CSET English IV

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by mchl, Aug 22, 2020.

1. mchl

mchl New Member

Aug 22, 2020

Hello! First of all, I've been using this forum for resources to prep for for the CSET - thank you!
    I recently took all English subtests in a row and passed I - III. Unfortunately, I narrowly missed subtest IV uugghh. I got a 212 and two 'k's on assignments 3 & 4. Thinking back to the questions, I'm unsure of how exactly to improve. I pulled up some rather old threads here on the subtest, but would like to get some updated info. I may have reached the point of over-googling and now feel even more unfocused...

So, what are the best subtest IV tips and resources out there?
    Also if anyone has a good resource to link up with a tutor, I may look into that as well.

Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2020

Welcome aboard, mchl!

If you took all four subtests of CSET English in one go to pass the first three and come so close on Subtest IV, well done, you! That's a long hard slog, and it's entirely possible that you simply ran out of steam.

I'm cautiously certain that older versions of CSET English IV are still being administered, so the older materials could still be relevant.

4. mchl

mchl New Member

Sep 3, 2020

Thank you! I truly hope I ran out of steam. Though I'm afraid I've looked through every practice question that's available and hitting a resource wall... I would really rather not have to take this one a third time, so fingers crossed! I'll be taking it next weekend.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2020

These are short answers, not essays. Lead with your conclusion, then support with evidence - bearing in mind that, unless a constructed response prompt explicitly instructs you otherwise, you're writing for fellow teachers who know the content on an adult level and want to know that you do too. This means that you use correct technical terminology as the insiders' shorthand that it is; if you're asked to define term A, you don't have to define technical terms B through H that you use to define term A.

6. Elizabeth Platt

Elizabeth Platt New Member

Sep 6, 2020

I just took all 4 subtests yesterday. Passed the first two for sure, and I'm pretty confident I passed the III. If I fail one, it will be subtest IV. What do you study to prepare for subtest IV? Just vocabulary to memorize all the technical/academic words the scorers are looking for. I need ideas on what more to study also.

7. Susana Matthews_G

Susana Matthews_G New Member

Oct 22, 2020

Elizabeth,

Well done. I am just starting to look into the tests, any material or reference I can look at? I was thinking of taking subtest 1 first,

Many thanks,

8. Ted danson

Ted danson New Member

Nov 5, 2020

I have found that the most updated study materials contain false information. The study book states thing like the name "silver screen" comes from black and white aspects of coloration, suggests that "Lilies of the Valley" was released after the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and that World of Warcraft is a web application based game. How can I trust the credibility of the material when it is giving incorrect information on every other page? (This is all verifiable)

9. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Nov 5, 2020

You mean "Lilies of the Field", the movie released in 1963 and based on a 1962 book?
    Which study material is this? Hope it isn't official stuff.

But if "World of Warcraft" is not a web application based game, what is it?

10. ssm

ssm New Member

Jan 15, 2021

Hey! Congratulations on passing! I'm taking my cset next week and wanted to ask what resources you used? I've been using the REA book primarily. Did you feel that helped you? Thank you!