CSET: Foundation Level Math

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Constantine, May 19, 2005.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2009

Yes, if you pass CSET, you are NCLB "highly qualified" in California.

2. BFS48

BFS48 Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

Quick question .... is membership in NCTM worth the price?

3. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I'v been a member of NCTM since Feb. , 2003, and I have learned a lot of things as a member. It costs you only about $70 a year. I'm going to write a full set of problems with my math club students for the Calender section.

4. kalehla

kalehla New Member

Nov 4, 2010

We do have high school teachers with foundational math credentials. The come from our middle schools and were transferred over to the high school when they were needed this year. They are currently teaching Alg 1, Alg 1 with support and Geometry, although they are authorized to teach as high as Alg 2. For those of us with the single subject credential, we teach the higher math classes.

5. Galois

Galois Companion

Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for this information Kalehla. As soon as I'm done with Subtest 2 I will apply for a Foundational Math credential but using the internship route.

6. CMC

CMC New Member

Nov 5, 2010

I would like to add the foundational level math credential to my multiple subject credential, but I am unable to find a local college offering classes for spring. Cal State Fullerton only offers a summer course. If you have any information that could help, I would be most appreciative! Thank you:)

7. Galois

Galois Companion

Nov 5, 2010

Hi CMC. Are you referring to the Prep. classes prior to taking CSET Math exams? A lot of members here, if you check archives, did not have to attend those classes, although for some it may help a lot.

8. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Nov 27, 2010

Sorry, you are misinformed, California isn't desperate for any type of teacher at the moment. There is a surplus in every single field with the possible exception of Special Ed. Math doesn't have as big a surplus as other fields, but districts are still far from desperate right now. I have a full Math credential earned through the CSETs and have applied to the few openings I've seen, only to get rejection letters telling me of the large number of applicants they had to select from.

Good luck.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2010

My sympathies, MacGuffin. It's worth noting that loveeducation's post is, as of November 2010, a couple of years old.

10. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Nov 30, 2010

Ha, serves me right for not looking at the date of the post. Thought it was a new thread.

At any rate it still serves as first-hand advice (like the guy at the rest area in the Grapes of Wrath) to anybody who thinks they can come out here to California these days to make an easy fortune.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

There's certainly that, MacGuffin.

12. RThomas

RThomas New Member

Nov 6, 2011

Foundational Math vs. Math Single Subject Credential

I am finishing my Single Subject Foundational Level Math. I was not a math major and it had been 15 years since my last math class when I started the credential program, so I opted for the Foundational Level Math Credential as a starting point. When I got my first student teaching assignment at a high school, my master teacher was less than enthusiastic about the fact that I "only had a foundational level" credential and told me that I could only teach algebra 1 and geometry. This was puzzling to me because the CSET Subtest I and II included Algebra II and Pre-Calc. If I was tested on my knowledge of this, then why couldn't I teach it? As others mentioned above, it should really be Calculus and Math Analysis that are excluded, not Algebra II or Pre-Calc, but this experience showed me that the foundational level credential can be frowned upon by your peers. This semester there was an opening at a local high school, but they were only accepting applications for the math credential, not foundational-level. Like others have said, middle schools or junior highs are more accepting. I would be interested to know what percentage of current high school teachers have a math credential versus foundational level math credential. I have read that the foundational level credential is fairly new and was created because of an urgent need for math teachers, so I suppose that each school and/or area is going to be different on their acceptance depending on their options of applicants. I'm a teacher before I'm a mathematician and the way I look at it is that once I get a few years of teaching foundational level under my belt, then I will take the Subtest III to increase my marketability... in the meantime, I hope that administrators hire great teachers that show the motivation to increase their knowledge in subject matter in the future.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2011

According to the CTC, the holder of a Foundational-level Math credential IS authorized to teach Algebra II. On the other hand, according to the CTC it's possible to substitute teach with just CBEST and a bachelor's degree, but in practice many districts are requiring that substitutes hold full credentials.

14. lstsound

lstsound New Member

Nov 13, 2011

job prospects with added math credential

I have a Clear Multiple Subject Credential, but have had difficulty finding elementary-school employment in the Los Angeles Area, so I'm considering adding a Single Subject Math credential by passing the required CSET exams (Parts 1 & 2 first for a Foundation level credential, then probably 3 later). This is a realistic prospect for me to accomplish within a year-or-so, but is doing so worth the investment of time/energy from an employability point-of-view at this time?

I have read that there is expected demand for math teachers in California (at the TEACH California website, for instance) and I have seen a handful of recent postings on EdJOIN, but I would be interested to know...

