CSET-ART

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by nasimi77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. scvlptr

scvlptr New Member

Dec 30, 2009

Hi , Is any body using this post?
    cset 1 and 2 for art?
    If my area of concentration is sculpture and I show 3 works in the same medium, can I show another sculpture in say ceramics in my breadth of work?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2009

Sure: you are. Welcome to A to Z.

I'd strongly recommend something a little less like your area of concentration. The point, after all, is to demonstrate breadth of expertise in art as well as depth, and I don't think that the scorers are going to see that in what you're suggesting.

Note, by the way, that the portfolio fills two functions: it allows you to show off your chops as an artist in different media, and in the accompanying constructed responses it also allows you to show off your chops in explaining and analyzing art.

3. pnutbutternjoey

pnutbutternjoey New Member

Jan 8, 2010

sculptr- I believe you cannot use a 4th additional scultpure in your breadth. You can call and ask but chances are they will tell you to use your best judgement and that following the guide is part of the test.

As for myself, getting ready for attempt number 3 at the art 2. The first time i was off by 12 points, the second time i was off by 7. Keeping my fingers crossed this time, any words of advice? If anyone would like to discuss study methods feel free to shoot me an email! langjoey@gmail.com good luck everyone!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, pnutbutternjoey. And congratulations on getting five points closer on your second attempt.

You should see a chart of performance indicators on side 2 of your score report. Are you coming up short on particular question types (multiple choice vs. constructed response)? Or on particular domains (subject areas) in the test? Did you get checkmarks on the constructed responses or did you get p, k, s, and/or d?

5. Ace1

Ace1 Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

I would think that Ceramics would count as Sculpture. I think the main distinguishing feature of the work is if it is 3 dimensional or 2 dimensional. I am not sure though, since my concentration was painting - though I did include images of drawings.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, Ace1.

I'm less certain that the distinction between two dimensions and three is NECESSARY to fulfill the concentration vs. depth requirement - but honoring that distinction seems like a straightforward way to satisfy the scorers.

7. sartalya

sartalya Rookie

Feb 6, 2010

These posts are old but I'd very much like to know what happened when you took the CSET. I'll be taking it soon and would really appreciate some advise.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 6, 2010

Leaf back through the thread, sartalya: you may find more goodies than you expect.

9. sartalya

sartalya Rookie

Feb 8, 2010

You're right! There are some good suggestions in the old threads. I am soo nervous. Used to be a teacher in NY, but everything's so different for CA. I have my MFA and good at painting, printmaking and art history and I CANNOT believe how nervous I am about this test. Reading the thread made me feel so much better, even if I still don't feel ready for the test. I have almost one month. THANKS

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2010

Breathe, please, sartalya. I'm guessing you'll come out just fine. How are you generally as a test taker?

11. rokera

rokera Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

how to pass subset 2?????

How does one pass sub set 2? I down loaded the study guide from the web site, but the guide did not reflect the test? I know that it can't be the same as the test, but I need something that will help me to pass the test. My score is 215, this is frustrating.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2010

rokera, what do you see on side 2 of your official score report?

13. scvlptr

scvlptr New Member

Feb 15, 2010

passed art II

Hi Teachergroupie,

I passed The ArtII, I used one sculpture construction, one pencil portrait drawing and one ceramic bowl, fire and glazed .
    I also took ArtI at the same time , but I got a 217 .
    So will retake it. My recommendation for test takers is to take one section at a time. I was writing and drawing until 20 minutes left of the alloted 5hrs. . I could only take that time to check #II, .

Some of the art history questions were fairly obscure.

Thanks to all for your insight.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2010

Congratulations on passing Subtest II, scvlptr, and commiserations on Subtest I. The good news is that people who come that close when they take The Whole Enchilada are often in good shape when they then tackle whatever bites got away on the first serving.

What are you seeing on side 2 of your official score report?

15. sartalya

sartalya Rookie

Feb 21, 2010

Not so great! I am good in art history, but I am getting really nervous. I just got the XAM sample test and was surprised to see how thin it is. There's barely anything in it. I know everything that has to do with paint and printmaking but not so much all the other stuff. Also, I'm wondering how the essay on my own work should be. I suppose I can prepare for that too so I won't get nervous and lose time thinking.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2010

Pay attention to how the constructed response (not essay!!) in the official CSET sample material is put together: plan on borrowing and using the Big Ol' Technical Terms, or terms like them.

17. sartalya

sartalya Rookie

Feb 23, 2010

Thanks TeacherGroupie!
    I did look at the constructed resposes and know what you mean. I have the old H.W. Janson book. Used to know most of it by heart, but it's been so many years so much is foggy. For anyone else who's interested in, I noticed that all the pics in the practice tests where in this book. I have started to review the book, as voluminous it may be.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 23, 2010

Sounds promising, sartalya.

19. pab205

pab205 Rookie

Mar 17, 2010

Hello all,

I took the Art CSET Jan 2010 and I passed both subtests.
    I have a design degree so my portfolio was more design work rather than fine art.

