CSET General Science part 2

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Exclaimation Po, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 24, 2009

Ok. I still have not passed. This time I scored 217. I didn't pass either of the constructed response and my "+" scores on the back were weird. Evidently I'm not studying correctly. :confused:

So, do test prep classes work? I think UC Riverside might have some classes. I really need another direction.

What are the books that help most? I'm desperate. :dizzy:

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2009

From your score, it sounds like if you had done well on either of the CR questions you would have passed.

IMHO at best a prep course will show you what to study. I suggest you just get the appropriate prep materials from Orange County Department of Education. I used them for Biology, and although there was a lot of boiler plate, they were pretty much spot on, even if I did need to fill in a little detail from other sources.

If you know what is in a current high school biology text, you should be able to do well on both the constructed response questions.

OCDE has prep classes. Don't know if they fit your schedule.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2009

A prep class can also give guidance in how to frame a constructed response.

ExPo, what alphabet soup are you seeing on your constructed responses?

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 25, 2009

Malcolm I've looked at the OCDE classes, but I'm not sure they'll work for me. It's kinda far from me. I have a middle school life science book (student and TE) and used that to study for my last two CSETs. Didn't help much. The parts of the Gen Sci II test I'm having problems with are Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics and Structure & Property of Matter. I've looked at the books offered by OCDE, but don't know which would help me.

TeacherGroupie It looks like this:
    Eco ++ (unusually low)
    Gen & Evo +++ (about the same)
    Mol Bio & BioChem ++++ (higher than usual)
    Cell & Org Bio ++ (unusually low)
    Heat Trans & Thermo +++ (higher than usual)
    Matter ++ (same)
    *overall +++*

For the CR's
    Mol Bio/Biochem k
    Cell & OrgBio k
    *overall ++*

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2009

Ah. The k's tell me either you need to beef up your knowledge of terminology, or you need to be more aggressive about deploying it - probably the latter, given the ++++ in molecular bio/biochem multiple choice alongside the k in constructed response. Remember that you don't have to write an essay in the classic sense and that you're writing for people who know the field but want to understand your thinking on the question.

The + marks divide their universes into quartiles. I don't think these are classic box-and-whisker quartiles where your performance is being compared to everyone else's, because darned little else in teacher-test scoring works that way. Instead, I think the quartiles reflect percent correct: + up to 25%, ++ up to 50%, and so on. But don't quote me.

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 26, 2009

Ok, so evidently what I'm doing to study isn't enough. What would you suggest? Any specific books? I've looked for classes near me, but there don't seem to be any (or my Google-fu is out of whack).

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2009

It could be what you're doing to study, but it could also be how you're framing your constructed responses.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

Could also be subject matter knowledge. The CR performance isn't up to the MC performance in biology. It is one thing to be able to pick the correct answer out of four possibilities. It is another thing to be able to rattle off the relevant facts about something. I remember having a CR question that required one to be able to identify the organelles in a cell, know their functions, and know their relationships to other organelles. Contrast that with a MC question that asks which of four possible functions applies to a particular organelle.

10. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

Malcolm I've had that CR question. That could have answered!

TeacherGroupie Well, what I've done is cross referenced the CSET domains with the CA content standards then researched the content standard. I have this 17 page document of all this stuff.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

Overall approach sounds good to me. It is basically what I did.

It looks like there are two paths to achieving a passing score here. You can work on bringing up your score in the MC section in the domains you didn't do well on. Or you can work on bringing up your score on the CR section. IIWY I would spend most of my time on the former. It is possible to pass this subtest without a single point from the CR section, and you are already getting some points from there. But you know your circumstances better than I...