1) if there are other reliable sources that I should consult regarding the job outlook,
    2) what individuals working/searching in this field think about this topic, and
    3) whether there are other forums on which I should also inquire.

I need work so I want to make a sensible choice about whether or not to pursue this credential right now.

Any information would be much appreciated.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2011

What grades or levels would you be qualified to teach?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2011

Alice, the Foundational-level Math credential allows one to teach math up through Algebra II.

lstsound, welcome to A to Z. Math is reasonably high-demand as credentials go - but the employment picture for teachers right now is fairly dismal.

Have you looked at the online materials for CSET Math?

17. lstsound

lstsound New Member

Nov 13, 2011

Yes, I have looked at the descriptions and sample questions on the CSET website. I would need to do some review and study, but it is feasible. I'm allowing a year of preparation given that I have other part-time obligations. I just don't want to spend that time without having gauged the employment outlook first.

I know that the general employment picture for teachers is presently very bleak, but I'm wondering about math specifically. Occasional math postings appear on EdJOIN for the Los Angeles region, but I don't know how many people are competing for those jobs, or whether having a Foundation (or even a full Single Subject) credential is really sufficient in itself to compete for them.

Thanks for any tips that might help me to get a better sense of the realities.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2011

(No disrespect intended in my asking whether you'd looked at the materials. Sometimes people honestly haven't figured out they're there.)

I would certainly expect math to be a hotter commodity than most other single subjects, if for no better reason than that math IS tested, and CSET Math is the most challenging of the CSETs (at least in my view).

It might make sense to go chat up the people at the county office of education, to see if someone there might be willing to venture an off-the-record guess as to employment prospects. It's worth noting also that LA County is a rather large place: if you're somewhat relocatable, you might want to see whether Lancaster or any of the communities in that neck of the woods might be hiring.

Are you fond of math?

19. lstsound

lstsound New Member

Nov 13, 2011

I am very fond of math, but firstly I am fond of teaching. I am somewhat relocatable—Lancaster is within striking distance. My spouse works near LA, but we would consider moving to a location from which we could both commute.

Thanks, TeacherGroupie, for the useful suggestion about visiting the county office.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2011

Fond of teaching + fond of math works very nicely. (Another of those gotta-ask questions.)

Since LA County is as big as it is, it wouldn't surprise me to find that "the county office of education" is several offices in several places; you might consider confirming whether this is so and then checking in with each, since conditions could well differ from place to place (not to mention from district to district).

21. TeachingTime

TeachingTime Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

As you know, the teaching job market (like many other job markets) is in a bit of a slump right now, but single subject math teaching positions are one of the better opportunities. If you check out http://www.teachingjobsportal.com, which is a resource sponsored by USC's Rossier School of Education, you'll find that math is currently an area listed in California as having "general shortages," meaning there are jobs available.

Personally, I know several single subject math teachers who recently got hired (one at a private school, two at public/charter schools), so I think it's definitely an area worth pursuing, especially if you are already passionate about teaching math.

22. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Nov 27, 2011

I live in LA and earned a Math credential with the CSETs on top of my multiple subject a few years ago now.

I would highly recommend the process if you want to ever work again, but be advised that if you don't have a math background it is a lot of work. In the LA area you stand a decent shot at getting a math teaching job with a charter school even today. A few years down the road math at public districts might open up a bit as well, whereas elementary will probably never open up in our lifetimes.

23. black dog

black dog Rookie

Nov 28, 2011

Math in morning or afternoon?

I want to register for the Math CSET on January 7 but I can't find anywhere if it's in the morning or afternoon. I assume it's afternoon, and I'll be busy that afternoon so I'd like to know for sure before I register. I've been all over the CSET website and can't find it, I've even gone all through the registration process up to where it asks my credit card number but didn't want to if I can't make it.

Does anyone know? I guess I'm under the assumption that Multiple is always in the morning and Single Subjects are in the afternoon.

Thanks.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 29, 2011

According to http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS17_whatsnew.asp, CSET single subject exams (which are all still paper-based) are now all given in the morning session, except for one of the CSET LOTE ASL subtests.

CSET multiple subject subtests USED to be given in the morning, but as of September 2011 CSET-MS is offered solely as a computer-based test, so it's no longer on the paper-based test schedule.

25. JazzMath

JazzMath Rookie

Nov 29, 2011

Reporting time is 7:30 AM. I assume the test is 8:00-1:00.

JM

26. samk

samk Rookie

Nov 29, 2011

CSET MATH

Hi,

Do you mind telling me about how you prepared yourself for both cset math subtest 1 & 2 in detail. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 29, 2011

What's your background in math, samk?

