CSET English Subtest III - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Anthony Brian, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Anthony Brian

Anthony Brian New Member

Sep 23, 2020

Hello Everybody,

I'm currently having a difficult time trying to pass this exam. This is going to be my fourth time taking it in December. I managed to pass Subtest I, II, and IV.

I'm currently a Paraeducator and would like to teach English at a high school level. Generally, I'm not a great test taker and found myself rushing on the test to finish both essays. I've been marked for subject matter knowledge and depth.

I'm looking for any piece of advice or material that I need to help better prepare for this time around.

If I don't pass this time around I'm going to reconsider on changing my career.

Thank you again,
    Anthony

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2020

Did you get k, d on both responses, or k on one and d on the other?

4. Anthony Brian

Anthony Brian New Member

Sep 25, 2020

I got k & d for both essays.

5. brandon vu

brandon vu New Member

Sep 30, 2020

Hey Anthony, I recently passed subtest 3 and like you, I also struggled with the time crunch for each test. I spent an hour and 30 minutes on the first essay and literally rushed the last 30 minutes to finish the second essay. I thought I failed because my concluding paragraph was awful and both essays were under 500-600 words.

I found that analyzing the sample essays given by CTC to be really helpful and I also used the study guide "CSET English Subtests I-IV Book". For my essays, I literally emulated the CTC essays that were considered passing--for the first essay you just gotta find the common theme between the two excerpts, identify the literary devices used, and also a distinction between the two. I mentioned line breaks, imagery, personification, and enjambment.

for the second essay, which I rushed, I mentioned general rhetorical devices such as ethos and pathos and I also mentioned how the writer of the article used anecdotes and statistics to give themselves more credibility in their writing.

You just gotta really analyze those sample essays and break down those paragraphs. Use those samples as frames for your essays.

ssm and VelveetaFog like this.