From my test grade it seems that the worst component of my scored did come from the free response related to my portfolio. I simply did not have enough space to write about my work. And I had to just sum it up in a one sentence conclusion. You may want to practice that for the test. You get at most two full pages to write a response and sometimes just one page so you must get straight to the point.

I found that reading through a California HS art text book is sufficient for reviewing the main themes that are tested on the test - form, line, shape, space, etc etc. They will sometimes show a work of art and you have to choose what the dominant principle is that the work demonstrates and to be honest with you a few times it really didn't seem all too clear.

The other difficult aspect of the test is that you will be tested on artists and especially California artists even if they are not well known outside of california and they also asked questions about Native californian art, i.e. Native American art and handicrafts.

You also must know the major art movements and artists of those periods.

And you must also know pedagogical theory but there are only around 10 questions on that subject.

They also asked some questions about photography which I don't think I thoroughly reviewed before.

Ah yes and I also forgot that they ask very very particular questions about art making - everything from printmaking to sculpture. So your years of experience in the studio will really help here. If you don't have much studio experience, it is worth it to do a review of all of the different art studio practices and the names of the tools and the processes. For example, lost wax casting and investment casting, etc.

Make sure you follow the portfolio directions carefully and try to at least jot down some thoughts about your work before walking into the exam. Don't wait until you get there :)

Or at least when you sit down to write, do a quick outline in the test booklet or write a draft in the test booklet before transferring to your answer sheet.

20. pab205

pab205 Rookie

Mar 17, 2010

I also forgot to mention that for your portfolio you must show breadth of medium so I ended up using work that I usually don't have in my standard portfolio and they don't grade you on your work but on your responses ABOUT your work.

21. pab205

pab205 Rookie

Mar 17, 2010

And another thing I forgot....geez my memory after a few months of taking it is fading away......

There were two compositions that they asked you to draw in the test answer booklet. They are similar to what they give in the sample test but not exactly the same so pay attention to what they ask you to do on test day. Make sure you practice doing compositions with the basic shapes from different perspectives and also do some practice doodles for the 2D line drawing - try to do several and each time to focus on a different element of composition. Also try some more challenging shadow positions just in case, i.e. have one shadow from a shape fall onto the other shape and make sure you know what it is going to look like. And make sure you know what the ellipses on a cylinder that is lying down in perspective look like...
    For the composition you are looking more to demonstrate knowledge of the concept, not so much an aesthetically pleasing piece.

22. zonafasciculata

zonafasciculata New Member

Apr 15, 2010

I passed the two art subtests on my first try. I have some advice for those of you taking the tests:
    1. Read through all of these forum pages. There are useful links and advice throughout, and I can honestly say they helped me a great deal. I didn't buy any guide - I just used info found on the web.
    2. Understand that the elements of art and principles of design are important for both subtests, not just the first. Know them by heart and truly understand them. So much of these tests is conceptual, and if you know the elements and principles, you'll be able to understand what the questions are actually asking. Sounds simple, but definitely a necessity.
    3. Practice using the principles of design and elements of art to analyze paintings before taking the tests. This will help on both subtests. Also analyze your own art in the same way.
    4. Really take this to heart - these tests are really hard. Some people on the boards like to say that they were easy for the sake of their ego, but they are really difficult and grueling.
    5. Keeping that last piece of advice in mind - take one test at a time. Don't try to take both on the same testing date, or you will most likely fail both.

That's my advice. A lot of it is already covered, but I feel so grateful to this site that I wanted to make sure I added something.

amanda myrdal likes this.
  23. zonafasciculata

zonafasciculata New Member

Apr 15, 2010

A few more things:

6. I don't have an art degree, but I was still able to pass these tests on the first go round. So, for those out there who are nervous - yes, the tests are difficult, but not impossible if you study and use common sense.
    7. If you have trouble remembering the principles of design, come up with a mnemonic device for them. That's what I did, and when the test began, I just kind of vomited all of the memorized information on a scratch page in the exam booklet. I didn't have to worry about it after that, I just had to refer to it.
    8. Don't be afraid to use Wikipedia to learn about art teaching methods. You'll need to know them, and wikipedia was a good source of info for me.
    9. If you are a working teacher or other professional, don't be afraid to take a day off from your job to study. I took two, and it paid off.

Thanks to everyone on this board. Your advice really has been useful.

amanda myrdal likes this.
  24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2010

Great advice, zonafasciculata, and congratulations!

25. kunstliebhaber

kunstliebhaber New Member

May 10, 2010

Just took both cset art tests a few days ago.
    one advice I would give, don't take both tests at the same time. it was really tough to stay focused and concentrated for 5 hours. could not go back and check my work.
    Make sure you write your answer essays for sub test II at least once at home so you have an idea of what to put down on paper.
    Quite a few questions covered photography.
    Some of the multiple choice answers were difficult, it was always easy to eliminate two but the two that were left seemed to stump me.
    Well hope this helps a little and I hope and pray I don't have to do it again!

