CSET Biology- Part III- July 16, 05

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Poo, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 3, 2005

Anyone writing the CSET single subject Biology/Life Science-III on July 16?? IF yes, please lets share our problems here !! Does anyone know what kind of questions may be asked in the part III ? Does it require extensive preparation, since I have heard this is pretty difficult to pass.

I have already passed the part I and II ...now hoping to pass the III part too !!

Thanks in advance !

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2005

Since you've passed the general science subtests, you know your stuff and you've probably checked the Subject Matter Requirements document on the Web page for CSET Biology... but if you haven't checked the SMRs, have a look, and pay particular attention in your studying to issues that loom large on the SMRs.

Tests like this tend to ask questions relating to fundamental issues in the field; even questions that look esoteric are usually asking about esoterica that relates to one of the fundamental issues (a question about some kind of mushroom you never heard of before usually isn't about that mushroom, it's about mushrooms in general - unless there's something really biologically striking about THAT particular specimen of mushroomhood).

You could also take a look at review materials that AREN'T for CSET: anything the SMRs mention prominently that also shows up in some other preparation guide or review sheet is quite likely to appear on CSET as well - and if it isn't asked about explicitly, you can wow the scorers by mentioning it as an aside in a constructed response to which it's relevant.

4. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 4, 2005

Hey Thanks for help !

5. walteria13

walteria13 New Member

Jul 8, 2005

im taking gen science cset I and II and the bio III I need all the help I can get what do you reccomend for me to study

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2005

The cheapest alternative is probably to download the Subject Matter Requirements document for biology from the CSET Web site, http://www.cset.nesinc.com, underline all the terms in it that aren't familiar, and then look them up on Google or Answers.com.

Textbooks from college classes are reliable choices. You can probably pick up some used copies cheaply at this time of year. Try checking the Web site of Powell's big and wonderful bookstore in Portland.

If you don't mind spending some money for things you can probably use later in your classroom, a good general science review is THE USBORNE ILLUSTRATED DICTIONARY OF SCIENCE (ISBN 0-7945-0064-1, about $30), which covers physics, chemistry, and biology in the sort of depth required by British kids reviewing for what used to be called their GCSE exams (in Britain, exams determine whether a kid goes into college-prep classes or into vocational classes). Since this is oriented to young people, it's very well illustrated. A less sophisticated but still excellent book - and one with better coverage of earth science - is Usborne's INTERNET-LINKED SCIENCE ENCYCLOPEDIA (ISBN 07460-3833-x hardbound, $39.95, 0-7945-0331-4 paper, $19.95). It has terrific art and experiments and contains links (that Usborne keeps updated) to about 1000 useful Web sites. Look for them in the children’s section or online at http://www.ubah.com/B1854.

Dorling Kindersley's E.ENCYCLOPEDIA in science is Google-linked and would probably also be a great choice (it's not one I've had a chance to examine closely, but the little I've seen looked very good). Most bookstores carry it in the children's section.

If you just can't stand to buy kids' books, check the SparkCharts (laminated review sheets) at Barnes & Noble. There are SparkCharts for just about everything you'll face on the test, including three or four that are specifically relevant to biology.

7. cbickley

cbickley Rookie

Jul 9, 2005

I agree the Usborne's Illustrated Science is an excellent resource; great visuals and well explained information. It is very appropriate for the depth of information required by Subtests I and II.

My other favorite resource is The Physics Classroom:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Default2.html
    • My physics bible! I learned everything I needed to know for the CSET Science Subtest I here! - I hadn't taken a physics class since 1984 :)

I took Subtests I and II in March 05- passed both, and Subtest III in Biology and Earth Scienc May 05 and passed both. I graduated in 1990 B.S. Human Development, so it's been a long time since I'd seen so much science in one place ;)

Good luck!

8. cnelson4

cnelson4 New Member

Jul 10, 2005

I too am taking all three sections on July 16th in L.B. - curious if you know any particular areas to focus on ... I'm pretty comfortable with everything but the Physics ... haven't had a formal course in over 20 years ... yikes! Found a great website that I've used though - http://www.specialedprep.net/CalifContentStandardsGenSci.htm ... I am hoping it has helped. Please advise me if you have any heads up about possible essay questions, areas of particular concentration - your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks & Good Luck to all ~

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2005

Whatever you do, don't overwrite: your subtests mostly have short-answer constructed response questions, and a little basic math should help you figure out how much time to allot per question (multiple choice questions in this subtest should mostly take about one minute each). I would expect heavier emphasis on practical aspects of physics (Newton's laws, energy, that sort of thing) than on real live physics formulas.

