid?? Oh, bother.

Either it's a link one can't access directly (I may have gotten to it by searching for "ctc exam pass rate cbest" or something of the like), or it got pulled just today, because I did go online to find it, really I did...

16. beavis

beavis Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Link worked fine for me Teachergroupie..........

Alternatively, go to the CSET home page, click on test dates and scroll down, the 2007-8 dates are there.......

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

18. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 23, 2007

I took Science CSET II in Woodland Hills. It was okay and I think I passed. I am going to take a week off from studying then gor for Subtest III in Biology. Hope everybody passed.

19. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

To pick up on a point mentioned above, re CSET Pass Rates, this CSET link [pages 17-19] offers associated statistics for the various CSET Subtests - though its a bit "dated".

Also, the Success Rates stated are cumulative.

Translation: what % of fellows signed up in a ~ 2 and half year period passed (however many times a chap took the test!) in that interval?

Surprise [or not!]: the Foundation Math Subtests had the lowest strike rate amongst all Tests from Jan '03 - Sep '05: 36.5%! The most recent year for which the % were available - Sep. '04 - July '05 - sported a worse result: 29.2%.

Remember: this % does not factor test repeats, and signifies the "eventual" Pass Rate!

This would imply that the % of candidates who pass in their very 1st attempts is likely to be considerably lower than 36.5%...SNIFF.

For those - like me - that revel in statistical analysis [OK, it's not anything remotely sophisticated in this case!], the appendices [C3 and C4 on Pages 41 and 42] give breakdowns by Ethnicity. Gender, College GPA, College Location [In / Outside CA], and Education Level

Moral: there are NO short cuts. Sustained practice and diligent application are MUSTS!

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

PS. As I just finished posting this, in the other "window", I received an ecstatic email from a CSET Subtest II "client" [why she was happy shall be somewhat suppressed lest it be construed as "self-promotion", ha!] which, amongst other things said:

this test was about the 3rd or 4th time taken between all of them

and she was referring to 4 other candidates she'd met at the Test site.

Oh, did I mention: Sustained practice and diligent application are MUSTS!

20. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

I continue to be staggered by the number of non-Math / -Science majors that sign up to SS Math Subtest I and II and subsequently grouse about the inadequate time after consuming 4+ hours for Subtest II.

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

21. jennyscout

jennyscout Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Prediction for English CSET

I took the July CSET for English and I was woefully underprepared. I was guessing on much of Subtest I. I studied for it using the SparkNotes AP Powerpack which is awesome, but for someone like me who doesn't have an English degree and is a little short in the classics I have read, I struggled. I had a hard time applying the different literary criticisms to the text. Structuralism, what is that really?

So I'm gonna predict that I didn't pass I, but passed the II, III, IV. I might be a freak but I actually enjoyed writing the essays and feel I lucked out because the literature for the essays was pretty easy to interpret. Tip for Subset III - If you don't understand the first passage, read the second one because it might help you with the theme of both works.

22. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I think I will probably pass but if not I definitely want another crack at this one! Although I lament having to spend another several hours in a hot little classroom listening to teachers whine outside about their lives. :|

23. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

If I don't pass, I'm telling you what the "F" in RTFQ really stands for!

24. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 28, 2007

:eek: :eek:

25. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I wonder and guess will never know if the CSET Math subtest 1 was made a little easier. If so, it may have been gradually over time or all of a sudden on the July 2007 test date.

Maybe when the statisticians showed their analysis of the pass rate data, the test makers or CA Teacher Credentialing people thought it unfair that the math pass rate was so much lower than the pass rest of the other subject tests. (Or maybe they had bad experiences with their math teachers and were delighted that the pass rates were miserable!)

If they thought it was unfair and decided to do something, they could either lower the pass rate (unlikely) or make the test easier.

Or maybe the test isn't any easier. I heard so many horror stories about the test, and even though I don't know if I passed, I didn't think the test was unfair or too difficult. Maybe it's because I studied diligently for months using several books, software, and online resources, took a prep course, and ordered additional materials.

The amount of knowledge one has to know, understand, and be able to apply is enormous. However, I don't think the test was overly hard.

So, either the test doesn't deserve its horror reputation, it got easier, or its not too bad for those well-prepared.

26. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

TG,

That link worked. Thank you. I use Mozilla Firefox (love those tabs and speed). Maybe the other link would only work with Internet Explorer.

Wow, the report is interesting. It would have been nice to see totals for all single subject tests combined. The Teaching Foundations Exam had the lowest pass rates for math, too. Maybe there is a conspiracy against future math teachers. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Did you know 5 out of 4 people are bad with math? :lol:

As an aside, the report has breakdowns by ethnicity. I wonder if everyone always put "decline to state" when asked about race/ethnicity we would finally become colorblind?

27. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

:lol: That is too funny!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

Does not, either, Jay: please reread the doc. 29.2% was the pass rate for first timers in that window. The cumulative pass rate ("eventual pass rate"), even for Foundational-Level Math, is higher.

29. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

According to the report, on page 18, for Foundational Level Math, is the following:
    Cumulative Pass Rate: 36.5%
    Annual (9/2004 to 7/2005) Pass Rate: 29.2%

So, TG, Jay is right. But you are, too. The annual pass rate is only cumulative within that year. It may be first-time test takers or not.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

(muttering darkly while reluctantly adding another tick to the week's tally of misstakes and mistatements - um, misteaks and misstatments - um, booboos)

Oh, all right...

31. calexis

calexis New Member

Jul 30, 2007

Hi

I am a new member and my district just had a blanket lay off of all non-tenured teachers due to declining enrollment. Since the district (one of the largest other than LA) only offers tenure to Math, Science and Special Ed., many of us lost our jobs. Luckily I was plucked from the ranks of the newly unemployed and informed that I was being rehired as a Math Apprentice (gulp!!). I have a Multiple credential, but for the last 3 years I have been teaching Algebra Support and CAHSEE Math at our alternative high school and I really enjoy it.

However, I know Number Sense...NOT Number Theory. I have one year to pass the CSET. Reading your posts I am beginning to doubt that I with no math background have any chance of passing. I never went beyond beginning College Algebra and that was 20 years ago. I have been told not to waste my time studying basic high school Algebra or even College Algebra. I have loads of books and I have "studied" Jay's website. My district will pay for me to take the LACOE prep courses (has anyone taken them?).

Is it possible? Especially considering such low passage rates. Should I develop a foundation of basic Algebra concepts or should I just start tackling the concepts that all of you have discussed as being covered on the test?

Thanks,

calexis

32. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

TG, please don't count your mistakes. You're awesome! You're also human. Now if you counted your blessings and the myriad ways you help people, you'd be counting all day long.

Calexis,
    Like you, I have been out of college many years and felt the Math CSET would be extremely difficult to pass. This is my advice:

1. Definitely take the prep course that is being offered.

2. Do one subtest at a time. What follows is for subtest 1.

3. Obtain Schaum's Pre-Calculus asap. Try half.com, ebay, amazon, or your local bookstore. It's about $20.

4. Go to a used book store and get a college algebra text and a pre-calculus text. There will be much overlap. The algebra text should be friendly and inviting. The pre-calc should be meaty and used for things that the algebra text misses or doesn't adequately cover. See Jay's notes on text advice.

4.5 Get the Orange County Board of Education math CSET book for $35. It isn't well-organized, but does a great job of explaining Algebraic Structures and other things.

5. After you study for awhile, get the sample test (not official) for $20 at www.csetmath.com. (It's an online text with immediate delivery.)

6. Make a commitment to study every day.

7. Develop a love and appreciation for the material. This will make studying an enjoyment and a breeze. (The binomial theorem and remainder theory are pretty cool--you will see.)

8. Jay (innovationguy) claims (buried on his site) that people who purchased his materials have so far had a 100% pass rate. I can't personally recommend for or against them because I didn't purchase them. Maybe if he had some sample pages on his site you could better decide (subtle hint, Jay). However, if I had a time limit and a job on the line, I would spring for the $150 and buy them.

9. Check ebay for Thinkwell. If you can get the College Algebra or Pre-Calculus cheap, do so. It is so cool--video instruction on CD-Rom plus a website for notes, sample problems, and quizzes. (You need a code to access the course website. If you buy used, the code might be used (invalid). Even without the website, though, the Thinkwell programs are great. Plus, they will provide ideas on how you can teach the material because you are watching a teacher.)

The Schaum's and College Algebra review basic Algebra. That will all come back to you in a breeze. Then start tackling the test material. It's the harder stuff like logs and conic sections that took me awhile to learn.

Congratulations on being one of the lucky ones to survive the layoffs. You can and will pass the Math CSET. It is not as horrible as everyone is making it out to be.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2007

That's incredibly sweet of you.

The same can be said of teacher tests in general: the hype-and-hysteria reliably exceeds the reality.

34. calexis

calexis New Member

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks a lot for the information. The Thinkwell books were a little hard to find but I did find some used ones at Amazon.com and Borders is going to see if they can order them. I bought the Schaum's Outlines and I also found "Paul's Notes".

I want to try for the November Algebra test. I guess that I will resurface in a few weeks when school begins. BTW, I had one of those "great" mom moments when I was actually able to help my daughter study for her Algebra final tomorrow. What a kick!

Anyway thanks again.

35. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I passed CSET Social Sci I, II, III last year!

no no, i'm not tooting my own horn...(let me tell ya, III was the hardest test of my LIFE! Econ is NOT my forte)...BUT, i do offer some help for social science test-takers...if any social science test takers can head down to the Orange County Department of Ed this week, they sell TERRIFIC CSET study guides. you can buy them separately by subtest or buy the whole set for around $100...yeah they're kinda pricey, but i credit my passing the test to the study guides...if you're not planning on taking any subtests this week, i do believe you can also order them through their website or mail order them...

good luck to everyone taking the CSET this weekend or any future weekends! its a doozey, and i've taken it enough times to know. *cough* :eek:

P.S. OCDE also has study guides for all the rest of the Single Subject CSETs! So give 'em a try! =)

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

CSET this weekend?? It's July 30 as I type.

37. roberts3206

roberts3206 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Hey, does anyone know when the scores come out? I went to check the CSET website, and the registration bulletin is now the 2007-2008 one, so July 07 is not included. :eek: Even searched the site but couldn't find it.

Thanks for any help,
    Diane

38. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Aug 13, 2007

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2007

Yes, scores are to be issued August 20.

40. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Aug 13, 2007