26. audvin0103

audvin0103 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

cset portfolio

Hi I have been reading about the portfolio part and from what I can understand . Since my concentration is photography , I should bring to photographs and then the other 4 can not be photos but pictures of other stuff i did like on graphic design class or drawing class? Am I understanding this correctly ? Thank you .

27. audvin0103

audvin0103 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

To zonafasciculata Hi what did you do for the portfolio part since you were not an art major?

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2010

That's pretty much correct, audvin0103: your portfolio should show your breadth in art making in addition to your depth.

29. audvin0103

audvin0103 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

Thank you teachergroupie for the reply.

30. audvin0103

audvin0103 Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

Hi any particular books that anyone can recommend to get ready for the CSET (title or author?).

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 2, 2010

Depends. What on the online test guide has you most concerned?

32. rokera

rokera Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

Art Subset II essay

Hi, I’m having trouble with the essay connections and relationships among the arts on subset II. On the study guide there’s a sample from dance but I can figure out how to connect theatre and the arts. I don’t know what terms to use to connect the two. Is it possible to gets some hints?

33. rokera

rokera Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

help w/essay

Hi, I’m having trouble with the essay connections and relationships among the arts on subset II. On the study guide there’s a sample from dance but I can figure out how to connect theatre and the arts. I don’t know what terms to use to connect the two. Is it possible to gets some hints?

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2010

You're referring to question 17 in the study guide, I think. Since the study guide is posted publicly on the CSET Web site, I think it's fair game to discuss the question here.

Note that question 17 lists elements of dance for the test taker: space, time, force/energy, flow, level. The test taker's task is NOT to come up with those terms, but to be able to identify and discuss counterparts to those terms in visual art. "Space" is an element of both visual art and dance

For art and theatre, the task could be the same - and it should be perfectly possible to answer it primarily from the standpoint of visual art. It's also possible that the question would key in on the visual-arts aspects of theatre, of which there are many: stage sets, costuming, and lighting all can be analyzed in terms of the elements of visual art.

35. sartal

sartal New Member

Jan 3, 2011

I'm taking the test this Sat. and still not sure about the works to submit. I guess I can call and ask them tomorrow but maybe you can help. I have three oil paintings for the "depth" and an etching, a watercolor and a drawing with pen and ink for the "breath". Is that enough or do I have to include a 3d work for the breath as well? Thanks

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2011

If you're not sure, and given that the test is this Saturday, your best bet is to contact Pearsons at the phone number given in the Portfolio Procedure Manual for CSET Art and ask.

With that said, I notice that your area of concentration is painting and all your artworks involve two-dimensional art (though, fortunately, etchings involve a somewhat different technology than do paintings or drawings). If you've got something in ceramics or sculpture or fabric arts or carving or something else of the like, I might recommend substituting it for that watercolor, unless you think you can make a strong case for the watercolor solving a problem in art substantially differently than your oil works do.

The idea behind the breadth portfolio is to show that, alongside your deep skills in your area of concentration, you also have broad skills across the visual arts. The most straightforward way to do that is to show art of yours in Portfolio 2 that differs significantly in medium from the art you're presenting in Portfolio 1.

37. sartal

sartal New Member

Jan 3, 2011

Thanks for your response. I will be calling them today to make sure but don't know if I can get a straight answer from them.
    Watercolors are very different than oil paintings in terms of technique. My subject matter is also very realistic in the watercolors as opposed to the oils, which are very abstract. I do them to keep me practicing perspective and so on and in a way they inform my abstract paintings.
    I don't really have anything 3d other than a few ceramic pieces which are not quite sophisticated! Don't know if they would be enough. How about a woodcuts? My woodcuts are very involved and not basic at all.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2011

Which do you think best shows off the range of your skills?

39. audvin0103

audvin0103 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011

I am trying to fill out the art subtest submission form for my breadth and concentration. The problem is that both forms ask for the same thing. portfolio 1 concentration medium
    then portfolio 2 breadth 1
    breadth 2
    breadth 3
    Am I supposed to answer these the same? I called the CSET people but they were not very helpful. THank you

40. sartal

sartal New Member

Jan 10, 2011

The test was pretty long! And any breaks you take in the five hours that you have, will be taken out of your alloted time.
    The essays and the art work part of it were not difficult at all, but some of the art work they choose for some of the questions are quite obscure. Also, the answers to the multiple choice questions are made to throw you off. For some of them there are two answers that are not wrong, except that one is more correct, if that makes any sense. You must read all of them carefully before you pick one. It's been mentioned before but make sure you use the visual art vocab. There were quite a few questions on photography, so make sure you look the major ones up.
    For the portfolio they don't always say what they mean. They want to see different practices, not "mediums". That is to say if you have oil paintings for your depth, you shouldn't have any other paintings for your breadth, even if they're acrylic or watercolor ( as you so correctly advised me, TeacherGroupie).
    Having taught in NY for a few years in high school in college, I found the test a very poorly designed one which does not reflect any true knowledge of mainstream art history.
    I hope the info helps for others who are thinking of taking it. I will let you know what my scores are when they come in.