10. wife3kids

wife3kids Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

I just took I on 7/16 and thankfully passed. I'm set to take II next month. I, too, used the website you mentioned. Just curious to know if you thought it was useful now that you've taken all 3 sections? :thanks:

11. cnelson4

cnelson4 New Member

Aug 17, 2005

The website must have worked ... just returned home from vacation to find that I have passed all 3 sections (I, II, Biology III). Just signed up for Earth Science III ... Good Luck! I really think studying is the key ... :)

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2005

13. wife3kids

wife3kids Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

Congrats!

Congratulations on passing! That's great news. Thanks for the tip. I'll be studying from now until the exam. Good luck on Earth Science III - I don't think you'll have any problems if you just keeping doing what you've been doing :D

14. wife3kids

wife3kids Rookie

Sep 13, 2005

Bio III

cnelson4,

Just curious to know what material was used to study for Bio III, if any. The website you mentioned provides a link to info for Bio III but I can't seem to access it. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2005

If someone's used Barnes & Noble's SparkCharts in biology (Biology, Microbiology, and Environmental Science, among others), would you please let us know if they're helpful for CSET Biology per se?

wife3kids, I've heard good things about Usborne's ILLUSTRATED DICTIONARY OF SCIENCE (ISBN 0-7945-0064-1), which would also make a fine classroom resource. You might also try downloading the Subject Matter Requirements document from the CSET Web site (http://www.cset.nesinc.com) - or the CSET Biology Subtest III description document, which is more specific to that subtest - and using it as a glossary of important terms to look up on Answers.com or some other search engine.

16. nandita G

nandita G Rookie

Sep 14, 2005

Hi, I used the Biology Spark Chart, it's good but after giving the science 120 and 124 exam I think they are not that effective for CSET. They just provide an outline of the subject but for CSet you have to be thorough...outlines do not help much.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2005

Ah: the trick is to use the outline together with the Internet or some other suitable reference. ("Okay, I need to know about [fill in the blank]. I don't remember what that is. Let's see what Answers.com has to say...")

18. lcdrbaily

lcdrbaily Rookie

May 24, 2006

Hi, any updates on the Biology exam? I noticed the dates are from 2005.

Thank you!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2006

I think people started posting under Subtest III instead. I can tell you that the SparkCharts people have issued a nifty Environmental Studies SparkChart, ISBN 1411402626, that covers issues in ecology, assorted webs, and so on, as well as a fascinating Pharmacology SparkChart, ISBN 1411403398, that goes into drug pathways and metabolism - one could possibly wow the scorers with information like that.

And you could always get a new discussion going here!

20. lcdrbaily

lcdrbaily Rookie

May 25, 2006

Wow the scorers? I just want to PASS!!! I'm SOO angry! The place I ordered my book from is not going to send it now!!!

21. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 25, 2006

I'll repeat what I posted in another thread. Just a hunch for Biology, but Schaum's Outlines are at the appropriate level for Math and Physics. Ought to be for Biology, too.

I recommend Usborne's Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia for the general science exams. Usborne's Illustrated Dictionary of Biology would be a better resource for Biology. It is a good general refresher. But IMHO it will be far to general for the Biology subtest if Biology is at all like Physics.

22. lcdrbaily

lcdrbaily Rookie

May 25, 2006

Thanks Malcolm, I didn't know there was a Usborne's just for Biology. The main one was recommended. I haven no idea if their BIO book is sufficient enough so maybe I'll try the Scaums. It's a starting point right?

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2006

I generally recommend getting the resource that makes one say "Wow!" now and will be useful in the classroom later on. For you let me also recommend Advanced Placement preparation guides - where possible, sit down in the bookstore and check out the candidates before you make a long-term commitment.

If you don't mind me asking, what (in or out of the Navy) is your background?

24. lcdrbaily

lcdrbaily Rookie

May 25, 2006

Majored in Math, taught at the Nuclear Power School, played with Meteorology and Oceanography, hence NO BIO background!!!

Books with pretty pictures make me go WOW!!!

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2006

Books with pretty pictures are GREAT teaching and learning tools - why should the kids have all the fun??

Where (roughly) are you located?

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2006

Wait: you majored in math but aren't going for a credential in it?

27. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 25, 2006

The Usborne's Illustrated Dictionary of Science is just a compilation of the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Chemistry, the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Physics, and the Usbore Illustrated Dictionary of Biology. If you need all three, you can save some money by buying the compilation.

If books with pretty pictures make you go wow, then Usborne's is for you. You'll still need something more in depth, though, for anything except the general science subtests.

IMHO AP guides are a waste of money. At least that was my experience with math and physics. They are thick but there is a lot of air in them. I couldn't find one that covered the material adequately. And they were all poorly written. Schaum's was right on the money for me. But check out the AP guides, they may work better for you than for me.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2006

To be honest, I buy last year's AP guide from the bargain shelves, except for the SparkNotes Power Packs (which contain one or two SparkCharts, a passel of flashcards, and links to online resources). A good AP guide is useful not so much as a review than as a source of practice constructed response questions plus some indication of what a successful answer looks like.