28. black dog

black dog Rookie

Nov 30, 2011

Thank you JazzMath and TG. I have anniversary plans with my wife that evening and so wouldn't be able to take an afternoon test. Now I can get the test out of the way in the morning and have a good time, thanks!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2011

Glad to be of service, black dog, and happy anniversary in advance!

30. calilumber

calilumber Rookie

Dec 26, 2011

I actually have the same question.

I am not samk, but I do have the same question. I am 42, currently enrolled in the APU adult extension program.

I am on schedule to graduate from APU Dec. 2012, with a BA in Human Development. This is basically a Liberal Arts Degree. I also have a Paralegal AA degree, a Real Estate License and a Land Surveying License. I have always wanted to teach, but could never set aside the time needed to complete my degree.

Through divine intervention, or a real bad economy (lack of work hours), I find myself able to devote time to my lifelong dream. The BA through Azusa Pacific is well on it's way. My intention is to enter the Foundational Single Subject Credentialing program at Cal State Fullerton. My dilemma lies in the entanglement of the CSET Math 1 and 2 tests. I have a long way to go, I have completed mathematics to college level algebra only. I am very good at math and can pick it up quickly. I have one year to pass the CSET 1 and 2 tests. What math courses do you recommend I take? Am I crazy to try?

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 26, 2011

College level math is a promising start, calilumber.

The first several questions in Subtest I are fairly abstruse number theory. The rest is pretty much high-rent algebra. Subtest II is combines geometry and statistics/probability. If you've got room in your schedule for some courses, look at the list of topics in the subtest descriptions for each of Subtests I and II, then see which courses in Azusa Pacific's catalog come closest to discussing them. (You may need to chat up a professor or two about this. Are you at one of Azusa Pacific's satellite centers, or are you on the for-real bricks-and-mortar campus?)

If you're good at self-study, try getting hold of the resources suggested by A to Z members innovationguy and Malcolm - they're both fond of Schaum's Outlines, though I think it's innovationguy who also has a soft spot for Barron's Geometry the Easy Way (a book that is, in my view, mildly misnamed). Combine these with some of the riches from the remarkable Khan Academy, http://www.khanacademy.org.

If you'd prefer a more guided approach and are willing to work online, I can suggest someone.

32. calilumber

calilumber Rookie

Dec 26, 2011

Your very kind.

Thank you for the kind reply, TeacherGroupie.

1. I am attending APU at a satellite campus.

2. I am horrible at self study!

3. I love the Khan academy.

I purchased a CSET subtest from "csetmathguru" (could not post link)

I was under the impression that subtest 1 was number theory and algebra; sadly, after looking at this test prep material, I came to the realization I am going to need :help:!

I would consider anything at this point.

Again, thank you kindly for your prompt response :thumb:

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 26, 2011

Subtest I *is* number theory and algebra - but it's emphatically not math on the high-school level. (CSETs as a class are designed to test subject-matter knowledge at a level beyond what one will teach.)

Look for a PM (= private message) from me.

34. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jan 16, 2012

Here is something to keep in mind for any prospective test takers. The exam was designed to be taken within 5 hours (all 3 subtests). Hence, you have to realize they cannot go into extreme detail or length on the material. Here are some tips:

1) Don't force yourself to memorize every formula, theorem, postulate, etc. You are really wasting your time as there are too much material to memorize. What you need to focus on are the foundational level stuff for each concept. For example, if you are studying for Geometry, you will need to know how to do proofs. You will find that there are a huge abundance of postulates and theorems, but only the more common ones will be necessary.

2) Questions on the exams are designed in a way that it can help guide you on the right path. Aside from subtest 2, you can't use a calculator. Thus, most problems requiring calculations will always work out well in terms of cancelling and/or small numbers. In other words, if you find yourself multiplying 88x23 or doing some long arithmetic, you are off track. Remember all 3 subtests are doable in 5 hours so they will not have you sit there wasting time doing basic arithmetic!

3) Don't be turned off by the practice exam on the CSET website. Those samples are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder than anything you'll see on the actual exam. Use it to study, and as a barometer on whether you are ready, but with some leeway.

4) There is a test every 2 months. If time is in your favor, just take one subtest at a time so you have 5 hours each.

35. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jan 16, 2012

THIS. Don't go looking at an algebra book to study for subtest 1. Buy a pre-calculus book. That is the level of algebra required in subtest 1.

36. calilumber

calilumber Rookie

Jan 19, 2012

Thank you very much for the information. I did get a very good Pre-calc book for the Algebra. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: