CSET July 19th

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by bubblyjill, Jul 9, 2008.

1. bubblyjill

bubblyjill Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Hi Everyone,

So I am still studying for the CSET July 19th. I went ahead and paid to take all three subtests (I think I'm in over my head). Today I took the first practice test out of the Cliffs prep book and I'm finding that the problem seems to be that I'm not proficient in the subject matter. My worst subjects are History, Science and all of subtest 3. I seem to do alright with the English portion and the math portion of the practice tests. I'm completely overwhelmed and I just have a little more than a week left to prepare. Any suggestions as how to organize my studies, thoughts, etc., would be helpful. My goal at this point is to be able to pass two sections when I go in july 19th. I am just so overwhelmed. Furthermore I'm going to feel like such a failure if I can't pass any of the three. HELP PLEASE.:confused:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2008

Hugs to you, bubblyjill. Try using the Internet: when you come across a scientific term or historical event or whatever that you just don't know, look it up on Answers.com (http://www.answers.com), which is very good with quick answers.

4. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Oh bubblyjill.........I was exactly where you are about two months ago. Bad news......the test is tough........Good news.... I did it and so can you. Spend two days really cracking down on each subtest. Use your sample tests in Cliffs and the sample tests online. MOST IMPORTANT......listen to what TeacherGroupie tells you, he has supported and helped many of us through this exam. His assistance is golden to you right now....we are all blessed to have him out there. PM me if you need a pep talk or there is anything I can do for you.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2008

Um, last time I checked I was female... but thanks for the vote of confidence, glamis.

6. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Oops, got way confused!! So, so, so sorry!!!

7. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

You will do great! Just keep taking the practice tests...those really helped me. Also, for history...it was helpful for me to make a time line (well, it actually was multiple time lines due to the numerous events). This way you can see the "big picture" which helped me a lot!

I took all three at once and passed the first time. It is difficult, but prepare yourself the day of. Make sure you eat a really good breakfast and be prepared to sit there the entire time. While taking the test, remind yourself that you will be done in five hours and just force yourself to focus entirely during that time. Honestly, the hardest part for me was sustaining my focus and attention without a break for such a lengthy period of time.

Oh, and remember that each subtest is graded as a whole. So, for example: subtest with history and reading/writing...if you are stronger in reading, you do not necessarily have to be as strong in history. That might help a little. My biggest advice though is to do as many practice tests as you can. It will help you understand the format of the test, get you used to the endurance it requires and hopefully you will come across some of the practice questions on the real test! ;)

Good luck!!!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2008

It makes a good deal of sense to take at least one break, especially if one is taking all three subtests. There are no SCHEDULED breaks, but that doesn't mean you can't get excused to the potty... and your brain and body are likely to function better if you do.

Don't expect questions that ask you for the definition of some term, but do expect questions that expect you to know what the term means and to apply it en route to reasoning out an answer.

9. bubblyjill

bubblyjill Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Thank you guys so much for all of your kind words. I think today I'm going to start on another practice test. Wish me luck and please keep emailing me with the support it helps tremendously. Soemtimes I feel like my non-teacher friends just don't get it.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2008

Many hugs, bubblyjill.

How good are you at puzzles?

11. bubblyjill

bubblyjill Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

What kind of puzzles?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

Any kind of puzzles: jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, Sudoku, logic puzzles, adapting recipes or altering clothes, ...

13. aaronmac

aaronmac Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Jill where are you taking the test? I am taking it the same day and I am in same spot as you worried if I will pass anything and such. I need to pass and get a contract in order to stay in my internship program come the fall so this is really weighing on my mind.

14. Mark945

Mark945 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

I am also taking the test on July 19th, and this is what I have heard from a few people...if you study you will pass...the test is not looking for a genius level understanding, but rather, just wants to make sure that you have a general, basic knowledge of the content areas. It is a hard test nonetheless, that require a lot of studying, but simply because of the amount of information on it. I feel like a lot of people think they need to ACE the test to pass it, when in reality you can probably miss a decent amount of questions and still pass. I have been studying using KAPLAN (almost exclusively) for the last 5 weeks by rereading sections and taking a practice tests every single day...i think i have a good chance at passing. thoughts?

15. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Mark,
    Kaplan is great, if you have been using it and studying that much you will pass no problem.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

Kaplan works for some people and not for others, and that's normal.

I'd recommend spending some time looking for connections between the test material and your everyday life. Be aware also that prep books may ask about the material in different ways than do the questions on the actual test - you may never be asked explicitly to define the water cycle, for example, but the chances are very good that you'll see a question in which the water cycle figures prominently.

17. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2008

Make index cards with facts that you find hard to remember.
    I did this for the last week of studying and carried them around Everywhere! I found colored ones and had a different color for different subjects. You will be surprised how many opportunities you will have to whip them out and start studying. Good luck to you! You can do it!
    PS. I was only one of two people taking all three subtests at once in my classroom and thought "wow, what did I do?", but I passed all three. You can, too.

18. Mark945

Mark945 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Yes, I am just worried you know? I really want to pass so that I don't feel like the last month of studying has been a waste. How is the test scored? Is it true that you can miss a fair number of questions? I have been aiming to try to get all the questions right on my practice tests, but I was just wondering how well I really have to perform on the actual test to earn a passing score.

19. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Here is the link to how the test is scored. :)

20. Mark945

Mark945 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

thanks dragonfly!

So i was also looking for some suggestions on studying for right now. I have pretty much familiarized myself with everything in the Kaplan book to the point where I know that if I am asked something on an area covered in Kaplan that I will be able to answer that question correctly, I have taken and done well on all practice tests I have taken (kaplan, cset website, and another free practice test) and have found the answers to the questions i have gotten wrong...I am just wondering, what else should I do for the week? Do you think it would be a good idea to buy another test prep book and do those practice tests? just wondering what anyone else would do...i feel prepared but i dont want to just sit around and do nothing for the next week? :)

21. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Hmmm...have you done all of the constructed response practice as well? Could you have someone quiz you? I would continue to go over things to keep it all fresh in your mind...just maybe not to the extreme that you were before you felt ready. Get plenty of rest!! That is all I can think of for now... Sounds like you will do great!

22. Mark945

Mark945 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks for the advice dragonfly...I want the test to be tomorrow so that I can just take it and get it over with...win lose or draw...ill have an entire month before i have to worry about the cset again...and if i pass...hopefully never again

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

If you find yourself noticing things in the news or in your everyday life that remind you of what you've been studying, you're probably going to come out well. If you don't, start looking for things in the news or in your everyday life that...

24. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

No more books. Let your brain rest a little, do a little review two and three nights before. Don't overload yourself. If you did all you said, you are ready!!

25. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Jul 18, 2008

Best of luck. I used the Kaplan study guide, with the practice tests I think I was overprepared. Took all 3 at the same time. What a headache.

26. shalini35

shalini35 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I took my CSET III yesterday. How did everybody do? Hopefully we all did well!! :)

27. NIKKI7

NIKKI7 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I also took CSET Subset III and I'm not sure how I did. There were some questions on there that I was like huh? I'm also not sure about the responses, I did respond to all 3 but I'm not just if they had enough subject matter info as they would like to see. I'm hoping for the best!!! Hopefully we PASSED.

I'm now going to start preparing for subset I, does anybody have any tips, suggestions etc?

28. aaronmac

aaronmac Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I took all 3 multiple subject subsets and I think I did okay. There were some questions I had no idea about but I think I still figured them out by process of elimination on the multiple choice section. Will have to wait until August 11 to find out.

29. shalini35

shalini35 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Some of the questions on Subset III were a little tricky. However, I did narrow the choices down to the ones I thought were the best choice possible. I guess I will have to wait until Aug to see if I made the right answer choice!

I was a little disappointed they didn't ask many questions regarding musical notation. I put in extra time to stuff for that section, oh well! :mellow:

30. aaronmac

aaronmac Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I was glad there were no music questinos on scale etc as that was a really weak area of mine. Do you remember which trest you took? I had version A.

31. shalini35

shalini35 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I had version A also. How did you feel about the questions?

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2008

(clearing throat meaningfully)

Please don't discuss specific questions, okay?

33. NIKKI7

NIKKI7 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I also had version A. I spent lots of time on the music section because it was one of my weakest subjects and I was dissappointed that there were no questions on musical notation!!! Oh well. I thought the wording of some of the questions was a little different than those on the Cliff Notes and Kaplan but if you broke them down it was asking for similar content.

34. aaronmac

aaronmac Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I felt that most of the questions were pretty staright forward. Some of them I had no idea about. Some I tihnk you just have to slow down and really think about things and compare answers etc.

35. T.A.

T.A. Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Materils to study

Hi, Bubblyjill,
    Have you tried using Everything You Need To Know About English, or History. They're great study guides from Scholastic.
    I used them and well, I'm waiting for the August 11, results.

T.A.