CSET CHEMISTRY

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by DOBY, Sep 10, 2011.

1. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 10, 2011

Hello to everyone out there studying to pass a test!!! I am studying for cset chemistry. Its been years since I took a chemistry class. I want to know who took the test already, how hard is it, what text book or material did you use or any resources you think that can help me? Please someone respond. I have seen posts on biology, earth science, I can't remember anything on chemistry. All you chemist out there or anyone who has ideas please share and help!!!!!

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2011

TeacherGroupie probably has some great advice, but in the meantime, I recommend MCAT study guides.

I used the physics guides for the Praxis. They are pretty thorough and probably preparing you for a tougher exam than you will actually take.

Since I was also refreshing skills when I took the chemistry Praxis, I read through the Chemistry for Dummies, and Organic Chemistry for Dummies books and made a note of the topics I was hazy on--those are the ones I worked on in my college textbooks.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

For all of the science cset tests I've taken so far (118, 119 and earth sci), I used college textbooks. I plan to pull mine out when I begin studying for the chemistry one.

Really read through the cset domains outlined in the test guide. Very helpful in figuring out what to focus on in your studies.

5. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

Thank you Mollydoll and Peachyness. Great advice. Yeah.. I will have to rush to the library on tuesday. The are closed sunday and monday. Any idea on the particular college book or any chem. college book is fine? MCAT study guides should be in the library too right Mollydoll?

6. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

Okay I printed out the cset domain outline. All I need are books to get started with studying. Are there any good online resources that anyone knows or has come across?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2011

Try Googling phrases from the outline, and play a bit among the threads that turn up. A tip I owe to innovationguy (who teaches CSET Math) is to add the word "applet" to your Google search term: this will bring up Web sites containing Java applets and your search term - and, with luck, Java applets that animate that search term.

As you study, you'll probably find that you start remembering the material.

Try these links for starters:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chemlab/info/resources/applets.html

http://bigcat.fhsu.edu/chemistry/twiese/glossary/chemglossary.htm

Glossaries are useful sources of terms to Google for further explanation.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2011

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2011

In regards to books, the cset guide lists these two books:

Brown, Theodore L.; LeMay, Jr., H. Eugene; and Bursten, Bruce Edward. (2002). Chemistry: The Central Science (9th edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
    A standard in general chemistry, this text provides a broad introduction to all areas of chemistry. A useful CD-ROM is available with the student text.

Zumdahl, Steven S., and Zumdahl, Susan. (2000). Chemistry (5th edition). Boston, MA: Houghton
    Mifflin College Division.
    This introductory text covers a wide range of topics in general chemistry

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2011

It would make sense to look for editions that are a little more recent, of course.

And yes, Peachy: Khan Academy is grand stuff.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2011

Yes, I noticed they were pretty old too, but wanted to share what they had on their guide. :)

12. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

I most thank everyone for all these valuable information. I agree with u TeacherGroupie, the Khan Academy is awesome. Thank you Peachyness. I think knowing the exact text book to look for is really helpful.

13. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

I doubt if the library will have the latest edition. I will check the county library book search first. I guess I will have to buy the two books if the library doesn't have them. TeacherGroupie, thanks for that site with the glossary. I printed the glossary and plan to make flash cards with each terminology.

14. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

I am confused about what subtest I need to take. I came across chemistry specialized-121 and 125. can someone explain the differences to me. Does that mean I have to take 118, 119, & 121 or is it possible to take just 125 and how do they differ?

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

You don't need the latest editions of chemistry textbooks. I would recommend choosing one, then buy a used copy on Amazon. Just look through the editions available until you find one in the price range you want to pay. Usually, you can find one that is 2-3 years old for $10-15.

I like the Silberberg book; Zumdahl is also excellent. Both have good examples throughout the text.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2011

If you want to be able to teach general science up to 9th grade and chemistry up to 12th, then you want to take 118, 119 and 121. BUT, if you ONLY want to teach chemistry, then you want to take 125, but then, this MAY limit your job options.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2011

molly, that's good advice; I just meant that the ten-year-old editions on the CSET Web site were probably a bit older than would be useful.

DOBY, if you want to teach just chemistry - which will pretty well limit you to teaching grade 10 and up - you take 121 (Subtest III in chemistry) and 125 (Subtest IV). You take the general science subtests 118 and 119 (Subtests I and II) plus 121 if you want to teach chemistry plus general science - where "general science" means middle-school science or corresponding coursework intended for students in whatever grade who aren't ready for real live biology, chemistry, geoscience, or physics coursework.

18. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

Thank you Mollydoll, I don't know what book I like until I see the old editions at the library tuesday. TeacherGroupie, do you mean one cannot take only 125, it has to be 121 & 125? I am hoping its only 125, less to study you know(laughs). Chemistry is only thought in 10th - 12th right? Please clarify.

19. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

Peachyness, did you say yes to only 125? I suppose that is for specialized chemistry? I will like to know if I can take just 125, or am I taking 121 and 125.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 12, 2011

(a) Yes, it has to be 121 AND 125.

(b) There might be districts that open chemistry to ninth graders, but both the districts and the ninth graders would be rather unusual, I think. Local conditions may vary, of course.

Some schools might be big enough to be able to afford a full-time chemistry teacher, but the high school I went to (admittedly, some time ago) was fairly big, and if I recall one teacher taught both chemistry and physics.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

22. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

Thanks TG. I checked the site . I just have to study. Which science area are there more demand on?

23. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

T.G on the cset site u posted, I just came across the test guide page and it actually described subtest iv as the specialized. Do you think it is possible that only subtest iv is taken as specialized? it looks like it is either u take 121 or 125, still confused.

24. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

Oh.. here it is I found this quote from the cset site " To verify subject matter competence for this credential by examination, candidates must pass CSET: Science Subtests III and IV in their specific Science area.

That settles it subtest 3 & 4 it is.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 12, 2011

You could certainly add the general science subtests later.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2011

whoops, 125 and 121. My mistake. Listen to TG. She knows all. :D

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 12, 2011

I am not either a know-it-all! Though I'll cop to being a know-it-more, at least when it comes to teacher tests.

As to areas of science in demand, however, my crystal ball's been crazy hazy for years.

28. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

yeah..., i guess I would add general science later. I started cutting out the outlines for study notes as I read somewhere on this site. I have a library trip to make tomorrow and then I will go from there.