CSET HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Teacher24, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Teacher24

Teacher24 New Member

Jan 11, 2008

Okay so I have been studying for a month straight for this test. I found out late that I needed to take it to get into the credential program. However as much as I have studied, on all on-line/book practice tests I get a range of 40%-77%. Each practice test includes different information or details that I haven't studied. Needless to say I am completely freaking out. Tomorrow is the test... and I need the truth. Are the practice tests harder than the actual thing? Does it look like I will fail? I am taking all 3 subtests at once and I am just.... scared.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2008

Breathe, please.

Focus less on the specific details than on how you can use them to puzzle out answers - CSET-MS is less about what you know than about what you can do with what you know.

Take at least one break during testing time, no matter how terrified about time management you are.

4. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

There is so much to know on the MS CSET. I just started working with the CSET MS. I am using a tutor Dr. Frances Sussna. 1-650-595-8982. She's great!

John

5. hpy2bme

hpy2bme New Member

Oct 13, 2009

Linda

I also used Frances Sussna to help me pass the English Single Subject CSET exam. She is really excellent! Her phone is 650-283-7955.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2009

An unusual first post, hpy2bme, in a striking place, but welcome to A to Z and congratulations on passing CSET English.

7. ~Nic~

~Nic~ Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

You'll be fine! I finished all 3 tests with plenty of time to spare. Really, some questions will just take you less than a minute to mark and there are only 52 multiple choice questions per subset (less on fine arts/pe/human development). Just relax!! I didn't go in knowing everything and there were quite a few things I chose to skip due to time and information overload. One of the subjects I chose to skip appeared in the constructed response section! I still passed.

You will be fine. :)

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

Thanks for those tips Nic! I really appreciate it.

Which subject in Subtest 3 did you find the easiest/most difficult? How intensive were the constructed response questions? I am not too confident in those areas though. Did you have to know any technical vocabulary aside from what was covered in the test books?

Thanks!

9. ~Nic~

~Nic~ Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

This is really embarrassing, but the lowest scores for my constructed responses were in science and math. Ok, that doesn't sound too bad by itself until you find out I am engineer. :O Anyhow, I did not study math at all; I probably should have refreshed my memory of all the proper terms for math rules. I was able to solve the problems, but I was unable to say exactly which rules applied. In science, I did not study the human body and there was a question on that. I explained how it worked without using anything more technical than the word "oxygen". :) So, I basically blew two questions on the technical aspect, but they obviously figured I either knew enough or I had the basics down and could figure out the rest. My PE response was only about 4 sentences. :-/ They told me I should have used more examples. Again, I still passed. Overall, my technical vocabulary was not the greatest. However, I grasp concepts. I will say I was glad I reviewed the spelling response on the cset website the night before.

All of the subtests seemed fine. There will be ones you can answer in seconds and others you have no idea. Just skip those and come back if you have time. I am a good test taker, but I am probably a bit too...hmmm...ADD for some. I will get bored of the multiple choice and skip to the constructed response, go back the MC and then back to the CR. I also tend to skip around to calm my mind about what is ahead. When I can see the questions, my mind will start mulling over the response as I am working through the rest of the test. However, I did force myself to finish one test before starting another. :)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2009

I'm not sure I see a problem in mixing up the questions, actually, if one's brain works that way...

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 16, 2009

Thank you Nic! I guess you just go with whatever works for you. Congrats on passing.

I need to brush up on those technical terms and hoping that I use them correctly, in terms of knowing their correct definitions and how to use them in the proper context.